Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Teaching at the Al Yasmina school, Abu Dhabi

Teaching at the Al Yasmina school, Abu Dhabi

Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

wondering1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching at the Al Yasmina school, Abu Dhabi

I have a job interview for the school next week and, having spoken to some friends who used to teach in the UAE, am receiving mixed messages bout teaching in Abu Dhabi as it seems to vary immensely from school to school. Does anybody have any information regarding the school , especially anyone who teaches there as i do feel like i'm going into the interview rather blind, i do not even know the wage or year group the post is for!! Thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching at the Al Yasmina school, Abu Dhabi

You should be very happy to get the job at Al Yasmina. I have lived in several countries (USA, UK, France, Spain, Germany) and I have not found so good school which could compete with Al Yasmina.

Al Yasmina has the British curriculum and it makes the idealised impression of some immaginary, nice, clean, progressive and loving UK. The local Arabs would be very disappointed if they would indeed need to send their children to real, worn out, poor British school in the UK.

Summary: Your question is simply said not understandable and this is the reason why the people did not even bother to answer you on this forum. Al Yasmina is so good that people do not pose such questions.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know the answer but I think it was a pretty valid question.

If you have lived in all those countries dearest, one would expect one to have a basic grasp of the queens english. Enough at least to string a sentance together.

You have tried to be a smart ass but in reality your just an ass.

To the op, BB2 and the AD faithful will no doubt give you some feedback.

Toodloo
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes just quickly, as i am on my way out to rugby. al yasmina is a new school this september, the head teacher is an old senior head of bsak, after bsak he went up north to sharjah and then back down to ad,he is a lovely guy and very nice. loobylou kids go to yasmina transferred from bsak, and she is very impressed with it, jim harvey is the education guy in charge who is ex head of bsak, and a few of the bsak teachers moved to yasmina, from what i see and hear of it its good, has teething probs but because new school, the facilities will be really good as they have built the campus from scratch unlike pearl or bsak (other brit schools) who are limited on space and what they can do. more later
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much, this is all really helpful!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:37 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing as a stupid qustion. Karma for BB2
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Dear Wondering1,

please do not be distracted by Commander's comments - my native language is Spanish and I personally do not care much about 'queens English'.

My message to you is: Do not even bother being in doubt. Al Yasmina is better than virtually any school in the World, including even the countries where English is not in use.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:52 am
banned

How can you say its better than any in the world and expect people to take you seriously..

Are you a pupil there?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know the pay of teachers, as the ex-bsak teachers all moved to pearl/yasmina i believe they mostly got a promotion etc. the only prob with any job in this region at the moment, is whether as a wage (whether you add together allowances or lump sum) you have enough to cover the cost of housing, teachers usually get accommodation provided which i am sure is the case, so you can take that out of the factor, that is the real sticking point here at the moment, but the rents should be coming down but who knows when, i have heard that they have started a little so hopefully it will long continue, and go back down to a reasonable level such as a couple of years ago and everyone was happy.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
i dont know the pay of teachers, as the ex-bsak teachers all moved to pearl/yasmina i believe they mostly got a promotion etc. the only prob with any job in this region at the moment, is whether as a wage (whether you add together allowances or lump sum) you have enough to cover the cost of housing, teachers usually get accommodation provided which i am sure is the case, so you can take that out of the factor, that is the real sticking point here at the moment, but the rents should be coming down but who knows when, i have heard that they have started a little so hopefully it will long continue, and go back down to a reasonable level such as a couple of years ago and everyone was happy.
All the teachers moved from BSAK? Don't think so BB!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

did i say all no i think i said a few in the first and so was then referring to all of the the few in the second.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Ha i wasn't quite expecting people to be argueing overthe usefulness of peoples responses, was just hoping a few ideas all thrown into the hat would be helpful!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:02 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazic
Al Yasmina is better than virtually any school in the World, including even the countries where English is not in use.
Better than Eton?

N.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:07 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Better than Elton?

N.
Hunh????
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

My daughter is at Yasmina and my son will start in September. In my opinion it is an excellent school and far better than the vast majority of state schools in the UK.

It has fabulous facilities and my daughter's teacher is fantastic. The only slight downside is class size - up to 22 in the junior school - but I believe that is normal in the UAE (and of course in the state sector in the UK).

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.