Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phones/texting UK from Canada

Mobile Phones/texting UK from Canada

Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:54 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice
Default Mobile Phones/texting UK from Canada

Can anyone recommend a mobile phone service/network that guarantees text messages from Canada to UK actually arrive? My phone says text messages are delivered but they don't actually arrive at their destination in the UK (and I get charged regardless). Any suggestions please? Thanks!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones/texting UK from Canada

Originally Posted by Indigo
Can anyone recommend a mobile phone service/network that guarantees text messages from Canada to UK actually arrive? My phone says text messages are delivered but they don't actually arrive at their destination in the UK (and I get charged regardless). Any suggestions please? Thanks!
Email???
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I use Rogers and send texts to both O2 and T-Mobile in the UK, I've never (to my knowledge) had one that hasn't arrived. I've also received messages from these UK networks but if it's a 2- or 3-parter (more than 160 characters I think), I only receive one part and it's not always the first one!

So friends and family tend to send me texts via Rogers web text service now, each message has to still be less than 160 characters but they can send as many as they like for free. http://www.rogers.com/english/wireless/sendpcs.html

Edit: can your UK friends check with their network that int'l texts can be received okay? I was wary and got a yes from O2 and a "should be okay" from T-Mobile... it's possible the fault lies with the UK network rather than Rogers who make a song and dance of their int'l text facility.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Dec 1st 2005 at 5:20 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:42 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

My brother spent five weeks in Canada during the summer, starting off in Calgary and heading towards Vancouver. apart from the obvious areas where reception will be bad (in the mountains), he regularly sent text messages to us all and we received them without any delay. In fact one day I was having a two way conversation with him over a problem he had and the texts were going back and forth with no problem. I think the provider he picked up over there was Rogers but he only took his BT triband mobile that he uses in the UK all the time.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
My brother spent five weeks in Canada during the summer, starting off in Calgary and heading towards Vancouver. apart from the obvious areas where reception will be bad (in the mountains), he regularly sent text messages to us all and we received them without any delay. In fact one day I was having a two way conversation with him over a problem he had and the texts were going back and forth with no problem. I think the provider he picked up over there was Rogers but he only took his BT triband mobile that he uses in the UK all the time.
What UK network are (were) you on? Just wondering if my theory is right...
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:58 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What UK network are (were) you on? Just wondering if my theory is right...
My brother is on British Telecom and I am with Virgin. Never had any problems sending and receiving with either. Send a lot of texts to France also and go Virgin to Virgin, no delays at all. the only company I have ever had trouble sending to was Orange and regularly got delays.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

I'm with Telus, the messages I send to the UK get there no problem. But people back home can't seem to reply to them.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
My brother is on British Telecom and I am with Virgin. Never had any problems sending and receiving with either. Send a lot of texts to France also and go Virgin to Virgin, no delays at all. the only company I have ever had trouble sending to was Orange and regularly got delays.
BT=O2 and Virgin=T-Mobile so same as me Any Orange/Vodafone/3 users receive Canadian texts reliably?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
BT=O2 and Virgin=T-Mobile so same as me Any Orange/Vodafone/3 users receive Canadian texts reliably?
I have a Virgin mobile phone in Canada as does my husband (we have different model phones) and neither of us can send a text message to the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

GlosMaple is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had problems sending from Rogers to Orange, texts not arriving etc. Rogers however seems to accept texts from most UK network??

My cousin was over from UK in summer and he was using the FIDO network here as his host service, he had no problems sending to UK and receiving.
Suggest contacting FIDO on this basis, but i'm no telecoms expert.

I was once told that the txt standards in North America was different, but again i'm no telecoms expert........getting my voicemail is enough of a challenge!!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

Telus will send messages to the following carrier the UK:
MMO2
Orange
T-Mobile
Vodafone
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:01 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

One solution may be to text to the repective phones e-mail addresses

most phone have an address that you can send e-mail to and from

mine would be something like [email protected]
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

I used my "orange" mobile while in Canada ,on Rogers network,and sent text messages to the O2 network in the UK no problem,didnt cost much either
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jeffy G is an unknown quantity at this point

When i was in TO and MTL in the summer i regularly sent texts home, and my girlfriend (in MTL) and i regularly text whilst i'm stuck here in the UK!!

I'm on 3 by the way!!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 7:30 am
Just Joined

andy_bee is an unknown quantity at this point

we've had a couple of problems.

Our original number had a new prefix (not 604) and we discovered that day that people in the UK werent getting our text. According to Rogers, the UK co's didn't have the latest database with the new codes. Sounded fishy to me, so we had the number changed to 604 and all worked except one Virgin Mobile number (yet we could recieve texts)

in the last few weeks though txts to one Orange number and one Vodafone number has been showing up as a different 604 number. If they reply to that, we never recieve it. Weird, but were working around it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.