Who can certify documents?

Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Who can certify documents?

I am soo confused!!!

I've been reading various threads about who can certify documents. It seems this also differs depending on who your assessment provider is.

We will shortly be submitting our ACS skills assessment. We are being told by our agent that the only people in UK who can certify are solicitor, magistrate, justice of peace, notary public and commissioner for oaths.

I thought that it was whoever was able to sign UK passports would do. I don't want to go through this exercise twice so want to make sure whoever signs for our skills assessment with ACS will also be acceptable for the visa application.

Just phoned our magistrates who charge £8 per document As I need triplicate of the docs, don't think this will my option and want to try and keep costs down as much as possible.

Many thanks
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who can certify documents?

Originally Posted by kronk
I am soo confused!!!

I've been reading various threads about who can certify documents. It seems this also differs depending on who your assessment provider is.

We will shortly be submitting our ACS skills assessment. We are being told by our agent that the only people in UK who can certify are solicitor, magistrate, justice of peace, notary public and commissioner for oaths.

I thought that it was whoever was able to sign UK passports would do. I don't want to go through this exercise twice so want to make sure whoever signs for our skills assessment with ACS will also be acceptable for the visa application.

Just phoned our magistrates who charge £8 per document As I need triplicate of the docs, don't think this will my option and want to try and keep costs down as much as possible.

Many thanks
I have heard of people using their doctor, bank manager, school principle, local councilor, registered accountant, etc.

Trish
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

That's what I thought, there is a list from the UK Passport agency that says who can sign which includes teachers, post office masters etc.

Just don't want to get all of my docs certified to then find out that this isn't going to be acceptable to ACS and when applying for visa.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:11 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi......I used my Bank Manager......who certified all 58 pages of my visa application for free He is on the UK passport page of people who are allowed to certify documents in England and Wales.
Beth x

Last edited by BethandAndrew; Oct 9th 2007 at 4:16 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

That's what I thought, there is a list from the UK Passport agency that says who can sign which includes teachers, post office masters etc.

Just don't want to get all of my docs certified to then find out that this isn't going to be acceptable to ACS and when applying for visa.
I have to admit that we used a notary public and put in a copy of his certification to prove his eligibilty to certify.

He didn't charge us a penny so it's worth shopping around as some are a complete rip off.

Trish
Old Oct 9th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

I think I'll have to do that. All I have found so far are the notary publics who charge £50 per hour, some that have a minimum requirement of work totalling £150 and my local magistrates in Essex who charge a whopping £8 per document. Might think about becoming a magistrate myself and doing this on the side
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It has nothing to do with who can certify documents for British purposes. It's who can certify for Australian purposes that counts.
The agency I work for recommends the following people:
Medical doctor
Solicitor
Justice of the Peace
Commissioner of Oaths

We recently had someone send in documents certified by a nurse and they were all returned as invalid by the assessing authority.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Call some local solicitors to get a quote.

The normal fee I found was £5 per signature. One of the solicitors I called said £5 a copy, when I said I had 20 signatures required, she said "Thats £100 and sounds a lot...I'll do it as a job lot for £30"

I was there within an hour!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Knutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant futureKnutty has a brilliant future

I am soo confused!!!

Many thanks
We had a few different people certifying our info, depending on where we were when we had the originals to hand. Our friend is a Police Officer so he did some, we were at a Solicitors about another matter so got him to do some, and finally we got a Doctor here in Dubai to finish off the rest! Everything was fine got our visa approved with all that mix! Leann x
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Donna Doo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I also had to submit stuff to ACS and was advised by my agent to get a solicitor to certify all docs. I had to make sure that they had their company stamp on each page with their contact details included. Apparently it makes it a lot easier because the solicitor is easily traceable shoudl they decide to check up on them.

I found one to do it cheaply after ringing around - my usual solicitor decided he'd like to rip me off for a fiver a sheet!!!

Donna Doo
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice
Wink Re: Who can certify documents?

Hi,
We got all our documents certified this morning at our local Magistrates Court for a total cost of £25.

All documents were certified including my photos's and application form for my skills assessment by the Australian Nursingand Midwifery Council.

They were really friendly and efficient, had to ring and make an appointment first.

From there we went on and collected our police check forms from the local police station. AApparentlycosts £10 per person to be checked and can take up to 40 days (that is for Surrey elsewhere maybe different).
Old Nov 6th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

madddogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scrum
I have to admit that we used a notary public and put in a copy of his certification to prove his eligibilty to certify.

He didn't charge us a penny so it's worth shopping around as some are a complete rip off.

Trish
where did you find a free notary mine wants £100
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:08 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

My agent has told us that docs can only be certified by solicitors within the UK, this is for the TRA, so if anyone knows any different and a way it could be cheaper....bearing in mind I have a friend who is a copper and another who was a magistrate, I would be grateful!

Ems x
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madddogg
where did you find a free notary mine wants £100
In Ireland - sorry he's a neighbour.

Trish
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiling4
My agent has told us that docs can only be certified by solicitors within the UK, this is for the TRA, so if anyone knows any different and a way it could be cheaper....bearing in mind I have a friend who is a copper and another who was a magistrate, I would be grateful!

Ems x
A magistrate can certify for TRA. Your copper friend probably could, but TRA and DIAC are getting much stricter with their guidelines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.