Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Algeria? - Whats it like?

Algeria? - Whats it like?

Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:09 pm
Banned

Jason-Gibbs will become famous soon enoughJason-Gibbs will become famous soon enough
Question Algeria? - Whats it like?

Hi there.

Im a Scaffolder, whos recently been offered a job in Algeria.
Its my first time working abroad, and while im excited and keen to get out there, im also concerned that i know next to nothing about the country, the traditions, the people and what life is like there.

The security on this job seems sound, with all accommodation, travel and food being free of charge and supplied via the company im working for.

But i was wondering about what kinds of shots (jags) id need to be protected out there from decease/infection, what kind of money (if any) id need to take, for bits and bobs, do they speak english, to a certain degree - say enough for basic conversations to be held and such?

I know its a Muslim country, but how 'Muslim' is it?
Being a westerner, will it be dangerous for me to travel around the towns, after work to get additional supplies and to sample the culture, while im there - stuff like that.

Will my life be in danger, should i leave the confines of my accommodation block?

Basically - if anyone has any experience of working/living in Algeria, please send any info my way, as i very much need help in knowing what the place is like before i fly out there, lol.

Thanks very much.
Jay.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algeria? - Whats it like?

Er, Algeria isn't in the Middle East. It's in North Africa.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:56 pm
Banned

Jason-Gibbs will become famous soon enoughJason-Gibbs will become famous soon enough

There is no section for Africa and it shares alot of the same culture, traditions and religion as countries in the Middle East...

So i thought it wise to add it to this part of the Forum.

Are you able to help me?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jason, Algeria isn't the number one posting in north af or the ME as you will already know so it's not going to be Dubai esque. Have a look at some of the security alerts that you can sign up for the country. Depending where you are will indicate the amount of freedom that is available. Eastern areas have an affinity with bombs, heads off and kidnap. There have been incidents all over the country though but of a more minor nature.

Some western companies do put their employees outside the secure compounds however their risk management is less robust shall we say.

Your new employer should pick you up at the airport and get you up to speed with an induction which I would take heed of. They should also brief you before departure. Be careful of taking advice of guys on the net lol

We have operated for 3 years in Algeria without an incident of note. On site English should be the normal language
And if the site is established then there will be locals who also speak English so they can make a buck out of you.

Wouldn't get depressed about not experiencing the culture, it's a shitty north African flee pit that once you have made the cash will be best forgotten.

Head to your Gp for the jabs now as some will be multiple shots and need time to bed in to be effective.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jason-Gibbs
There is no section for Africa and it shares alot of the same culture, traditions and religion as countries in the Middle East...

Are you able to help me?
Spot on. Many companies lump the whole MENA (Middle East and North Africa) Region into one. You are asking in the right place.

We have an office in Algeria. It's been the most unsuccessful one we have - no security issues but unable to generate any business - damn communists.

I can't answer your questions - but on the lingo point, we only send French speakers there. I guess they do not parlez l'Anglais as well as we do.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 29th 2012 at 4:25 am.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Are you able to help me?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

But the ME section is usually a bit more active. I guess it's less to do in the ME, or internet is just shit in general across Africa.

I only have experience from sub-saharan africa myself..there seriously is something in the red dirt that gets inside your blood. Tomorrow is another day, the faster you learn and accept this as a way of life, the faster you get on with life. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 11:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Africa sub-forum on BE...
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

But the ME section is usually a bit more active. I guess it's less to do in the ME, or internet is just shit in general across Africa.

I only have experience from sub-saharan africa myself..there seriously is something in the red dirt that gets inside your blood. Tomorrow is another day, the faster you learn and accept this as a way of life, the faster you get on with life. Good luck and enjoy.
Eish broer, you will be making us all homesick for proper camping days in wankie, fishing for tigers on kariba, sitting with Rhodes, major Wilson and the good doctor at the worlds view.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Eish broer, you will be making us all homesick for proper camping days in wankie, fishing for tigers on kariba, sitting with Rhodes, major Wilson and the good doctor at the worlds view.
I hear the camping in Bahrain is amazing....
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I hear the camping in Bahrain is amazing....
Lmao well there is more wild-life here than there is in wankie !!

Kilo of wors just off the braai and cold shumba in hand,
Happy days
Old Apr 29th 2012, 9:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

Basically - if anyone has any experience of working/living in Algeria, please send any info my way, as i very much need help in knowing what the place is like before i fly out there, lol.

Thanks very much.
Jay.
hi Jason, I'm going to move this thread to the Africa forum for you and maybe one of our members who hangs out there will be able to help.

Congrats on the job offer by the way.