uk benifits?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk benifits?

Trying to help my sister plan returning to uk after 20ish years. We both live in Greece, which is becoming harder to make ends meet - so forget savings. As she has two kids, situation is desperate so will move her family to UK oin the summer. While the obvious plan is to get work as some as possible, it would be great to know just how much help she can expect getting a house. Citizens advice were nice, but say she needs to come back when she knows what she will earn - surely ball park figures can be discussed.

Also, she has been an ESL teacher for 10 years, but has no certificates- will she have to start as a teaching assistant? Are agents any good? Sorting out a house and job are first priorities , the school close to our parents house have room for the kids but rent in that area is astronomical.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk benifits?

As you are a UK citizen and you have been working in another EU country you should be eligible for all benefits when you return.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, we got that - but didn't understand how housing benefit works. If she is entitled to £100 a week, but can't find anything close to the kids school close to that, how much can she reasonably top up. Its hard to estimate costs of living when you've been away for so long. Also, a house will need furnishing, are there loans for this? Why does it seem complicated when we hear about non Uk citizens arriving of the plane and getting so much? Obviously once her and her husband are working it will get easier, but who should we go to for help for the first few months and can it be arranged before arrival?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are deemed to be permanently resident in the UK then you are assessed for benefits.

Benefits cannot be assessed if you are out of the country.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aliland
Why does it seem complicated when we hear about non Uk citizens arriving of the plane and getting so much?
I think a lot of that is hearsay.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to ask about benefits, but it is a concern. I am returning May 1st. I have some money from my job I worked at for 17 years and will be staying with my sister and plan on going to the job center after week of moving back to see what is available. My sister said I should be able to get housing allowance and job seekers but will find out if I qualify for anything and keep others posted. People on here call it 'sponging" etc but sometimes depending on circumstances you need a helping hand. My aunt, has never worked a day in her life, has lived on benefits all her life a lot of the time by making up illness etc I and others like me intend to find work as soon as we are able . I have worked all my life and never claimed a benefit in my life but sometimes we get to a point that if there is assistance we will be so grateful it is offered.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
I hate to ask about benefits, but it is a concern. I am returning May 1st. I have some money from my job I worked at for 17 years and will be staying with my sister and plan on going to the job center after week of moving back to see what is available. My sister said I should be able to get housing allowance and job seekers but will find out if I qualify for anything and keep others posted. People on here call it 'sponging" etc but sometimes depending on circumstances you need a helping hand. My aunt, has never worked a day in her life, has lived on benefits all her life a lot of the time by making up illness etc I and others like me intend to find work as soon as we are able . I have worked all my life and never claimed a benefit in my life but sometimes we get to a point that if there is assistance we will be so grateful it is offered.
You might not be eligible for housing benefit if you're living with your sister and paying rent to her. Claim forms certainly ask if you have any kind of family relationship with your landlord.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You might not be eligible for housing benefit if you're living with your sister and paying rent to her. Claim forms certainly ask if you have any kind of family relationship with your landlord.
Good spot. Yes, it has to be a proper rental agreement from a landlord for LHA (Local Housing Allowance). If you live at your sisters, then you will have to pay her keep money from any JSA money you get. For over 25s, JSA is £71 per week.

If she is on benefits too, then some of her benefits may be reduced with you staying there as you will be expected to make up her benefit shortfall (your keep) from your £71pw.

Originally Posted by morayeel
I have some money from my job I worked at for 17 years
How much money have you got in capital (savings, investments, property, land)?

Last edited by formula; Apr 11th 2012 at 11:34 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I dont' have much. I am leaving my abusive husband. We rent over here here. He only works part time and so we don't have much. I will have approx five thousand pounds and one suitcase!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Also, she has been an ESL teacher for 10 years, but has no certificates- will she have to start as a teaching assistant?
I used to manage ESOL courses in the UK. All teachers now have to be qualified. I would suggest that if your sister wishes to continue teaching, and would like to teach in the public sector, that she apply to work as a volunteer while at the same time studying for her qualifications. ESOL teachers who want to teach adults should start with a short PTLLS course, then move on to the DTLLS course with ESOL component (this is true as of summer last year - they change these things all the time). Most colleges of Further Education offer these courses.

ESOL teaching for children is virtually non-existent in the UK, though there is work available as support assistants in state education. These jobs aren't well-paid but are still difficult to get because they're extremely convenient for people with children.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks Petrichor, that is helpful. I've suggested trying to teach night schools, but she is reluctant as she has only worked with primary ages. As i teach 8 to adult, I know she could do it, but understand that she wants to stick with an area she is confident in. We are in the UK right now running around trying to meet people, unfortunately we can only come during Greek school holidays which are also holidays here.
She was hoping that support assistant jobs would be topped up with enough benifits to make it doable. While there are a lot of people trying to get into this right now, surly my sister's experience makes her desirable- but how to get that through to headmasters when your not available for interview is a big problem.
Any ideas?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Petrichor, that is helpful. I've suggested trying to teach night schools, but she is reluctant as she has only worked with primary ages. As i teach 8 to adult, I know she could do it, but understand that she wants to stick with an area she is confident in. We are in the UK right now running around trying to meet people, unfortunately we can only come during Greek school holidays which are also holidays here.
She was hoping that support assistant jobs would be topped up with enough benifits to make it doable. While there are a lot of people trying to get into this right now, surly my sister's experience makes her desirable- but how to get that through to headmasters when your not available for interview is a big problem.
Any ideas?
That's quite difficult. I don't know that many headteachers of schools with high numbers of immigrant children would value your sister's experience that highly. The children's backgrounds and problems are likely to be different, and the UK school system is complex. There is a lot of legislation and paperwork involved in education and while your sister will no doubt have experience of the Greek system, the UK system will be different. So, a headteacher is unlikely to see the potential benefit your sister would bring to the school as worth the risks of hiring her without an interview (and, in fact, I'm pretty sure the schools can't hire anyone without an interview as they have to conduct fair hiring practices).

I think the best way forward would be to move to an area with a high concentration of immigrant children and take a chance that a position will become available. Meanwhile, your sister could offer one-to-one English tutoring classes privately or through a teaching agency (there are a number of these now that can be found through a Google search). This experience would look good on her CV when she applies for jobs, too.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that. Its hard to understand just how much things might have changed while we have been gone. I'm giving her advice that I don't really know is the best thing, but today she interviewed and signed with an agency that seemed quite good to me (I've not been with a uk agent for 10 years, so I could be wrong) but she's not actually concerned with foreign language teaching, I am myself profoundly dislexic and I want to convince her that her life time of help to me is in fact more in line with what she will be expected to do as a teachers assistant.
The first priority is always her kids. Its a really huge deal! Her husband moved around as a kid so he knows how it effected him. The move is being made only to ensure a better life for her kids - I'm just the Auntie and my stress levels are high trying to work out what's best!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Its hard to understand just how much things might have changed while we have been gone. I'm giving her advice that I don't really know is the best thing, but today she interviewed and signed with an agency that seemed quite good to me (I've not been with a uk agent for 10 years, so I could be wrong) but she's not actually concerned with foreign language teaching, I am myself profoundly dislexic and I want to convince her that her life time of help to me is in fact more in line with what she will be expected to do as a teachers assistant.
The first priority is always her kids. Its a really huge deal! Her husband moved around as a kid so he knows how it effected him. The move is being made only to ensure a better life for her kids - I'm just the Auntie and my stress levels are high trying to work out what's best!
That's a good move. No matter the quality of the agency it will look good on her CV and she'll get some relevant experience. She should be aware that British children can be quite badly behaved in groups and she'd be well-advised to read up on dealing with behavioural issues before starting work.

Good luck to you both.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

She was hoping that support assistant jobs would be topped up with enough benifits to make it doable.
How old is her youngest child? If they are 12 or over, then under the welfare reform bill that starts next year for the new Universal Credit, she will be expected to work 35 hours per week at NMW (meaning earning £212.80 per week - £6.08 x 35). If the youngest is over 5 but under 12, she will be expected to find 20hours work per week at NMW.

Last edited by formula; Apr 13th 2012 at 3:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.