Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

I posted this on the UK Yankee forum but felt it should be posted here.

May take effect this June

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...crackdown.html

The letter from Mrs May to Nick Clegg, which has been seen by The Sunday Telegraph, proposes a tough new minimum income of £25,700 a year for anyone seeking to bring a spouse, partner or dependant to the UK from outside the European Union from June - almost double the current threshold of £13,700.

The minimum income would rise dramatically - up to £62,600 - if children are also brought in.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 2:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Originally Posted by drhewitt

The letter from Mrs May to Nick Clegg, which has been seen by The Sunday Telegraph, proposes a tough new minimum income of £25,700 a year for anyone seeking to bring a spouse, partner or dependant to the UK from outside the European Union from June - almost double the current threshold of £13,700.

The minimum income would rise dramatically - up to £62,600 - if children are also brought in.
Wow!!!
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theresa May wants minimum income of £25,700; £49,000 if you have 2 kids

Thats well and good if they are living in a high income area, i.e. London and the South, but those kinds of wages for average earners don't happen in many areas. I wonder if co sponsors will be allowed, like when people move to US.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Why should the UK or any other country let people in if they can not support themselves,so i do not see a problem with it.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigals
Why should the UK or any other country let people in if they can not support themselves,so i do not see a problem with it.
I think the point is whether the amounts in question are really necessary to demonstrate that you can support yourself, not the general principle of demonstrating a minimum income. Is £50k really necessary to support a wife and two children, for example?

Plus, we are talking about UK citizens wishing to repatriate, not random foreigners.

The UK seems quite willing to support millions of current citizens/residents who have no desire to work, for a lifetime, who AFAIK could marry a European spouse without needing permission.

These things aren't always as simple as they first appear.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with bigals sentiment to a degree.

What I don't understand is how the amount is attributed to a couple who are coming without jobs (like we did). Do you have to demonstrate one year's worth of these savings to qualify? Is income and savings the same thing in that case?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the point is whether the amounts in question are really necessary to demonstrate that you can support yourself, not the general principle of demonstrating a minimum income. Is £50k really necessary to support a wife and two children, for example?

Plus, we are talking about UK citizens wishing to repatriate, not random foreigners.

The UK seems quite willing to support millions of current citizens/residents who have no desire to work, for a lifetime, who AFAIK could marry a European spouse without needing permission.

These things aren't always as simple as they first appear.
Nothing is simple in these politically correct times,what they really want to say is we need to stem the flow of partners from India ,Pakistan etc but would be crucified for saying so,and yes the Uk and many other countries have a problem with those who have no desire to work,they should be made to work but in comes the PC brigade to fight their corner .
I would like to add I am moving back with a spouse if she gets her visaand have secured a job for 32 k a year and I think it may be tight
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I agree with bigals sentiment to a degree.

What I don't understand is how the amount is attributed to a couple who are coming without jobs (like we did). Do you have to demonstrate one year's worth of these savings to qualify? Is income and savings the same thing in that case?
I'd hope they would also consider home ownership. If you own a house, there's £6k to £12k a year you won't be needing for rent or mortgage.

There should be a clearer, more common sense method of means testing than simple salary bands.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Nothing like an inflamatory article in the Telegraph to stir interest and get pulses racing before Sunday dinner. And, to add more spice to the mix, it is based upon 'a leaked cabinet letter'.
The Telegraph is getting even better at this type of journalism than The Daily Mail.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 7:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny22
Nothing like an inflamatory article in the Telegraph to stir interest and get pulses racing before Sunday dinner. And, to add more spice to the mix, it is based upon 'a leaked cabinet letter'.
The Telegraph is getting even better at this type of journalism than The Daily Mail.
To be fair, though, there are previous threads here that have discussed this so it's not exactly come out of the blue.

What's interesting is that the minimum amount of money the government says is needed is far more than it pays most of its civil servants.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd hope they would also consider home ownership. If you own a house, there's £6k to £12k a year you won't be needing for rent or mortgage.

There should be a clearer, more common sense method of means testing than simple salary bands.
As someone hoping to return to the UK as a retiree, I can see several complications. As you mention, dunroving, hopefully homeownership will be factored in. Then, what about guaranteed income in the future. For instance, I could say now, I'll start taking my US Social Security; that's $12,000 per annum on the credit side of my income calculation. But what if I prudently decide to defer my SS for three years, so I have a future income stream, starting in 3 years time, of (say) $15,000 each year... but my wife & I want to return to the UK next year, so hopefully their income/assets algorithm will allow for that, and credit the future income somehow...

Then what about assets? $500,000 yields $17,000 per year? $25,000 per year? what assumptions are they going to make?

Boy with hindsight I wish we'd got my wife her citizenship before we left England in 1991!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

This article was also posted on the UK Spouse Visa Information thread.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:12 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie husband is playing this down to me... says it won't apply to us as he'll be earning enough to support himself (I'm the British citizen, but not working, so wouldn't meet the income requirement to bring him back.) I hope he's right. (And hope he can get a job. Auditing.)

As for the children aspect, I'm assuming this extra income is only meant to be required of people bringing non-UK citizen children into the UK?

My child (will be an adult by then) is Aussie born but has a UK passport, so as a British citizen, the extra income required shouldn't be a concern, should it?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I am unsure legally how this will work in practice. I would have thought a United Kingdom citizen has the right to marry and bring into the country a person of their choice as long as the relationship can be proved not to be one of convenience. In other words a bonafide marriage. As I understand it is a Human Right. If came into law surely could be contested in European Court?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I am unsure legally how this will work in practice. I would have thought a United Kingdom citizen has the right to marry and bring into the country a person of their choice as long as the relationship can be proved not to be one of convenience. In other words a bonafide marriage. As I understand it is a Human Right. If came into law surely could be contested in European Court?
Yes, I've made that same point on the other threads.

One human right that the UK has signed up to is the right to family life. I don't think for one minute that this means you can have a family life just naff off and do it somewhere else.

I imagine someone will challenge it at some point and there will be a huge loss in costs to the UK taxpayer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.