Reload this Page >

Scottish University Residency Rule

Scottish University Residency Rule

Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:34 am
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough
Default Scottish University Residency Rule

Hi All,

I have decided to return to the Scotland because I have decided Oz is not for me, the move over here was never forever, but just to see what its like. I left the UK in July 2008 and returned in January 2010. I then returned to Oz in March 2011 and will be leaving in Feburary 2012. I hope to attend university in September 2012.

While in Oz I have maintaned bank accounts in the UK and all my family are in Scotland. While in Oz from 2008-2010 I have completed some postgrad study for my job and again I am furthering my experience here in Oz. Currently I am on a leave without pay for the year.

I am wondering if anyone has any wisdom on the the three year residency rule. Both periods in Oz I have completed study in relation to my job/speciality and could use this as explanation for being in Oz and just now I am still technically employed in the UK.

It seems if I can prove my move to Oz was temporary then I am still considered a normal resident of Scotland. Anyone got any experience or wisdom on this subject.

Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish University Residency Rule

I think the devil is in the details. What do you have to show you were temporarily overseas? Did you have permanent residency in Australia, or a temporary work visa? etc, etc.

For example my son applied to universities in the UK. On one of the forms (to determine residency) they stated that in order to prove that the time overseas was temporary they needed: "A letter from the employer of the person concerned confirming that the employment was temporary (eg. contract/secondment) and any other evidence that shows that you are/were only temporarily resident in the overseas country."

So I would imagine that bottom line comes down to what you have to show your residence overseas was only temporary.

There's a thread here on this topic that you may find useful.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:54 am
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

I had permanent residency in Australia because it was not that hard to get as a nurse. However I did maintain my professional registration in the UK as a nurse and kept my bank accounts open, thats about it because I didnt have any debts cause I was still living with parents.

However I completed my studies in December 2009 and left Australia in January 2010. However all nursing contracts here in Oz are perm. I suppose I just need to apply and see what happens.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fejaouk
Hi All,
I hope to attend university in September 2012.

It seems if I can prove my move to Oz was temporary then I am still considered a normal resident of Scotland.
Who knows what will happen in 2012 for Scotland.

It looks like they are facing a legal challange from England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the EU too I suspect.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14607122

With Lord Barnett calling for his Barnett formula to be removed as it was only temporary, that will seriously affect the amount of money Scotland is given if the government decide to make a fairer policy for all citizens in the UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

Your permanent status in OZ might mean you can't claim to be temporary in Oz; as you weren't.

Have you looked on the NHS site to see if you qualify for any NHS student busaries, regardless
of the resident rule?
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/students

Last edited by formula; Aug 22nd 2011 at 9:54 am.