Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

do i need a passport to travel from the UK to barcelona??

do i need a passport to travel from the UK to barcelona??

Old Oct 23rd 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

gijo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do i need a passport to travel from the UK to barcelona??

Hi im trying every where and cant find a definate answer to this, Do i need a passport to travel to barcelona from the uk or can i just use a photo ID card?
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 4:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do i need a passport to travel from the UK to barcelona??

Originally Posted by gijo
Hi im trying every where and cant find a definate answer to this, Do i need a passport to travel to barcelona from the uk or can i just use a photo ID card?
Hi, what does your "photo ID card" consist of? If it's a Driving Licence, then no, it's not valid for passing borders.
You'll have to tell us what this card is before any one can help....
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

You need a passport. If you are travelling by air the airline should be able to confirm this also.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 11:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I live in Spain and I travelled around europe without using my passport. When I fly UK / Spain / UK I hardly ever show my passport in Spain. When I cross the French / Spanish border I dont show a passport. However it is a requirement in Spain to carry a passport if you are a foreigner

The only place I usually always get stopped is returning or leaving the UK. Guaranteed. The only time I didn't I drove from UK to Paris & return via Dover and wasnt asked for one, but that was a while back
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

it is a provisional driving lisence so i take it this wouldnt be any good!! Ive also got a proof of age card. Thanx for advice from all im a bit disapointed now though I have flown to northern ireland with only my proof of age card before!

Last edited by gijo; Oct 24th 2010 at 7:17 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

We think N. Ireland is still part of the U.K. ?
Therefore , a passport should not be required for travel withing the same country , IMHO .
Albeit , Barcelona seems to still be in Catalunya , Spain , which also is a member of the Schengen agreement ( and U.K. is NOT ) ;
therefore : for Brits and other non-Schengen : valid passport = compulsory ;
whereas for the Schengen-group member states' citizens , a valid national ID card suffices .
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really nice

You (the royal you) can travel within Europe using a national identity card. As the UK does not have national ID cards for its citizens, UK citizens still need to use a passport. A drivers liscence would only be OK if you are traveling within the UK (and therefore N. Ireland), not within Europe. Someone from spain can use there national ID card to travel to the UK and back again, Ive travelled with someone who did this. The airport staff in the UK did put up a bit of a fight but she still got on the plane.

Last edited by Fingers crossed; Nov 1st 2010 at 11:13 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that last reply that has made the rules clear to me i now understand the whole confusion over ID/passport. Bad news- ill have to buy a passport!!