UK passport renewal and ESTA problem

Old May 7th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Saladmonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewal and ESTA problem

Hello all,

I'm an Expat with Citizenship who is now sponsoring my English fiance under the Fiance Visa application.

He is trying to visit me in the next month or so. He just renewed his UK passport and went to get a new ESTA (have to because passport number has changed). His previous ESTA expires in July 2012.

Here is the problem: he went online to apply for the ESTA and it just says "Passport ineliglible for travel under the visa waiver program" - no idea why since everything was fine on his old passport.

Anyone come across this? Any idea what it means, or what to do about it? The websites for VWP don't cover this message!

Many thanks in anticipation of any help!
Old May 7th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal and ESTA problem

No idea if this is a help or not, but all new passport (2006?? and later) must have the electronic chip in them to be eligible for an ESTA. Was there a question in the application asking whether the passport was a e-Passport and you erroneously said no?
Old May 8th 2012, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi there,

Thanks for trying to help. There isn't such a question about there being an electronic chip.

The FAQs discuss the 2006 cutoff date for an "e-passport" but don't mention why a newly issued passport would be ineligible.

Interestingly, when he received the new passport the old one was not returned - frustrating because it contained the stamps that we are using to demonstrate we have visited each other for the I-129f. I don't know how to get the old one back - all we have are photocopies as proof.

Am wondering if there is some kind of error which is why the ESTA won't process??

Last edited by Saladmonster; May 8th 2012 at 3:00 am. Reason: Typo
Old May 8th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

No insight into ESTA matters, but you could try the CBP Call Center (as unearthed in this thread).

Good luck
Old May 8th 2012, 1:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saladmonster
Interestingly, when he received the new passport the old one was not returned - frustrating because it contained the stamps that we are using to demonstrate we have visited each other for the I-129f. I don't know how to get the old one back - all we have are photocopies as proof.
Photocopies of the old passport stamps are all you need for the I-129F.

Rene
Old May 8th 2012, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all! It turns out one of the zeros were actually the letter "O" - so user error!

Thanks to Rene for responding regarding the passport stamp photocopy - that makes me feel better!
Old May 30th 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Cali Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested to know if the old passport has been returned? I just sent my passport for renewal and have received my new one, but not the old one back and it has my US visa in it.
Thanks
Old May 31st 2012, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Funny you should ask - it was just sent back. For some reason it was sent separately from the new passport and got delivered to the wrong address! So looks like they are sending the old ones back - but mailed alone rather than with the renewal.

Hope you get yours back too!
Old May 31st 2012, 7:57 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Having just renewed my passport, I was slightly annoyed that it was just posted through the door.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

The new procedure said the new passport comes back from the UK and the documents/old passport are sent back from Washington, so hopefully I will get the old one back soone as the new one came about 2 weeks ago!
Old May 31st 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

The old passport was returned today