Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bills- Sewer/Water/Gas/Electric/Garbage...how much do you pay?

Bills- Sewer/Water/Gas/Electric/Garbage...how much do you pay?

Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:03 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bills- Sewer/Water/Gas/Electric/Garbage...how much do you pay?

Just curious how much you pay as I am sitting here fuming about our most recent water/sewer bill- 1 month; $39.80 for water and $36.95 for sewer...$87.04 total (with $5.50 'sanitation' and $2.00 'stormwater' charges). We don't water the lawn, sometimes the garden (3-4 times for a few hours?). Seems way too high

Our electric is about $180 in summer (all electric house except heat), never seems to drop below $100 ever.

Gas is $15 when we use none (customer service charge...the city charges us for the privilege of being their 'customer'!!) and maybe $150 in winter. All this is for a 1500 sq foot house with just 3 of us.

Garbage costs us $1/bag (sticker system).
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bills- Sewer/Water/Gas/Electric/Garbage...how much do you pay?

Sewer we have a septic, so about $500 every few years to get it pumped out
Water roughly $90 every other month
Electric goes from a low of $60 in winter to a high of $200 in summer
Gas (Propane) is $55 a month year round on the saver plan thing.
Garbage is the cost of gas to drive to the dump about 20 minutes away.
House is about 1350sqft with 4 people now.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Sep 1st 2010 at 11:13 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Water: $20/mo (septic so no sewer)
Electric: $180/mo (all electric air & heat)
Gas: no gas service
Garbage: $55/quarter

We are a 2person household and keep the temp around 75degrees in an ~1750sqft house.

Almost forgot, the stormwater charge is about $42/year..even though we aren't on sewers and rain water just flows downhill to the lake in our subdivision.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 1st 2010 at 11:38 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just curious how much you pay as I am sitting here fuming about our most recent water/sewer bill- 1 month; $39.80 for water and $36.95 for sewer...$87.04 total (with $5.50 'sanitation' and $2.00 'stormwater' charges). We don't water the lawn, sometimes the garden (3-4 times for a few hours?). Seems way too high

Our electric is about $180 in summer (all electric house except heat), never seems to drop below $100 ever.

Gas is $15 when we use none (customer service charge...the city charges us for the privilege of being their 'customer'!!) and maybe $150 in winter. All this is for a 1500 sq foot house with just 3 of us.

It all depends upon local conditions. At least you acknowledge that there is a basis for the high sewer charge and the relatively low stormwater charge. On garbage, that can vary a lot. Many places do not have government pick up of garbage. I know that the LA DWP combines electric, water, garbage and ancillary fees in one bill.

The gas bill sound weird. The gas here is private which is a regulated private utility. [In Northern California -- gas & electric is often combined -- e.g. Pacific Gas & Electric].
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What's the sticker system?

Electric averages to about $55 monthly (we pay every two months)
Gas is: Lowest (Aug) $25, Highest (Feb) $130ish
Water: $20 monthly, summer it will go up to around $25
Sewer: $30 monthly (average) we pay that every two months as well
Trash: again $30 monthly and we pay every two months

These are the lowest utility bills I've ever paid (aside from living in the UK) when I lived in So California they were a lot higher!

That's for a 2100 sq foot house and three of us as well.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You don't use gas for heating water? That seems very inefficient.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What's the sticker system?

Electric averages to about $55 monthly (we pay every two months)
Gas is: Lowest (Aug) $25, Highest (Feb) $130ish
Water: $20 monthly, summer it will go up to around $25
Sewer: $30 monthly (average) we pay that every two months as well
Trash: again $30 monthly and we pay every two months

These are the lowest utility bills I've ever paid (aside from living in the UK) when I lived in So California they were a lot higher!

That's for a 2100 sq foot house and three of us as well.
I envy you! You live in Northern CA if I recall correctly?

Originally Posted by Michael
You don't use gas for heating water? That seems very inefficient.
It is what was here when I bought it...and brand new at that. Next will be an on-demand gas fired h2o heater.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you! You live in Northern CA if I recall correctly?

It is what was here when I bought it...and brand new at that. Next will be an on-demand gas fired h2o heater.
No, we're up near Tacoma (or Seattle, whichever you know better lol)
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Water - all charges are for 2 months.

Fixed 'sanitation service charge' of $102.00

Fixed 'readiness to serve' charge of $25.34

Actual water used is around $40-$90 depending on time of year. There is a punitive charge if you go over your allocated 'water budget' (based on lot size, not family size, not logical if you want to encourage people to water the yard less )

Ironporer, your water bill does sound on the high side but again watering for 'a few hours' sounds quite a lot.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:06 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Monthly averages - yes I have a spreadsheet - I am just that sad...

Property Tax $1,025.57 (that'll teach me to buy a McMansion )
Home Ins $208.33 (includes Hurricane Ins)
Car Ins $145.66 (2 cars)
Utilities $116.69 (Water, Sewer, Trash) inc. sprinkler system
Electric $143.27 (Love my a/c )
Gas $50.55 (Don't need much heating in Texas )
Sat TV $112.67 (We don't get out much )
Phone/Int $97.59 (Must look for better deal)
Home Own Ass $114.16 (I hate these people )

Welcome to Texas - there might not be any state tax but they get ya in the end
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz

Home Ins $208.33 (includes Hurricane Ins)
Car Ins $145.66 (2 cars)
Utilities $116.69 (Water, Sewer, Trash) inc. sprinkler system
Electric $143.27 (Love my a/c )
Gas $50.55 (Don't need much heating in Texas )
Sat TV $112.67 (We don't get out much )
Phone/Int $97.59 (Must look for better deal)
Home Own Ass $114.16 (I hate these people )

You pay over a $1k a month in property tax????
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz

Is that property tax value your monthly payment!?!?

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 1st 2010 at 11:45 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

ChocolateBabz, those figures seem high to me and we're in the same city, although I'm within the Houston city limits.

Property Tax + Home Ins + Flood Ins $700 (escrow through mortgage)
Car Ins $128.66 (1 car - no driving history though)
Water + Sewer $15
Trash, city picks it up (+recycling)
Electric $200 for June, July, Aug, as low as $25 in winter
Gas $35-40 (water + hob + oven)
Int $40
2 iPhones $125 - our big indulgence
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You pay over a $1k a month in property tax????
We pay double that.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We pay double that.
Monthly???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.