Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

I hope this is a temp glitch but BBC iplayer is no longer showing on the list of sites that Hola unblocks My wife is not amused, especially as we cannot seem to download expat shield because of compatibility issues!

So whats going on and what is the way around this?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice
Default Re: Hola unblocker - BBC iplayer gone?!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jon77
I hope this is a temp glitch but BBC iplayer is no longer showing on the list of sites that Hola unblocks My wife is not amused, especially as we cannot seem to download expat shield because of compatibility issues!

Its happened to me too, just go straight to iplayer it still unblocks it
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
Its happened to me too, just go straight to iplayer it still unblocks it
No it doesn't, says I cannot access due to not being in the UK
Old Apr 6th 2013, 3:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Apparently you can no longer get the BBC on Hola. It's no longer a temporary glitch - it's permanent.

I recommend Tunnelbear (can get it here in the US, so check to see if it's available in Oz). It's only $4.99 USD per month and you can watch all the BBC programs you want so long as it's not 'live'.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

AceVPN is great, $60 a year which enables you to watch world wide TV.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:26 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
At a rough guess:

iplayer sent a few packets of geolocation check before serving up the actual DRM encumbered file for viewing. If you didn't pass the check, you didn't get the reference to the file, but the actual content servers didn't have to worry about any of that restriction - they just concentrated to feeding the file. Hola redirected those few geolocation packets via someone's computer in the UK, then you downloaded the actual programme file directly. That made it practical for a P2P bolt on.

If the Beeb have added in geolocation checks to the content servers, then when you try to get the content file, you'd get rebuffed. Only way around it would be to redirect ALL the content file download via a UK computer.

In short, if this is what they've done, its only going to work in future if you go the VPN route. There is the possibility that they've done something else that could be bypassed, but ...
Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I've emailed Hola. Will post when they get back.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Apparently you can no longer get the BBC on Hola. It's no longer a temporary glitch - it's permanent.

I recommend Tunnelbear (can get it here in the US, so check to see if it's available in Oz). It's only $4.99 USD per month and you can watch all the BBC programs you want so long as it's not 'live'.

Ahhhh well, couldn't last forever I guess, I will start looking in to this VPN access area, there are a good few around that charge a monthly subscription.

Will keep an eye on Hola to see if BBC come back, but not holding out any hope
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I've emailed Hola. Will post when they get back.

Cheers Matey, let us know what they say
Old Apr 7th 2013, 6:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Aunty has gone. Email reply says:

Unfortunately we are no longer supporting the BBC in our unblocker.

Ofer
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

The problem with posting suggestions oh here, is that you never no who is reading them!
I recently gave some advice on getting round a blocked UK sight, only to have that blocked very quickly !!!!

PMs are better!

Last edited by Saxy; Apr 7th 2013 at 10:42 am.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

Probably the best way is via something called a Smart DNS. It isn't free as it costs generally about the price of a pub beer per month, but you get a lot more than Hola.

The big advantage is that it can be set up easily on almost any Internet able device, including Smart TV's, iOS devices, Android etc, so it is really easy to get the BBC (and all the other UK catch-up services) on your actual TV. Much better than watching on a computer.

There are a pile of articles, instructions and reviews of all the UK services it works with at www.eyeondemand.com

I'm now living in Germany and using the Overplay version of SmartDNS, I can access BBC, 4oD, ITV, Demand 5 from the UK, but it should be the same as in Australia as one of the great things with a SmartDNS over standard VPN is that because you don't tunnel all the date through to the other end, the network speed is much faster.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We use http://www.unblock-us.com/ for $5 a month
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
We use http://www.unblock-us.com/ for $5 a month
This is just the type of post I'm talking about in Post 11.
A broadcaster reads the post, investigates the process, and blocks it!
This is probably what has happened to 'Hola'.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
This is just the type of post I'm talking about in Post 11.
A broadcaster reads the post, investigates the process, and blocks it!
This is probably what has happened to 'Hola'.
As I explained above, the chink the geolocation armour of the Beeb was well known and understood - even without checking the forums, just checking their access logs would have told them what was happening. It was always just a matter of time before they closed over the chink.

They can find and block the ip addresses used by VPN providers as well if they want - indeed they have been known to do so for years on certain TV services. Additionally they can automate the process if they desire - tracking high usage IP addresses is a no brainer.

In the end you either download once and re-serve the file (eg torrents) or have a personal VPN service that's so low usage it goes under the radar.

Well, actually there IS another way, but I'm keeping that one quiet as a personal backstop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.