Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default New procedure for getting UK police certificate

I can't see that this has been posted before but apologies if it has.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The cost has gone up to £35 too.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

mrssmith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

When did this happen? I sent my request for my police certificate last month probably around 4 weeks ago now and only yesterday recieved a receipt from them, acknowledging they had recieved it. The £10.00 cheque has not however been cashed yet.....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is so useful that I'm going to 'stick' it at the top of the page for a while.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of

when does one need a police records check? I'm in the US applying for AOS as I'm married to a USC (I've got all the jargon now!) and no one has mentioned a police check to me.....am I missing something?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof4
when does one need a police records check? I'm in the US applying for AOS as I'm married to a USC (I've got all the jargon now!) and no one has mentioned a police check to me.....am I missing something?
It won't apply to you only for those outside of the country..
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

thanks for the info!

as someone who's just sent the checklist back having got all of my documents ready (DCF london, immigrant visa by marriage) has anyone got an idea of how the uscis will view me turning up for my interview with a police check i applied for in november (2007) or if 'from now' everyone needs to have the new check (£35.. jeez!)

I checked the link from the uscis london and it's now a dead link to the metropolitan police website so it appears unclear if there will be a 'grace' period or not or if there has been communication between the police and the uscis at all.. i imagine there will probably be an update at some point but as we all know things don't always move that quickly...
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:39 am
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I can't see that this has been posted before but apologies if it has.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The cost has gone up to £35 too.
Slight note of interest regarding the title of this thread - this does not apply to Scotland, and presumably people who currently reside in Scotland and have lived elsewhere in the UK in the last ten years either.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt72
thanks for the info!

as someone who's just sent the checklist back having got all of my documents ready (DCF london, immigrant visa by marriage) has anyone got an idea of how the uscis will view me turning up for my interview with a police check i applied for in november (2007) or if 'from now' everyone needs to have the new check (£35.. jeez!)

I checked the link from the uscis london and it's now a dead link to the metropolitan police website so it appears unclear if there will be a 'grace' period or not or if there has been communication between the police and the uscis at all.. i imagine there will probably be an update at some point but as we all know things don't always move that quickly...
Hi:

You do NOT need the police certificate for the CIS portion of the "DCF" processing in London. It will be necessary when you get to the VISA part in the consular section.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info!

matt: no guarantees about WHAT will be required. Procedures DO change in the middle of an application, and we had to get a different type of police certificate right before our interview, so do stay flexible.

However, the thread running in the Immigration forum has this post, which makes me think we'll have to dig a little deeper:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...83&postcount=2
There has been some discussion on the canada forums as well. This is an additional service offered. The 10ukp subject access form route still exists as well. Although I am concerned that people will be informed that this is a new scheme and they will HAVE to pay the 35ukp .
Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You do NOT need the police certificate for the CIS portion of the "DCF" processing in London. It will be necessary when you get to the VISA part in the consular section.
Now, now, don't torture him.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

thanks for the info guys...

i should clarify that i am onto the final 'visa' part of the process (the checklist i posted was after receiving packet 3 etc..) and i should have made that clear.

i amended my post just before 'posting live' just to give a background on what i was applying for incase anyone asked but i can see now that i hadn't made myself clear.. apologies.

indeed i appreciate that there are no hard and fast rules and i guess i should apply for a new police certificate before receiving my appoinment letter (should be plenty of time!)

it would just be a bit unfair on all the people that have already acquired their police certificates recently to then have to reapply if they haven't had their visa interview yet, especially as we were led to believe that they were good for 12 months.. a slight moving of the goalposts??

but, hey... another hoop to jump through and to add to the pile will keep me on my toes

having this forum helps a great deal.. i've already gathered all of my documents and evidence and have sent the checklist off stating so.
because of that i wouldn't have found out about the new police check at all until possibly my interview date.. scary!

i'll keep checking in.. thanks again,

matt
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:36 pm

it would just be a bit unfair on all the people that have already acquired their police certificates recently to then have to reapply if they haven't had their visa interview yet, especially as we were led to believe that they were good for 12 months.. a slight moving of the goalposts??
matt, you know what saying my mother used to throw at us when we were kids that always drove me nuts?

Life isn't fair.

The visa process that we used was 33 days total, from petition to visa interview. The police check requirement changed during that month. We did have to get the other police certificate.

I am NOT saying that is what is going to happen in the UK, in fact I am not sure that I would spend $70 in BUX to get a new one on spec, but I think you should do some related reading.

From following the thread over to the Canada forum via the US immigration forum it is pretty clear that the Subject Access Form version is still available.
Don't Panic.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

matt, you know what saying my mother used to throw at us when we were kids that always drove me nuts?

Life isn't fair.

indeed.. as long as i don't have to eat my greens too

Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

sunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the roughsunny08 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. My man just sent for his I believe 2 weeks ago now in the UK and it was the 10 pounds.....I warned him just in case we now have to get him the new 35 pound one and not to be shocked if we do end up needing it.....oy vey.....
Oh well at least we have all of you here to warn us ahead of time haha!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man when did this happen?

I sent off for the £10 access request just LAST WEEK. I got a response yesterday saying to expect the certificate within 40 days.

Does anyone know for sure whether the "old" access request will be acceptable to the consulate for the visa process or not?

If we are unsure, does anyone know if you can have the old and new processes going simultaneously? I don't care about the £35, I just want a certificate that works for the purpose of the visa.

{Edit} In addition, the form asks for a date for travel? What's that about? How are you supposed to commit yourself to a date when your visa hasn't even been issued! Madness!

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Feb 17th 2008 at 8:17 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:06 pm

This is what the London Consulate website has to say on the subject as of today (for immigrant visa applicants); it seems fairly clear to me that if you are going to apply for a visa (as the two people who've posted to this thread are) that you need to provide this new certificate:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/ukpc.html

U.K. Police Certificates
How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom

Immigrant visa applicants, who have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, are required to obtain a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). Further information is available from their website at http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp. This police certificate will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her.

The police certificate will be sent to the address provided at the time of application. Please note that the Immigrant Visa Unit considers the police certificate valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, not six months as stated on the certificate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.