Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking flights more than a year in advance?

Booking flights more than a year in advance?

Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Booking flights more than a year in advance?

Hi all,

We'd like to travel to Oz in Feb 2011 and would prefer to have dates/times sorted asap so that we can book our accommodation (which is fairly popular).

Are there any sites/airlines that accept bookings more than a year in advance?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking flights more than a year in advance?

Originally Posted by BudBrain
Hi all,

We'd like to travel to Oz in Feb 2011 and would prefer to have dates/times sorted asap so that we can book our accommodation (which is fairly popular).

Highly unlikely, they usually only release the seats 12 months ahead.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Cheers Pollyana, thought it was a long-shot
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon that most accommodation providers would allow you to change your dates slightly if you could not get the flights you want.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

If you book 8 or 9 months in advance, you'll definitely get the tickets for the flight and date you want to travel. You shouldn't have to worry.

I booked some flights really early a couple of times - booked in March for travelling in December, and booked in September for travelling in following April, plenty of choices of airlines. In fact when I checked prices 3 or 4 months prior to the actual travelling dates, the prices were still similar.

If you want to be really sure, talk to a travel agent, give him/her your intended travelling dates, get him/her to contact you as soon as the prices are published by the airlines. I haven't seen any online booking site that accepts bookings more than a year in advance.

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

(Sorry, another question!)

I understand that flights are up to 1 year in advance, but when do you think flights for January 2011 will be added, February maybe? I've just looked through all the airlines that fly from the UK to Oz (i.e. singaporeair.com) and they're all Jan to Dec 2010.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's something like 360 days in advance you can book. So check out a Jan date that's passed like the 3rd Jan or something and see if you can do that.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I had a quick look online and it varies from one airline to the next. Figures of 350, 340 etc were mentioned. You could always ring the airline to ask?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

I just emailed Singapore Airlines and had a reply in a few minutes (!!!)...

Kindly note that you are able to make bookings upto 350 days in advance of your travel dates. So, for travel in January 2011, you will be able to make your booking on and after the 15th of February, 2010.
^ Great speedy customer service right there
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Still looking at booking flights for 2011 and have a quick question to those with the knowledge

January 2011 prices seem to be around £250 more expensive than December 2010! Do you think these January 2011 prices will come down a little the closer we get to 2011?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Still looking at booking flights for 2011 and have a quick question to those with the knowledge

January 2011 prices seem to be around £250 more expensive than December 2010! Do you think these January 2011 prices will come down a little the closer we get to 2011?
Summer holiday usually starts around 2nd week of December and finishes last week of January. The dates vary from state to state. I think if you travel outside of those dates, the prices are a bit better.

Airlines often have special offers throughout the year. Your travel agent will know in general when each airline will have their offers/price list. Just give him/her your intended travel date/date range and your contacts. If you aren't sure if you are getting the best price from the travel agent, you can always check online prices and negotiate from there.

If I was travelling January/February 2011, I probably wouldn't be looking at prices till at least May or June 2010. There shouldn't be much price movement between now and May. But by all means leave your details with the travel agent now so that you won't miss out.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL