Child with autism

Old May 1st 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all
Default Child with autism

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I have a friend who is looking to try to emigrate to Australia and her son has been diagnosed as Autistic with developmental and speech delay and behavioural issues. He has now been diagnosed as having dispraxic speech (just another fancy name) and will need a scribe for any exams that he has to undertake.

What I am trying to find out is whether her attempts would likely be in vain as I know that it can be difficult to get the healthiest, most skilled person through a visa sometimes, but what about a child with this disability? I'd hate for her to set her heart on this to fail at the last post.

Does anyone know if he is likely to get through the medical in the hope of her getting a successful visa?

Cheers

Mel
Old May 1st 2012, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child with autism

Originally Posted by melbert
Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help but I have a friend who is looking to try to emigrate to Australia and her son has been diagnosed as Autistic with developmental and speech delay and behavioural issues. He has now been diagnosed as having dispraxic speech (just another fancy name) and will need a scribe for any exams that he has to undertake.

What I am trying to find out is whether her attempts would likely be in vain as I know that it can be difficult to get the healthiest, most skilled person through a visa sometimes, but what about a child with this disability? I'd hate for her to set her heart on this to fail at the last post.

Does anyone know if he is likely to get through the medical in the hope of her getting a successful visa?

Cheers

Mel
She'll need to contact a MARA registered Agent who is considered an expert in medical matters. Peter Bollard and George Lombard are the main two.
Old May 1st 2012, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Thank you, I've now passed this info on to her.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same and may be able to sprinkle some hope her way!

Mel
Old May 1st 2012, 10:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I've now passed this info on to her.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same and may be able to sprinkle some hope her way!

Mel
As MP says, she's best speaking to an agent about the medical issue. My own feeling is that if he's likely to be a "burden" to the Aus system then it's not likely he'll pass the medical. Does he need special education assistance?

The catch 22 is that if he's fit to pass the medical it's very unlikely he'll qualify for any help over here. If he's disabled enough to qualify for help here it's unlikely he'll pass the immigration medical. She should also be aware of the fact that even if he does pass the medical there is a clear lack of support for autistic kids in Australia. There was a thread in the main Aus section a while ago about it that might be a good read for her.
Old May 1st 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Dorothy, She's trying to get him into a mainstream school at the moment. I'll try to find the thread about autism and pass it on to her. As far as I know he's fit and well apart from the autism.

Thanks for your help.

Mel
Old May 1st 2012, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think she should think very hard about this and not just the getting a visa bit. I have been on the forum long enough to have concluded that Australia and an autistic child are not a good combination. My feeling is also that getting a visa will be a struggle our an impossibility depending on where he is on the spectrum.
Old May 1st 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your honesty, I thought this may be the case but it's her path, I'm just trying to make the journey a little more informed and a little less traumatic for her.

She is very committed and has gone back to uni to retrain, she has fought to get her son's problems recognised, she's currently fighting to get him into a mainstream school. She is determined and I know if any one could make it through and succeed, she could. I know that the facilities here aren't great for kids with special needs but if she can get him mainstream in the UK then that may be an indicator of the level of support he needs and where he is on the spectrum. I don't know all the ins and outs of it!!

I am completely aware that not everyone gets a visa and it's not an easy process but I'm just trying to find out as much info as I can for her so she's well prepared. I have suggested that she join here and look at relevant threads and then she can ask away herself. I wish her all the luck. I know that there is a wealth of information on here and am so grateful that we were supported through our own application path!!

Mel
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

sean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nicesean bassett is just really nice

Hi
We had a child with a learning disability and were given bad advice by a migration agent and told we could get a visa, imagine our shock when we were refused as he would be a burden on the Australian Medicare system
My advice would be to speak with George Lombard he's a top man.
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Sean,

That's what she doesn't want to happen, it's a lot of money to spend if there's little to no hope. I have passed George's details onto her for her to look into.

I see that you are now in Perth, congratulations! How did you manage to get through it? I think she would be looking at Perth too as she's a good friend of mine and that's where we are.

Mel
Old May 2nd 2012, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sean,

How did you manage to get through it?
Explained here, sadly.

A post from a long time ago which stuck in my mind....
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's so sad :-( So sorry to hear that. I wish sean bassett all the best and a happy life in Oz xx

Mel