Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband has been offered a job in New York- can I work?

Husband has been offered a job in New York- can I work?

Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:50 pm
Waiting for GC

Linda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really niceLinda44 is just really nice
Default Re: Husband has been offered a job in New York- can I work?

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're H1B, then you won't be moving to the US in August, unless September suddenly left the calendar.

They apply for the visa in April, can't start work till October.

What category you fall into depends on what the job entails and your qualifications, you can't really pick and chose, you either are or aren't in a category pretty much.
Unless the employer is associated with an educational or research institution in which case they can file anytime and one can start work anytime, plus , if the prospective employee has a Masters then the application is exempt from the yearly H-1B cap numbers.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
Why do you say this?
And what is it that makes you say you won't be able to teach in New York?

If you have a Masters then it can make getting a visa somewhat easier, especially if you could secure a job in academia ie teaching people to become teachers!
Because the OP said she is a primary school teacher.

That's a big jump to teaching at a university.

So two things going against her, one that she isn't state certified to teach and second, that the school would need to get her a H1B visa, which they won't be able to afford and for which they would have to wait a couple months from school starting to when she would be able to work, because schools are capped for quota.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda44
Unless the employer is associated with an educational or research institution in which case they can file anytime and one can start work anytime, plus , if the prospective employee has a Masters then the application is exempt from the yearly H-1B cap numbers.
With some educational and research institutions, not all and the OP hasn't stated that her OH will be working with one, so best to presume that isn't the case, based on how unlikely they generally are to sponsor a visa in the first place.

And no, having a masters does not make you exempt from the yearly cap. Having a masters from a US institution gets you into the pool of extra 20K H1B's, but that is a moot point considering how long it has taken to fill the cap in the last 3 years.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because the OP said she is a primary school teacher.

That's a big jump to teaching at a university.

So two things going against her, one that she isn't state certified to teach and second, that the school would need to get her a H1B visa, which they won't be able to afford and for which they would have to wait a couple months from school starting to when she would be able to work, because schools are capped for quota.
Teachers have been laid off in NY over the last few years due to the economy. Again making it very unlikely they would go to the expense of hiring someone who requires a visa. The OP may have a better chance with private schools...they tend to like the British accent.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clarker
Hello!

My Husband has been offered a job in NY and we are very unsure of how things will work out for me...

I understand it that I can go out there with him (please correct me if wrong!) but that I can't work??

I'm a primary school teacher and have looked into the teaching thing over in NY to find that I definitely would not be able to teach. That's ok with me, I'd happily try something new. But if i can't work, I really don't know how I'll cope mentally or pay the bills!

How do couples make this happen/work? Is there any way round it?

Thanks very much
You could opt to do some voluntary work with local schools or museums, etc., that way you may also get to meet people and make new friends.