Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:36 am
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice
Unhappy Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Hello,
I immigrated to the USA 16yrs ago with my Mom, step-father and sister. I never wanted to leave the UK but I had no choice in the matter.
I have tried to settle in and make a new life out here in the States, but 16yrs later I'm still homesick for the UK.
My Mom passed away after 3yrs of living in the USA. I only stayed on because I didn't want to leave my sister behind. She loves it here and has become a US citizen. I have extended family still living in the UK including my Dad. I wish that I could just move back and reconnect with everyone.
Life is never that simple because I am married and have 2 young children so I have to consider them first. I feel trapped where I am.
Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? Most of the posts I have read are from people who made their own decision to leave the UK. Are there any Expats who left the UK when they were younger with their parents but now wish to return years later?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 3:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Originally Posted by argyl1
Hello,
I immigrated to the USA 16yrs ago with my Mom, step-father and sister. I never wanted to leave the UK but I had no choice in the matter.
I have tried to settle in and make a new life out here in the States, but 16yrs later I'm still homesick for the UK.
My Mom passed away after 3yrs of living in the USA. I only stayed on because I didn't want to leave my sister behind. She loves it here and has become a US citizen. I have extended family still living in the UK including my Dad. I wish that I could just move back and reconnect with everyone.
Life is never that simple because I am married and have 2 young children so I have to consider them first. I feel trapped where I am.
Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? Most of the posts I have read are from people who made their own decision to leave the UK. Are there any Expats who left the UK when they were younger with their parents but now wish to return years later?
Yes - there was a woman called Calle (with a hyphen over the 'e' but I don't know how to do hyphens!) who was in a similar situation to yourself.

She moved to Florida with her parents at the age of 5 but always yearned to move back to the UK. She posted all her worries and questions on the board here; like you she was married to an American and has teenage children. Anyway - in November 2005 she sailed on the QM2 from New York to Southampton with her family and dog and has settled in the Staffordshire area (I think). She has posted her experience in the UK and absolutely loves it there (especially the countryside where she can go on long walks with her dog) and so does her family. She rarely posts here now, most people do tend to 'drop off' once they've settled down in their new homes.

Do go to the 'Member List" and look up 'Calle' or just go to the search engine for this board and look up her posts.....they go back to approx 2004.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Hello,
What does your husband think of a move to the UK? Has he ever visited? And how long is it since you visited?

If you do decide to return to the UK, you should obtain your US citizenship first (if you don't already have it). That will keep the door open should you want to return to America later.

Lots of people in your situation move back to their former country, realise that America is where they really want to be, but can't return because their green card is gone.

"Reconnecting" with everyone may be easier said than done as their lives will have followed a different path over the last 16 years.

And regardless of whether or not you decide to return to the UK, you should obtain British style birth certificates and British passports for your children. Assuming you are UK-born, they are British citizens (by descent) as well as US citizens.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Hello,
This is sad and I wish you the very best, stay around with us on here there will always be a few if not alot who will make you welcome to BE.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
hiya and welcome to BE, i'm pleased you found us so you can rant and rave and moan as much as you like after all that's what us brits are so good at

i came to the usa 5 yrs ago and yes at my decision however all was not quite as cut and dried as that may appear on the surface and quite a few of us on here are in a similar position. you're so right life is never as easy as we would like it to be.

any chance of you returning to blighty or 'home' as i call it to visit, has your husband been over to visit and if so what did he think of it?

anyway keep in touch with us all on here and as the saying goes 'where there's a will there's a way'

take care
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Since moving to the US have you lived in the same city or state? The US is so big. Maybe moving to another state or region may make you feel more happy.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, as JAG said, if you've got dual citizenship, at least you have options, kids could well be British and just need passports and you could sponsor your spouse...but that's a bit drastic of a move if you haven't been there for a length of time to see if it's still how you imagine it from your youth.

Either way, good luck with it, and introduce yourself in the US meet and greet forum
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:10 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes - there was a woman called Calle (with a hyphen over the 'e' but I don't know how to do hyphens!) who was in a similar situation to yourself.

She moved to Florida with her parents at the age of 5 but always yearned to move back to the UK. She posted all her worries and questions on the board here; like you she was married to an American and has teenage children. Anyway - in November 2005 she sailed on the QM2 from New York to Southampton with her family and dog and has settled in the Staffordshire area (I think). She has posted her experience in the UK and absolutely loves it there (especially the countryside where she can go on long walks with her dog) and so does her family. She rarely posts here now, most people do tend to 'drop off' once they've settled down in their new homes.

Do go to the 'Member List" and look up 'Calle' or just go to the search engine for this board and look up her posts.....they go back to approx 2004.
Thanks Englishmum, you saved me loads of typing.
Englishmum is right. Yes, I left England with no choice as my parents emigrated to the states. Hardly come on here now, as I am settled and busy. I do try to pop in occasionally though as this site helped me soooo much. I absolutely love being home and even after all those years it was worth it and it can work. Do take Jaj's good advice and keep all your options open...then if your family is willing, go for it. My children now are all dual citizens and now know what both sides are like. They are very happy that they have been given this chance and it opens many opportunities for them. They always have the choice where they want to be. Be prepared as some bits are hard...but with time you can settle...and its absolutely lovely here. best of luck.
Calle
Merry Christmas everybody!!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 4:11 am
Just Joined

argyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really niceargyl1 is just really nice
Smile Re: Relocated to USA with parents 16yrs ago and still homesick for the UK

Hello everyone,
Thankyou for replying.
I feel a little bit better knowing that I'm not alone.
I have been back to visit family in the UK twice since I moved away.
Everything was just as I remembered it, I never wanted to leave, but I had to go back to USA because of my younger sister.
My last visit was about 7rs ago. Since then I have married and started a family. I have an 18mth old and a 5yr old. My husband has never been to the UK.
In the past 16yrs I have moved several times. I have lived in Virginia Beach,VA moved to Centreville, VA, then Miami, FL, back to Virginia Beach, Hampton,VA, Williamsburg VA, now I am back in Northern VA area. I just don't feel like I'm home.
There are so many things that I miss about the UK I could go on and on...
The main reason I want to move back is because I still have family there.
I also want my children to experience life in the UK.
I am British born and have a British passport, I'm living in the States on a Green Card.
I can't imagine raising my children and growing old here. I know I would be happier being back home in Britain.

Last edited by argyl1; Dec 22nd 2006 at 4:15 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:16 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
Thankyou for replying.
Everything was just as I remembered it, I never wanted to leave, but I had to go back to USA because of my younger sister.
My last visit was about 7rs ago. Since then I have married and started a family. I have an 18mth old and a 5yr old. My husband has never been to the UK.
In the past 16yrs I have moved several times. I have lived in Virginia Beach,VA moved to Centreville, VA, then Miami, FL, back to Virginia Beach, Hampton,VA, Williamsburg VA, now I am back in Northern VA area. I just don't feel like I'm home.
I am British born and have a British passport, I'm living in the States on a Green Card.
I can't imagine raising my children and growing old here. I know I would be happier being back home in Britain.
I agree with JAJ and others. get your US citizenship first, then maybe you can discuss things with your husband and maybe agree to a trial move (say a year or two) that can be reviewed later.

This would also be an opportunity for him to delve into several cultures (as europe is only a hop, skip n a jump away). This would also be very positive for your children.

If he won't agree to a trial period in UK (or feels he can't go), or if you do go and can't reach agreement on a final palce to call home after the trial period, then sadly, you will be between a rock and a hard place.

You have lived in Virginia and Florida; not exactly representative of the US as a nation I'd have thought. But it is a big country and you cant upstix and move every other year just to try a different spot that might be better than the last.

I really wish you good luck with it all, sometimes there is no easy answer. Have you had much luck in making friends there? as this can help a lot if you meet genuine people who's company you enjoy and you are able to build a friendship with.

have a nice xmas
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,
Thankyou for replying.
So are you far from me then I'm in York Town VA right on the boarder of Newport News ?
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hello,
Hello there: My story is much like Calle's, I have spoke to her a few/times as well since she has been back. I had no choice either coming here to Ontario, Canada w/my parents...I am married now to a Canadian, & w/2 children and one on the way.
My husband...loves England...we went over there for a holiday in 2003 for 3 weeks, he & I love the culture, history, we have been saving for the BIG move ever since.. We watch all the british shows on housing etc and reading up on everything.

I always worry too, about what is better for the children, but children adapt, and England does have its rough spots, and its good spots, as with any country... I hope you can go over to England and visit your dad and other relatives....to reconnect, your children will understand, that this is part of them as well...and the UK does have alot to offer. Good Luck...PM me is U want to chat more. Merry Christmas!!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the US 10 1/2 yrs ago with our 11 yr old daughter...I only hope that one day she will also want to live in England.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:16 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We moved to the US 10 1/2 yrs ago with our 11 yr old daughter...I only hope that one day she will also want to live in England.
Has she become very American? My youngest was 10 when we moved here and seems to be forgetting stuff about the UK and I wonder if she will be completely American by the time she is 21. I don't know if that bothers me because I don't want her to feel unsettled here as an adult but at the same time...... I will add that we have only been here a year so it's early days.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Hello,
I came to Australia with my parents at 15, that was in 1956 and as I have posted many times regarding this subject I for one never settled....sometimes I think perhaps like you, we were the wrong age to have been brought to another country and that being " any country "
I am still in Oz as I now have Grandchildren and Great grandchildren,so it would mean me leaving them all behind should I return,but beleive me there are still days when I cry thinking of all the family that I missed out on growing up as at teenager in OZ.I go home to the U.K. every year and that helps....and have you noticed I still call the U.K. HOME GOD HOW SAD IS THAT :scared: someone once said immigration is like planting a seed in the garden,some seeds take root others just die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.