Hulu plus

Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hulu plus

like looking through the Netflix thread so thought I would start a Hulu thread as I seem to watching more that lately as they seem to be importing a lot of UK content.

Currently we are watching a series called Supersizers go ....Edwardian, where they explore the food traditions of mostly the upper classes of England (southern England at that) Most of it is quite entertaining and in places quite horrible. They had an episode on 70's food and we realised a lot of our food likes are still stuck in that era!

My daughter and I are big fans of the 'Misfits' which is a teens show. My main attraction to it, is that is filmed in Thamesmead and in every episode I see the block of flats I lived in whilst I was dating my now husband, that was 28 yrs ago. To be honest this show and the other big teen show from the UK ' skins' I was quite shocked at the language and the amount of sex shown. Maybe I have just become sheltered with US TV

Tonight we are going to start a new show 'In the line of Duty' which is drama series about police corruption in England.

As we have antenna tv, it means I am not stuck watching programs like Grimm at the time scheduled as I can watch it at my leisure the next day. Sucks that CBS doesn't want to join the modern day but we cope.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:16 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hulu plus

Originally Posted by jjmb
like looking through the Netflix thread so thought I would start a Hulu thread as I seem to watching more that lately as they seem to be importing a lot of UK content. <snip> As we have antenna tv, it means I am not stuck watching programs like Grimm at the time scheduled as I can watch it at my leisure the next day. Sucks that CBS doesn't want to join the modern day but we cope.
jjmb, look into a Roku box. I didn't watch TV for 25 years (literally) because I couldn't afford a TV for a few years, then hated what was on for a few more years, then couldn't be arsed to pay a cable bill. Roku was a one-time purchase, less than one month of cable, and piggybacked off of my existing broadband connection. It draws from your existing wireless router, and and you can start and stop viewing at your pleasure. You can still add Hulu as an channel option inexpensively (something like five dollars a month). My husband and I adore the little thing, even though we don't actually use Hulu at the moment because I get loads of movies and TV through my Amazon Prime membership. Still, there's lots of other content for free if all you want to do is be visually distracted while you have tea.

What UK content does Hulu have? We'd get it in a minute if it had things like Derren Brown specials, the cooking shows, Antiques Roadshow, UK game shows, you know what I mean, anything but sports
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

diaryofalways is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Speedwell
jjmb, look into a Roku box. I didn't watch TV for 25 years (literally) because I couldn't afford a TV for a few years, then hated what was on for a few more years, then couldn't be arsed to pay a cable bill. Roku was a one-time purchase, less than one month of cable, and piggybacked off of my existing broadband connection. It draws from your existing wireless router, and and you can start and stop viewing at your pleasure. You can still add Hulu as an channel option inexpensively (something like five dollars a month). My husband and I adore the little thing, even though we don't actually use Hulu at the moment because I get loads of movies and TV through my Amazon Prime membership. Still, there's lots of other content for free if all you want to do is be visually distracted while you have tea.

What UK content does Hulu have? We'd get it in a minute if it had things like Derren Brown specials, the cooking shows, Antiques Roadshow, UK game shows, you know what I mean, anything but sports

Got a Roku box myself and it has been incredibly handy. Installed Plex and it allows me to stream media from my PC.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Blu Ray and get streaming Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime through that. Did consider Apple TV and Roku but opted for Blu Ray. Not Much British stuff that I have seen. Most network stuff is on, except CBS who have yet to agree to put their shows on Hulu. I use my laptop & ExpatShield to watch British stuff on tv.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 6:42 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diaryofalways
Got a Roku box myself and it has been incredibly handy. Installed Plex and it allows me to stream media from my PC.
Check out VideoBuzz, that allows you to watch things saved as favorites to your own or anyone else's YouTube account. When my husband goes back home to the UK after his mid-paperwork visit, we're going to try and see whether he can save UK shows to his favorites for watching in the US. We do not, actually, expect this to bypass the location ban, because I'll still be using a US internet connection, but we think we're on the track of something. Maybe. Possibly.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the advice about roku. We can get Hulu plus and Netflix via our Samsung Smart tv.
Does it record stuff, if you are able to stream it? From their website its hard to tell, very minimal information I think that is the biggest thing I miss about satellite tv the ability to record stuff.
Does it allow you to download things like Tunnelbear so you can watch UK TV?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at huluplus, but given that almost all my favourite shows are on CBS it seemed like a waste of money for me.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:22 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by jjmb
thanks for the advice about roku. We can get Hulu plus and Netflix via our Samsung Smart tv.
Does it record stuff, if you are able to stream it? From their website its hard to tell, very minimal information I think that is the biggest thing I miss about satellite tv the ability to record stuff.
Does it allow you to download things like Tunnelbear so you can watch UK TV?
Roku is a little receiver box, basically, that works using your wireless broadband Internet connection. It does not record, though I think that with enough connection slots on your TV, you could record from your TV with the same equipment you would use to record normal broadcast TV shows.

We have not yet seen the Tunnelbear channel available for Roku. There is a list of "channels" that Roku offers for streaming, and it is increasing all the time. We find that VideoBuzz (Google it; it does not appear as a default selection on Roku) makes it possible to see more UK shows than the other channels do, though it depends entirely on what's been uploaded to YouTube. It's good enough for us for the time being.

I've just added a "private" channel called Nowhere TV (again, Google for the link) that purports to having BBC content, and I'm looking into another private channel called Mummybox. Roku users are always looking for that elusive "perfect" BBC connection, lol....

Last edited by Speedwell; Jan 5th 2013 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:02 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Check out VideoBuzz, that allows you to watch things saved as favorites to your own or anyone else's YouTube account. When my husband goes back home to the UK after his mid-paperwork visit, we're going to try and see whether he can save UK shows to his favorites for watching in the US. We do not, actually, expect this to bypass the location ban, because I'll still be using a US internet connection, but we think we're on the track of something. Maybe. Possibly.
Download Expat Shield, it's free and gives you a UK address. Someone suggested it and I watched a lot of the Olympics with it.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:14 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Download Expat Shield, it's free and gives you a UK address. Someone suggested it and I watched a lot of the Olympics with it.
Hmm, cool. I've downloaded it onto my Windows 7 laptop. Technical questions: does it also work under Windows 8? Does it need to be downloaded and installed to different computers, or can I reassign my IP to my home network? If it's only good on this computer, fine, but I'd like to try using it with my Roku too.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, cool. I've downloaded it onto my Windows 7 laptop. Technical questions: does it also work under Windows 8? Does it need to be downloaded and installed to different computers, or can I reassign my IP to my home network? If it's only good on this computer, fine, but I'd like to try using it with my Roku too.
It's only good on your computer...if you want a vpn to affect the whole network you can look for one that covers dns stuff, openplay I think is a good one?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's only good on your computer...if you want a vpn to affect the whole network you can look for one that covers dns stuff, openplay I think is a good one?
I would stay away from http://www.unblock-us.com. Been having a lot of pauses on iPlayer recently. My other VPN works fine, so it's not an iPlayer issue.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I looked at huluplus, but given that almost all my favourite shows are on CBS it seemed like a waste of money for me.
Yeah, I have that problem too. I believe CBS and Hulu may reach an agreement in the next year or so. Or so I read.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

When I tried to download expatshield to my new computer which had Windows 8 it caused me big problems. got error message "bad pool caller" which I googled. at time did not know expatshield caused problem so returned first new computer saying it was rubbish, got second new computer dowloaded expathshield again, got same error message but was able to uninstall before caused any major problems.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

diaryofalways is an unknown quantity at this point

I was using ExpatShield, but today, suddenly iPlayer wouldn't work for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.