Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shredded Suet 911

Shredded Suet 911

Old Dec 24th 2005, 12:49 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shredded Suet 911

I really need your help
I have to get some Shredded Suet by tomorrow for a recipe for Xmas.
If not, what is the nearest equivalent available here (Atlanta)
Please help
Rob
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:27 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shredded Suet 911

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I really need your help
Please help
Rob
Well if you have a Brit shop nearby you might get the veg alternative. If not you're fu cked cos the septics don't really use it and it's a bit short notice for anything else.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:29 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

To the rescue....

British Norcross store in Atlanta. Sell Atora Vegetable Suet which is as close as you will get (Can't get beef suet here now).... Give them a call - they may have a box or two. Taste of Britain 73 South Peachtree Street, Norcross, GA 30071, 770-242-8585 ,

Not sure WHAT the recipe is, but for dumplings, I have used shortening... Whilst the dumplings were tasty, they didn't hold together as well...

Just done a google search and found this in the google cache...

Alternative to using suet to make dumplings and sweet puddings

Posted by Denise 19 Mar 2003 23:58 (4 replies)

I cannot get a good old fashioned store bought suet in Canada, only rough cut beef suet from some butchers. Anyone got a good alternative. I have stried some egg receipes but find they still come out rather heavy!!

Reply to this discussion Back to discussions

Replies

Re: Alternative to using suet to make dumplings and sweet puddings Posted by MAUREEN 13 Nov 2004 19:44
This is an excellent alternative to Suet, for both meat/vegetarians eaters alike.

This is for savoury dishes only and for lining pudding basins to steam the dish. eg steak & kidney pudding.

6oz Self Raising Flour
3 oz margerine
2 medium sized onions.

Mix all ingredients together and slowly add water until you have a consistency of dough (similar to bread dough) roll out as required.

Re: Alternative to using suet to make dumplings and sweet puddings Posted by Alison 26 Apr 2003 13:15
I know the problem, I live in Canada too. You can't buy or import Atora as it's a beef product and might have come from a mad cow....I used the butcher's suet, they'll grate it for you if you ask. The Christmas puddings and mincemeat were excellent. Much better than the dried suet in fact. And the suet freezes beautifully.

Re: Alternative to using suet to make dumplings and sweet puddings Posted by cath 29 Mar 2003 17:22
you can use butter or margarine in place of the suet. Weight Watchers use this recipe and it works, just substitue the butter or margarine and proceed as usual. Good luck

Re: Alternative to using suet to make dumplings and sweet puddings Posted by Chantelle 27 Mar 2003 12:46
try www.atora.co.uk
This is the main brand of prepackaged suet I and many others use in the UK!
I have also had your problem but decided to go for the traditional way and grate my own beef suet after being given a huge lump from the butchers in Australia! I dipped it in flour and grated it with a course grater. The rest I have put in the freezer for my next batch of Fruit Mince Meat which was surprisingly delicious bearing in mind I don't like raisins! Thanks Delia! Cheers Chantelle
Old Dec 24th 2005, 3:24 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I really need your help
Please help
Rob
Surely that would be a 999 type emergency?
Old Dec 24th 2005, 4:43 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking at recipes on the BBC lately and I noticed that anything with suet in the recipe seems to call for the vegetarian suet. I wondered why and found out that suet is actually fat from around kidneys..................nasty! Anyway you can request it from a butchers if you can find one as people use it to feed birds.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:00 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, I am in Duluth.... If you are stuck, I have a spare box, I think.... of the vege suet...
Old Dec 24th 2005, 2:32 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Rob, I am in Duluth.... If you are stuck, I have a spare box, I think.... of the vege suet...
Thanks all, Ill be heading over to Norcross I guess, but from here in Woodstock its a bit of a trek
Just cos Mum decided she would like faggots for Xmas!
Dont start :-)
Old Dec 24th 2005, 8:47 pm
Ivegotta Member

Thanks all, Ill be heading over to Norcross I guess, but from here in Woodstock its a bit of a trek
Just cos Mum decided she would like faggots for Xmas!
Dont start :-)
Found some in our local butcher, the "Butchers Block" in Woodstock, in case any of you locals are looking for it!!
Rob