Reload this Page >

Expired UK passport - renewal?

Expired UK passport - renewal?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:02 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Shaolin_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired UK passport - renewal?

Hi folks,
I'm living in the us and my british passport expired 2 years ago in mar 07. i am going to be renewing it, but wanted to know if i have to apply for a new one, or if i can just use the old one to renew. Any help would be appreciated!!

cheers and beers!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Expired UK passport - renewal?

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

Dean
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired UK passport - renewal?

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon
Hi folks,
I'm living in the us and my british passport expired 2 years ago in mar 07. i am going to be renewing it, but wanted to know if i have to apply for a new one, or if i can just use the old one to renew. Any help would be appreciated!!

cheers and beers!
I think you had better renew it very fast ! ....... You are probably living here ilegaly without a valid passport

If you are stopped by INS you could be in a bit of bother
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:10 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Shaolin_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I think you had better renew it very fast ! ....... You are probably living here ilegaly without a valid passport

Nah, i have a greencard - i'm all legal!!! just didnt know if i needed to renew or apply for a new one. heading back home towards the end of the year for a visit.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:18 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon
Nah, i have a greencard - i'm all legal!!! just didnt know if i needed to renew or apply for a new one. heading back home towards the end of the year for a visit.
I agree - only 40% of americans have passports and 50 % of those think that London is in Paris

GC is the trump card

as long as you dont cross the borders of the finest country in the history of the world (Quote mitt romney) without one, then it is no problema

actually its legal to leave without one under US law - but the airlines wont carry you out because you wont be allowed in the other end...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
actually its legal to leave without one under US law - but the airlines wont carry you out because you wont be allowed in the other end...

A British citizen doesn't need a current UK passport to enter the UK...but yes there may be a problem with the airline. Best to check with the airline and get it in writing.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:10 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A British citizen doesn't need a current UK passport to enter the UK...but yes there may be a problem with the airline. Best to check with the airline and get it in writing.
My pal turned up at heathrow without a passport some years ago - he had put it in his checked luggage. I was with him.

He started swearing at himself as an idiot in an essex accent at the top of his voice and the immigration officer said 'ok i believe you are british - go on through'
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My pal turned up at heathrow without a passport some years ago - he had put it in his checked luggage. I was with him.

He started swearing at himself as an idiot in an essex accent at the top of his voice and the immigration officer said 'ok i believe you are british - go on through'
Hopefully the OP will have his expired UK PP. As a British citizen you cannot be refused entry to the UK...but without proof of citizenship ie PP, birth certificate etc...I presume departure out of the airport will be delayed.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:20 pm
Banned

Hopefully the OP will have his expired UK PP. As a British citizen you cannot be refused entry to the UK...but without proof of citizenship ie PP, birth certificate etc...I presume departure out of the airport will be delayed.
The airlines have to pay a big fine if the passenger is refused entry and so they will stop anyone without a passport

I had my hardest time ever from the BMI woman at manchester (short hair, muscles, hatchet face) who said i couldnt fly visa waiver as she had no proof my Advance Parole status was cancelled
(long story)

She could not get her supervisor on the mobile to confirm - so she finally (45 mins later) let me fly (at my own risk and cost) but she was much tougher than any immigration official anywhere

Now I have my GC i always make a beeline for her and give her my passport - she starts to give me hard time and gets stern when she sees old visas - then i smirk and pull my GC out - I might forgive her in a few years and stop doing it

oo i am bad
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The airlines have to pay a big fine if the passenger is refused entry and so they will stop anyone without a passport

I had my hardest time ever from the BMI woman at manchester (short hair, muscles, hatchet face) who said i couldnt fly visa waiver as she had no proof my Advance Parole status was cancelled
(long story)

She could not get her supervisor on the mobile to confirm - so she finally (45 mins later) let me fly (at my own risk and cost) but she was much tougher than any immigration official anywhere

Now I have my GC i always make a beeline for her and give her my passport - she starts to give me hard time and gets stern when she sees old visas - then i smirk and pull my GC out - I might forgive her in a few years and stop doing it

oo i am bad
Although that is true for a non US citizen trying to enter the US...I'm not sure it applies when entering the UK. Best to check with the airline first.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 19th 2009 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler

where do you get your immigration advice from?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
where do you get your immigration advice from?
ceiling - top left i reckon
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that this is true anymore. I do remember a case of a journalist convincing immigration officials to let him in with his birth certificate only. I believe now that UK law has mandated that the passport must be used now:
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/travel-europe.asp
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AlanR
I don't think that this is true anymore. I do remember a case of a journalist convincing immigration officials to let him in with his birth certificate only. I believe now that UK law has mandated that the passport must be used now:
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/travel-europe.asp
academic point as the airline will stop anyone who tries it...

unless you are tiger woods in which case they say - pass mr president
Old Jan 19th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they have better imigration officers now FFS .... don't they know terrorists can easily put on accents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.