Living in Taupo

Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

andyg45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Taupo

Hi everyone, I have just got my ITA through and have a job offer in Taupo, does anybody know anything about living there, have done some research but would be good to hear some personal opinions...many thanks... andy
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:26 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Taupo

First of all congrats!

Don't know about living there but we have holiday-ed there and it was beautiful. We got a lake house and stopped for the weekend, very pretty place with some lovely restaurants
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I work close to Taupo, & have several friends who live in the area. They're all very happy there. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous lake, can be busy in the sumer with the tourists, but in fact has a fairly low resident population. I don't think it's a particularly cheap area to live, certainly I know for a fact that my work colleagues/ clients tend to travel to Rotorua rather than Taupo for groceries/ doctors/ dentists etc because there is a significant difference between the prices in the 2 towns, and for those that live equidistant between the 2 Rotorua is cheaper.
It can be colder in the winter than other parts of North Island.... and it's a decent journey to the beach, being pretty much slap bang in the middle of NI. But not far for skiing & the Tongariro Pass. Loads of adventure type activities.
I seem to remember that hazeandsteve on the forum live in Taupo, I'm not sure quite how regularly they visit though....probably worth looking them up & sending a PM in case they don't see this.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
First of all congrats!

Don't know about living there but we have holiday-ed there and it was beautiful. We got a lake house and stopped for the weekend, very pretty place with some lovely restaurants
hi, thanks for your reply, i've done a bit of research on taupo and it does look a beautiful place, can't wait to get out there, bet your the same hey
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi -We visited recently and it was gorgeous -but we are still happy where we are. Good luck in your new job
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tomsk
I work close to Taupo, & have several friends who live in the area. They're all very happy there. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous lake, can be busy in the sumer with the tourists, but in fact has a fairly low resident population. I don't think it's a particularly cheap area to live, certainly I know for a fact that my work colleagues/ clients tend to travel to Rotorua rather than Taupo for groceries/ doctors/ dentists etc because there is a significant difference between the prices in the 2 towns, and for those that live equidistant between the 2 Rotorua is cheaper.
It can be colder in the winter than other parts of North Island.... and it's a decent journey to the beach, being pretty much slap bang in the middle of NI. But not far for skiing & the Tongariro Pass. Loads of adventure type activities.
I seem to remember that hazeandsteve on the forum live in Taupo, I'm not sure quite how regularly they visit though....probably worth looking them up & sending a PM in case they don't see this.
Hi , thanks for the info, my daughters in laws live in whakatane, are you anywhere near there
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:06 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyg45
Hi , thanks for the info, my daughters in laws live in whakatane, are you anywhere near there
The lovely Numptyhead lives in Whakatane area, just in case she misses this drop her a PM.
B x
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guesstimating that travelling time from Taupo to Whakatane would be 2-2 1/2hrs, depending on terrain. Certainly it's an hour from Taupo to Rotorua, & then 90mins from Rotorua to Whakatane, give or take depending on traffic & driving conditions, that's the route I know, but probably the longer journey. The alternate route is Taupo - Murupara, which must take an hour or so, then along the Kawerau road to Whakatane. Should be a quicker route .

I'm not particularly near to Whakatane, visited the town a few times & I love the feel of the place, especially nearby Ohope beach , but really don't know it at all well. I actually live in Rotorua, & work in Reporoa, which is a small rural community mid way between Rotorua & Taupo....but have got to know the whole area on that side of Taupo pretty well.

Taupo is a beautiful place to live though, congratulations on the job offer there, I'm sure you'll love it ......and of course it's not too far to visit the in laws
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moving this to the main forum where you may get more replies.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

I'm guesstimating that travelling time from Taupo to Whakatane would be 2-2 1/2hrs, depending on terrain. Certainly it's an hour from Taupo to Rotorua, & then 90mins from Rotorua to Whakatane, give or take depending on traffic & driving conditions, that's the route I know, but probably the longer journey. The alternate route is Taupo - Murupara, which must take an hour or so, then along the Kawerau road to Whakatane. Should be a quicker route .

I'm not particularly near to Whakatane, visited the town a few times & I love the feel of the place, especially nearby Ohope beach , but really don't know it at all well. I actually live in Rotorua, & work in Reporoa, which is a small rural community mid way between Rotorua & Taupo....but have got to know the whole area on that side of Taupo pretty well.

Taupo is a beautiful place to live though, congratulations on the job offer there, I'm sure you'll love it ......and of course it's not too far to visit the in laws
Thanks again, I've had some good feed back about Taupo and we are all looking forward to starting a fresh there so to speak, I have 2 sons aged 17 and 15 so hoping theres enough around to keep them active and involved, and minds off girlfriends left behind i'm sure there is.
what line of work are you in, and did you move over from the uk
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again, I've had some good feed back about Taupo and we are all looking forward to starting a fresh there so to speak, I have 2 sons aged 17 and 15 so hoping theres enough around to keep them active and involved, and minds off girlfriends left behind i'm sure there is.
what line of work are you in, and did you move over from the uk
Good luck with the teenagers . Heaps for them to do in Taupo if they're into the sporty, outdoor lifestyle. Watersports plentiful at the lake, skiing not far...less than an hour I'd say, bungy jumping available too if they're into that. Also all the other, rugby, soccer etc type sports.

Probably less to do if they're into clubbing & the music scene .

I came over, with hubby & 2 teenagers (then 16 &15) from the UK in June 08. I had heaps of worries about the children, and I do know that some teenagers have struggled to adapt and some have returned to the UK, but so far mine are now 18 & 16.....and loving their lives here. I hope it stays that way .

Work wise, I'm a nurse, working in rural health. A bit of an odd job, but I really fell on my feet when I found it because it's a fabulous job with a great team
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:28 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy.
We live here, we love it, what's your line of work?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Good luck with the teenagers . Heaps for them to do in Taupo if they're into the sporty, outdoor lifestyle. Watersports plentiful at the lake, skiing not far...less than an hour I'd say, bungy jumping available too if they're into that. Also all the other, rugby, soccer etc type sports.

Probably less to do if they're into clubbing & the music scene .

I came over, with hubby & 2 teenagers (then 16 &15) from the UK in June 08. I had heaps of worries about the children, and I do know that some teenagers have struggled to adapt and some have returned to the UK, but so far mine are now 18 & 16.....and loving their lives here. I hope it stays that way .

Work wise, I'm a nurse, working in rural health. A bit of an odd job, but I really fell on my feet when I found it because it's a fabulous job with a great team
Sounds like you have all settled in really well, our sons are both active and into sports , both will love the outdoors although xbox and facebook seems be their lifestyle choice at the moment,
I'm a carpenter and my wife Heidi is a family project worker and also experience as a teachers assistant, Ive got a job to go to but my wife is a little concerned as to if she can find anything in her line.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Hi Andy.
We live here, we love it, what's your line of work?
Im a carpenter, and my wife Heidi is a family project worker, whats your occupation? it's nice to hear so many positive things about Taupo, can be a bit daunting thinking about moving somewhere that you have no knowledge of hey, but it sounds really nice and so looking forward to getting out there, hopefully by august and in time for spring, where in the uk are you from originally
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:27 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We used to call the Isle of Wight home, which may be one of the reasons NZ was easy to settle in.

There's more than enough to keep the kids occupied (and this comes from a childless couple who don't need to know about this stuff!), even more so if you'll let them of the reins to get out and about.....
All the activities you could want on the lake. Sailing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, fishing.
Hundreds of miles of off road walking and mountain bike tracks.
World standard road and motocross tracks, and mile after mile of off road enduro riding. All of which have local clubs.
The mountains in winter we normally hit for a weekend at least once a month, and if not staying down then we're there most weekends.
Numerous sports clubs.
Skate and BMX parks.
Golf clubs.
In fact, if you don't let them get out, then you're gonna ruin them!

I'm an aircraft engineer by trade, and have had the chance to move and get back into planes, but this place has us hooked to the extent that I'm happy to slowly tick of the exams I need to wangle a local job.
Haze is a mobile hairdresser, and between us we earn more than enough to live, but that's primarily down to the fact that we have.....and listen carefully to this.....NO MORTGAGE!
Don't, if you can afford it, think "ooooh, we'll just borrow $50k" If you can buy outright, then lower your expectations and do so. We know people with huge houses, which leads to huge heating bills in winter, and huge rates bills, who can't afford the social life we have. We run two cars, a motorbike and a boat, and get out to our locals every week if we want to.

If you need more info, feel free to ask openly here, or PM. It may take a few days for a reply, but I'll help when I can.
Also, hope this works, look here... http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect....er/viewer.aspx but it may, I've just discovered, cost you. I'm sure there's other links, so I'll see later what I can find to help.

As for the beach, you don't need to go to the coast to be there. Piha Rescue has put me off swimming in the sea, too many people drowning in rips, you don't get them here! No sharks neither, and with the neighbour flinging me snapper each time he goes fishing, I'm quite happy to use the lake instead for most aquatic stuff.

So who is your job offer with? I'm involved with lots of chippy type builders cos I'm currently in windows and doors.

Steve.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; Feb 1st 2010 at 3:43 am. Reason: Reducing embuggerance factor.