Are Plumbers wanted in Canada?

Old Mar 25th 2012, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

plumbgas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are Plumbers wanted in Canada?

Hello, I am considering moving to Canada which is something i’ve wanted to do for a long time. I am a Plumber/Gas fitter currently running my own business in the UK and always having plenty of work I will be giving up a lot so i’m not just jumping on the band wagon because of the current economical climate i’ve just had enough of the UK and want more for my 2 children. my questions are:
Is Canada in need of Plumbers and if so what areas?

I intend visiting this year to fact find and hand out some CV’s, would Canadian employers find this too in the face or is it the norm?

Are UK trade qualifications recognized in Canada?

As an immigrant am I likely to find decent work?

Are children accepted easily into school or are they given a hard time by there peers?

Any help or experiences you can offer would be greatly appreciated as this is a big move into the unknown for me and my family.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 8:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Plumbers wanted in Canada?

I believe you would need to sit the Red Seal exams in order to practice plumbing in Canada (with the exception of a couple of Provinces).

More information can be found here: http://www.cicic.ca/684/Plumbers.canada?noc=7251

You can find out which areas have jobs available here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/

Hope that helps a little.

Old Mar 25th 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

I also believe you would need to resit your trade exams.
The kids will be fine.
There are jobs in your trade but not masses of them so you will be up against people with the right credentials and with Canadian exp.
I would try to get 2 or 3 job offers before you came here,it can be a great move to come here if all your ducks are in a row ,but it can soon turn to an expensive nightmare if you do not have all your ducks in a row.
good luck and hope it works out for you
Old Mar 25th 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

plumbgas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
I believe you would need to sit the Red Seal exams in order to practice plumbing in Canada (with the exception of a couple of Provinces).

More information can be found here: http://www.cicic.ca/684/Plumbers.canada?noc=7251

You can find out which areas have jobs available here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you for your help the links are just what I needed
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If all you are going to do is connect water pipes, no certification required, you do need to know the building codes though. Without the provincial certification (which is Red Seal endorsed) unlikely to get hired or paid very much. Where Gas and any basic electrical work involved, you need to be ticketed. To challenge Red Seal you need 9000 of provable work experience. Never had a problem finding plumbers here, although took a long time to find a good one.

UK qualifications mean nothing in North America. Being an immigrant has little bearing on finding a job in my experience. How you approach job applications, present yourself and how well you interview does.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Life here is neither better nor worse than the UK, it's just very different. Some like it some don't, and return to the UK as a result. Be very careful if you're "giving up a lot", try and spend some time here first before you do (give up a lot), you may have a better idea then.
All the previous posts re quals etc. are correct.
Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parker14
All the previous posts re quals etc. are correct.
That's handy then as I sit on advisory committees for trade certifications.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:49 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
That's handy then as I sit on advisory committees for trade certifications.
You may regret making that public knowledge
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You may regret making that public knowledge
Did not say I know anything though
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot you are the authority on this matter (Mr Aviator). Accept my apologies.