Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Plumbers
Reload this Page >

Canada Gas/Plumber Advice/Info

Canada Gas/Plumber Advice/Info

Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the rough
Default Canada Gas/Plumber Advice/Info

Hi All, i am a diagnostic engineer (gas engineer) working for a uk company repairing domestic boilers.

What type of boilers does Canada have?

Are they similar or more comercial types?

Thanks

Jason
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Jjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the roughJjuk26canada is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Canada Gas/Plumber Advice/Info

Any Gas engineers out there?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

barrymmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been working here (BC) for about 6 months now as a plumber and gas fitter. The first thing I noticed was how old fashioned heating systems are.
Gas appliances with pilot lights out of the box are common place. I installed a brand new domestic gas boiler before Christmas and had to light the pilot light with a MATCH!
Gas firred hot water tanks are the norm as are forced air furnaces to heat homes. high effeciency appliances appear only to me making an impact when it comes to new furnace installations or 'tankless' water heaters.
I was genuinly surprised to find out how far behind Irish standards of practice (very similar to UK standards).
You shouldn't have any difficulties adjusting to work with gas appliances and controls here.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Barry, im heading over in May for a look. Do they have Gas regs and plumbing regs?

Jason
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

barrymmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - you'll need to look up 'red seal' certification. BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) is a good place to start looking into it. Best of luck mate.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barrymmm
Yeah - you'll need to look up 'red seal' certification. BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) is a good place to start looking into it. Best of luck mate.
Hey Barry, have you taken your Red Seal exam? if so what did you look at to revise?

Thanks

Jason