Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew expired UK passport in USA

Renew expired UK passport in USA

Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

zaphod1066 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew expired UK passport in USA

Hi everybody, sorry for starting another passport thread, I did a search but couldn't find an exact reply to my query, which is -

I'm living in the US and I need to renew my UK passport that expired ~17 months ago, looking at the front of the C1 form it says

"... and we can add up to 9 months validity from your current passport to your new one"

So can I still get mine renewed? I've looked at the ukinusa.fco.gov.uk site & I can't see anything that relates to my situation.

Thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew expired UK passport in USA

Yes, of course you can get your passport renewed - just follow the instructions here.

The text that you quoted refers to being able to add up to 9 months of the remaining time left on an unexpired passport to the period of validity of the new passport. Since your passport had already expired it doesn't apply to you and your new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

The important point (which may be what you are worried about) is that since you still have your old passport your application will be treated as a renewal even though your passport has expired - that means that the only document that you need to provide in support of the application is your old passport.

Last edited by md95065; Jul 7th 2012 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up md, I was reading it like I had 9 months to get it renewed...
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaphod1066
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up md, I was reading it like I had 9 months to get it renewed...
You've got 10 years before they treat you as a first time passport, these days I believe. Unless the passport is pre-biometrics.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

It's quite easy and more efficiently done that the US version, if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You've got 10 years before they treat you as a first time passport, these days I believe. Unless the passport is pre-biometrics.
Yeah mine is pre-biometrics, issued 2001, we're gonna get it sent if in the next ~month tho so hopefully that wont be an issue.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

britmoving is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if they return the old passport when you renew? I'm about to do this and would love to keep my old one....
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmoving
Do you know if they return the old passport when you renew? I'm about to do this and would love to keep my old one....
Yes you get the old one back.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rich!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:47 pm
Endangered Species

River Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really nice

Just renewed my passport, it arrived today (11 July) after less than four weeks from the time my application was received in Washington (14 June) They did not return my old expired passport (not that I really wanted it) Perhaps you have to ask for it to be returned?
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by River Rat
Just renewed my passport, it arrived today (11 July) after less than four weeks from the time my application was received in Washington (14 June) They did not return my old expired passport (not that I really wanted it) Perhaps you have to ask for it to be returned?
It's usually returned separate, along with any other documentation.

And wow, first post in four years, belated welcome to BE
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:03 am
Endangered Species

River Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really niceRiver Rat is just really nice

Thanks for the welcome Bob, have been a lurker and regular visitor to the site since joining back when ............. promise not to leave it so long before my next post ( see, 2 posts now!!! ) Thanks for the info on the separate mailing.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by River Rat
Thanks for the welcome Bob, have been a lurker and regular visitor to the site since joining back when ............. promise not to leave it so long before my next post ( see, 2 posts now!!! ) Thanks for the info on the separate mailing.
Steady on mate - it'll go to your head
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:24 am
Endangered Species

Don't stop me now I'm on a roll!! That's 3 posts in one day - twelve years worth.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

And it only took me 9 years to ask another question... where has the time gone?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.