Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Noncitizens sue federal government over gay marriage ban

Noncitizens sue federal government over gay marriage ban

Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Noncitizens sue federal government over gay marriage ban

From the NY Times

Because even if your state says you are married, it doesn't really count unless the federal gubmint thinks you're married.

Discuss.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noncitizens sue federal government over gay marriage ban

Originally Posted by BellaE
From the NY Times

Because even if your state says you are married, it doesn't really count unless the federal gubmint thinks you're married.

Discuss.

Discuss? Let's hear your views on it first...then perhaps we'll discuss it.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:44 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

"I've nothing against gay marriage - if a gay man wants to marry a gay woman, why the hell should I care?"

James P Connolly, Blue Collar Radio..........................
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't decide about the whole gay marriage thing. I'm afraid one part of me sees the demand for the right for same sex couples to marry to be a manifestation of two unattractive American traits; (1) overblown sense of personal entitlement, and (2) church/religious domination, so same sex couples want a big traditional wedding with all the trimmings. What I mean is, what is wrong with full civil unions, as in the UK for instance, with ALL rights and obligations equivalent to marriage flowing from the union, including immigration rights.

On the other side, however, I see that opposition to same-sex marriage is just another fundamentalist stance of the right-wing US Taliban who want to impose their moral universe on everyone else, so if push comes to shove count me in on the side of the same sex marriage advocates.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with same-sex marriages. Just as long as the sex is female.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robin1234
I can't decide about the whole gay marriage thing. I'm afraid one part of me sees the demand for the right for same sex couples to marry to be a manifestation of two unattractive American traits; (1) overblown sense of personal entitlement, and (2) church/religious domination, so same sex couples want a big traditional wedding with all the trimmings. What I mean is, what is wrong with full civil unions, as in the UK for instance, with ALL rights and obligations equivalent to marriage flowing from the union, including immigration rights.

On the other side, however, I see that opposition to same-sex marriage is just another fundamentalist stance of the right-wing US Taliban who want to impose their moral universe on everyone else, so if push comes to shove count me in on the side of the same sex marriage advocates.
I think that it's because, unfortunately, most of the financial and emotional benefits come from 'marriage', not 'civil unions' - things like being able to make decisions in a hospital for your loved one, etc.

The government should not be involved in marriage - everyone should have civil unions, and the law should be set up on that basis. If a couple (hetero or not) wish to then have a marriage ceremony in a religious institution, that is between the couple and the institution.

Of course, if the religious nut-jobs against same-sex marriage are using the 'sanctity of marriage', then why aren't they trying to get divorce made illegal?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I think that it's because, unfortunately, most of the financial and emotional benefits come from 'marriage', not 'civil unions' - things like being able to make decisions in a hospital for your loved one, etc.

The government should not be involved in marriage - everyone should have civil unions, and the law should be set up on that basis. If a couple (hetero or not) wish to then have a marriage ceremony in a religious institution, that is between the couple and the institution.

Of course, if the religious nut-jobs against same-sex marriage are using the 'sanctity of marriage', then why aren't they trying to get divorce made illegal?
Yes I agree 100% ... and as I said, civil unions would need "ALL rights and obligations equivalent to marriage flowing from the union, including immigration rights." So this would include decisions for loved ones etc.

It's also notable that "red states" have much worse stats for marriage breakdown, divorce, domestic violence and other personal & relationship dysfunction than pesky, godless "blue states."
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unconfuse me as to the UK differences legally between a religious wedding ceremony and a civil union ceremony?

Here in the US they are one and the same in terms of "rights" granted by the State giving the power to an individual to join two people together in a wedding ceremony. For example, both allow the other to make decisions in emergency situations at a hospital, both allow the other to become a participant of the others healthcare insurance, etc.

Is it that you just don't want to see any weddings / marriages performed by a clergy member?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:04 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I don't think it has anythiing to do with wanting any particular kind of wedding, or with any *unusual* sense of entitlement. Gay people simply want the rights, not the ceremony. They want the right to marry whomever they wish and live with that person, & have that right legally upheld, as it is for heterosexual couples.

Civil unions are fine, as long as they are legally upheld for homosexuals as well as heterosexuals across the board, such as for immigration purposes. The UK can do this, but the US does not . . . .
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Why should straight couples be allowed a religious wedding but gay couples not? I'm not saying that churches should be forced to marry gay people, but if a church is willing then there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to do it.

The whole civil vs marriage thing is silly anyway, they should all just be marriage. It's not like there is a strict definition of marriage being a religious thing only. I had a "civil union" wedding and no one has ever corrected me whenever I said I got married.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:53 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

OK, can we stop talking about this now? All the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck are standing up.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Definitely, it should be up to each religion, each denomination, each congregation .. and each minister to define what is acceptable to them and what is not.

But one issue here in the US is the federal DOMA which makes same sex marriages performed in foreign countries or some US states NOT fully equal to other marriages.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Ask yourself the following question:

Is it ok for a black man to marry a white woman or vice versa?

Yes, interracial marriages were banned in the US until relatively recently. Do you think it would be ok to limit interracial couples to having civil unions?

The over riding problem with this issue is there are rights at a federal level which conflict with rights at a state level. All have to be brought to the same point at the same time. I liken it to when they changed the drinking age to 21 where federal highway funds were withheld unless the states changed their drinking laws to match.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Why should straight couples be allowed a religious wedding but gay couples not? I'm not saying that churches should be forced to marry gay people, but if a church is willing then there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to do it.

The whole civil vs marriage thing is silly anyway, they should all just be marriage. It's not like there is a strict definition of marriage being a religious thing only. I had a "civil union" wedding and no one has ever corrected me whenever I said I got married.
Exactly.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Discuss? Let's hear your views on it first...then perhaps we'll discuss it.
As the parent of a gay child, I would like him to have the right to get really married (if he wanted to,) and by really married, I mean not just in one of a few states. And if he (a USC) married an immigrant, he should be able to sponsor that immigrant for a green card. I just don't understand why marriage is legislated at the state level, when so many federal regulations from taxation to immigration are dependent on marital status.

Last edited by BellaE; Apr 5th 2012 at 8:13 pm. Reason: more things to say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.