Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Expat Shield and Windows 8

Expat Shield and Windows 8

Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expat Shield and Windows 8

Does anybody know if expat shield will work with Windows 8?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:44 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Shield and Windows 8

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
According to this link.... Yes

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6132106AA0pxaJ
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

grouchybabes is an unknown quantity at this point

I can get hotspot shield to work on win8, but not expat shield, which complains about compatbility issues
Old Dec 14th 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Hi there, I just bought a new laptop (w/out touchscreen) with W8. Can't say I'm a big fan yet but once I open the 'desktop' tile all is more familiar.....I've now downloaded Expat and all works fine, just as it did on my older W7 system PC.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:55 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest is this some sort of IP software providing a UK or anonymous IP?
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Hi there, I just bought a new laptop (w/out touchscreen) with W8. Can't say I'm a big fan yet but once I open the 'desktop' tile all is more familiar.....I've now downloaded Expat and all works fine, just as it did on my older W7 system PC.
....update, expat is now causing problems with the dreaded blue screen (bad pool caller) and google showed this-

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-6ca8ccdf9333

It does work but you have to force a re-start....they're going to have to fix things for it to be fully compatible I guess
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

ColinWillies is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Expat Shield and Windows 8

HOTSPOTShield works with no issues in Win 8 Pro.
EXPATShield Tech Support has a version available for their "Elite" customers - they will supply it by mail if you have paid...
EXPATShield "advert funded version" does NOT install on a fresh Win 8 Pro installation, no matter how much you "fiddle" with the compatibility settings.
However ...
EXPATShield "advert funded version" installs and works fine after a reboot if you follow the instructions here: http://superuser.com/questions/49960...t-in-windows-8...

Hope someone finds this useful as it is the result of many hours of testing
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColinWillies
... EXPATShield "advert funded version" installs and works fine after a reboot if you follow the instructions here: http://superuser.com/questions/49960...t-in-windows-8...

Hope someone finds this useful as it is the result of many hours of testing
Tried that....on two separate Win 8 computers....installed, runs, works...but crashes the computer..On restart, error message presented "bad pool spooler."

Same problem I had after installing Win 8 managing to leave expatshield installed.

So for now, my home theatre PCs will be staying on WIN 7.

Cheers, AS
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:18 am
Just Joined

ColinWillies is an unknown quantity at this point

See this thread for a working solution on Win8 : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2dbe4b5&page=2
Old Jun 30th 2013, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

JasonBourne13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Expat Shield does work on Windows 8. What you need to do is restart your computer in Safe Mode. Here is how to do that:

Step 1: Press Win+R (WIN is the window button on your keyboard) to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility.

Step 2: In the Boot tab, check Safe boot, followed by the type of Safe Mode that you want to achieve (Network Safe Mode is recommended). Hit Apply. That's it, it will prompt you to Restart your computer, just click the Restart button and wait for Windows 8 to restart.

When you get back to your desktop, go online and download Expat Shield from it's main page. Run the setup. It might prompt you to download toolbars or some other none sense, just click Decline or No and finish the download. After it is finished downloading you can test it online in Safe mode before you reboot in Normal Mode (OPTIONAL).

Then Press Win+R to get the Run dialog. Type “msconfig” (without the quotes) and launch the utility again. In the boot tab, deselect Safe Mode boot and click Ok and just restart your computer.

That's it! Now you have a working Expat Shield with no compatibility issues or any annoying pop-ups saying it doesn't work!! Enjoy!!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:23 pm
Banned

Uncle_Granada is an unknown quantity at this point

te to be a party poop but the Safw Mode with Networking solution does not work if one is using a dongle.