Homesickness

Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Homesickness

Is it possible to still get homesick after 25 tears of living away from "home"?

Just curious .. don't mind me.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Is it possible to still get homesick after 25 tears of living away from "home"?

Just curious .. don't mind me.
Yes .. it gets worse as you get older .. we are going to need an Expat OAP home thhat wil serve us decent cups of tea....
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Yes .. it gets worse as you get older .. we are going to need an Expat OAP home thhat wil serve us decent cups of tea....

Thanks Hadenough ...! Please also some custard creams and BBC telly.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:58 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hadenough ...! Please also some custard creams and BBC telly.
custard cremes The food of the devil! now jammy dodgers
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
custard cremes The food of the devil! now jammy dodgers
Jaffa cakes!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

While being comfortable here, I am always homesick. Not so much for the food as I am happy with the fresh food here and OH brings UK treats now and then, but for everything else. I think I miss the interaction with family and friends and the older the children get, the more upset I am that they do not see their cousins.
I am also struggling with the weather. I am so fed up with not sleeping due to the heat, I did find the portable conditioner in the garage, but all the connections are missing-bummer.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Isakat
While being comfortable here, I am always homesick. Not so much for the food as I am happy with the fresh food here and OH brings UK treats now and then, but for everything else. I think I miss the interaction with family and friends and the older the children get, the more upset I am that they do not see their cousins.
I am also struggling with the weather. I am so fed up with not sleeping due to the heat, I did find the portable conditioner in the garage, but all the connections are missing-bummer.
Thanks for sharing Isakat ...

yeah, maybe it's the weather, time of year etc... You're right about the family .. also parents getting older doesn't help. I sometimes feel really guilty about having moved so far away ..

If it's any consolation we have air conditioning in the house but have to keep it off at night otherwise I get sore throat, aching bones etc. ..
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Isakat ...

yeah, maybe it's the weather, time of year etc... You're right about the family .. also parents getting older doesn't help. I sometimes feel really guilty about having moved so far away ..

If it's any consolation we have air conditioning in the house but have to keep it off at night otherwise I get sore throat, aching bones etc. ..
The strange thing is, OH mentioned about a distant possibility of a job in the UK and I am already dreaming of a cottage in the Oxfordshire villages where we used to live.....Cricket pitch in the middle and a decent pub.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

I too sometimes dream of life in British suburbia, but then I think of the awful people packing into Tesco's, trying in vain to find a parking space, rain and grey skies, traffic, road rage..... do I need to go on??
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:30 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Jaffa cakes!
Jaffa cakes how could you do that to me - now I'm homesick too
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Jaffa cakes how could you do that to me - now I'm homesick too
LOL ..

I just sort of get those 'what if...' / sliding doors situation moments etc ..

then you get people here saying "L'Italia รจ un paese per le vacanze.." and you just think..mm perhaps you're right there, Giovanni..

Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:39 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

Homesick....

Never!

Despite me only living in Italy 1 yr ive spent the last 15 all over europe (i decided to settle in Italy) I do have family in the UK that i hardly ever speak to and a bunch of aquintances that where once friends, everytime i speak to any of the above i just feel more and more detached and a million miles apart, and basically have bugger all in common with any of them anymore. Where as here, ive met a great bunch of people, i have a new family in my mrs and her parents and relations, which are a darn sight more loving and closer than i ever had in the UK, Very sad but very true.

The only thing i REALLY miss is.
A great english breakfast now and then. (i even dream about this)
Nipping down to the Chippy !
Going for a wonderful burning hot Chicken Madras at the local Indian.

Last edited by Engliano; Jul 11th 2012 at 12:58 pm. Reason: Forgot to add What i DO miss.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Engliano
Homesick....

Never!

Despite me only living in Italy 1 yr ive spent the last 15 all over europe (i decided to settle in Italy) I do have family in the UK that i hardly ever speak to and a bunch of aquintances that where once friends, everytime i speak to any of the above i just feel more and more detached and a million miles apart, and basically have bugger all in common with any of them anymore. Where as here, ive met a great bunch of people, i have a new family in my mrs and her parents and relations, which are a darn sight more loving and closer than i ever had in the UK, Very sad but very true.

The only thing i REALLY miss is.
A great english breakfast now and then. (i even dream about this)
Nipping down to the Chippy !
Going for a wonderful burning hot Chicken Madras at the local Indian.
Thanks Engliano. I know what you mean about your adopted Ital family being (apparently) more caring than perhaps your own parents or 'close' family in the UK .. but on the other hand I find that a little claustrophobic sometimes, I have just never got used to having a 'mother' who fusses about me all the time, wants to know where I am, what I am doing etc..!

Sure, I too have made lots of friends over here, and 'lost' all of my Brit ones (but that might have happened anyway), but somehow it's just not the same.

.. I never cared for English breakfast much, but when I'm in the UK now I make sure I get at least one!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes; we all get homesick sometimes. I think you feel the need to get back to your roots; where you went to school, the countryside where you played, the towns where you went to the wakes week funfairs. In my case in spite of having been here since 1961, I still have some close family ties in UK - funnily enough mainly in Wales now. Went there on a flash trip for a funeral three weeks ago. Not an auspicious occasion I know; but I found myself wondering 'what would it be like moving back here?' I probably wouldn't cope; but I do know that with the social services available my pension would go further! Then again, I'd be leaving behind children/grandchildren here (not too worried about various in-laws).
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 11th 2012, 4:13 pm
Member Of The Family

Engliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really niceEngliano is just really nice

Well Mark, considering this forum is fairly anonymous....and the site wont let me fill in my details no-one should know me from adam.

So lets begin, when i moved from manchester all those years ago for a job offer in germany thats when it started (the loathing the hatred of my family towards me) they never called at any time to see how i was, it continues to this day, only at christmas when they want me to send them some money.

I'm the only person in my whole family who could be arsed to get up off one's backside and take myself to Uni (and overseas) way back when everyone else was sitting around drinking there cans of booze etc. in the pouring rain i'll add.

My parents i dont include in this as they tried there best, but not with me, they where, and still are more interested in my sisters offspring, my mother regulalry takes full months of shopping round to my sisters house because she cannot be arsed to get off her ass and get a decent job to pay her way in life. same goes for all my sisters kids, they wont get a decent job either and are to reliant on my parents for handouts. Meanwhile, my life goes on and i never get a single fone call from any of them, never had one single call in 16 years !

I fought my way out of city center Manchester and fought every inch of the way, literally sometimes, I left with two pairs of jeans and a few T shirts, ive had to beg borrow and steal to stay alive at times, ive gone from living on the streets to having luxury apartments and brand new Mercs at the door, I could probably write a best seller ! I now have an income more than double what my entire family earns in a year. I'm surrounded by decent respectful people who have the same outlook on life as me. Miss those arseholes in england NEVER !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.