Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: Importing a motorcycle question

South Africa: Importing a motorcycle question

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

gerasmus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Africa: Importing a motorcycle question

Before I returned to South Africa two years ago I wanted to bring my Piaggio X9 500cc with me, but stupidly decided against doing so. I did not realise how ridiculously expensive cars and bikes are in SA.
My plan is to buy a bike in the UK, then ship it to South Africa. I guess that I would still have to pay import duties ? I reckon that even if I paid 100% tax, it would still be cheaper than buying a second hand model locally. I can also buy/ship from Netherlands, if that can get me tax benefit.

My question:
Can it be done, would there be any import duties ?

Upon buyng the bike I will only have the import certificate and not the two years' ownership. I do not plan to resell after import. I plan to use the bike daily as a commuter.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:10 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa: Importing a motorcycle question

Can't answer your specific question - but are bikes more expensive here? I have a CB600 -seemed to cost very little (compared to what I expected to pay). I am about to trade it for a HD - probably a night rod - are you saying this would be cheaper to source overseas and import?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Can't answer your specific question - but are bikes more expensive here? I have a CB600 -seemed to cost very little (compared to what I expected to pay). I am about to trade it for a HD - probably a night rod - are you saying this would be cheaper to source overseas and import?
Can you re-use the same training wheels or will you have to buy new ones??
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:20 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
Can you re-use the same training wheels or will you have to buy new ones??
I was hoping to emulate you in your Father Ted sidecar, coming home from the pub before being dropped off at your park bench so you can hurl more obsentities at passers-by!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Leave my park bench alone,its home!!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:42 pm

Leave my park bench alone,its home!!
Budge up mate, I feel the need for a game of chucking stones into a puddle....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't realise it was only a 600, thought at least a 1200 Fatboy!
You have any difficulty keeping ahead of the Taxi-boys?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:36 am

Didn't realise it was only a 600, thought at least a 1200 Fatboy!
You have any difficulty keeping ahead of the Taxi-boys?
Just paid a couple of speeding tickets. 146 in a 60 going past Westcliff. Oops. Got to sell it and get something older and slower...
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerasmus
Before I returned to South Africa two years ago I wanted to bring my Piaggio X9 500cc with me, but stupidly decided against doing so. I did not realise how ridiculously expensive cars and bikes are in SA.
My plan is to buy a bike in the UK, then ship it to South Africa. I guess that I would still have to pay import duties ? I reckon that even if I paid 100% tax, it would still be cheaper than buying a second hand model locally. I can also buy/ship from Netherlands, if that can get me tax benefit.

My question:
Can it be done, would there be any import duties ?

Upon buyng the bike I will only have the import certificate and not the two years' ownership. I do not plan to resell after import. I plan to use the bike daily as a commuter.
Look at the Sars website for imports, all the details are there. Being back over two years, not owning it overseas for at least a year, most probably means you will pay ALL the taxes, if you are allowed to bring it in.
(I brought my car back within the two years and got exemption).
By the time you've paid all the taxes plus shipping costs you will be way over what you can buy here. 2 yrs ago we sold a 900 Honda 1984 model with 11000 kms on the clock, immaculate, for R22k. You can still get brilliant buys if you shop carefully. Good luck either way.