Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Drop in welding jobs - Oz

Drop in welding jobs - Oz

Old Mar 9th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

stu and dawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drop in welding jobs - Oz

I've been keeping an eye on seek.com for just over a year now, and normally there are between 90 - 110 welding jobs if you enter Perth, Brisbane or Melbourne.
This year there doesn't seem to be many at all. At first I thought it was the usual slump you get before and after Xmas, but we are into March now and if anything it seems to be getting worse - Perth only has 7, Brisbane and Melbourne 14

Are there a lot of welders out of work in Oz at the moment?

I hope things pick up as I'm in the process of doing my TRA at the moment.

I realise this is just one job website but is it a true picture of how the welding
game is out there just now?

Stu.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:13 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drop in welding jobs - Oz

I think it is a fair reflection, we are in cairns and looking all over qld there is only a few being listed, there are a few being listed in the papers but competition is fierce for them.

We keep getting told things will pick up once the flooding in areas of qld has finished, so we sit and wait.

But not holding our breath
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, things have taken a down turn.

Me and hubby arrived on 10th February (so yes, still early days but....) and my hubby managed to get a job this week and he is a welder, but his job doesn't involve alot of welding at all. He must have applied for ALL the welding related jobs as soon as they come up, but there are about 20 guys going for the same job, so very difficult for us at the minute.

I have applied for alot of jobs too, not as many as the hubby, but still nothing

We also kept a track of the jobs before we came out and they have seriously dropped off, I am sure things will settle down soon.

Things will hopefully be different by the time all the new applicants arrive, keeping my fingers crossed

Good luck to all those going through the process and all those in Oz stuck in limbo (I know we are) !!!

D.
xxx
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The minister has today finally announced changes to the skilled migration programme. Welder has been removed from the Critical Skills List (along with several other trades).

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...09/ce09030.htm

This is probably an indication of a state of employment prospects.

For the OP, there is some confusion over this release but it appears to suggest you would need an employer to sponsor you to qualify for skilled migration.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

stu and dawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
The minister has today finally announced changes to the skilled migration programme. Welder has been removed from the Critical Skills List (along with several other trades).

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...09/ce09030.htm

This is probably an indication of a state of employment prospects.

For the OP, there is some confusion over this release but it appears to suggest you would need an employer to sponsor you to qualify for skilled migration.
Not good . Time to contact my agent I think

Thanks for the info.

Stu.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:46 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

we were on the sunshine cost for 9 months think my DH prob worked 4 months out of that he is a welder and very little work before we came home he worked on a race track cutting grass.

so I know from friends still there Jobs are still very scarce
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:53 am
Just Joined

GoldCoastTitan has a brilliant futureGoldCoastTitan has a brilliant futureGoldCoastTitan has a brilliant futureGoldCoastTitan has a brilliant futureGoldCoastTitan has a brilliant futureGoldCoastTitan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stu and dawn
I've been keeping an eye on seek.com for just over a year now, and normally there are between 90 - 110 welding jobs if you enter Perth, Brisbane or Melbourne.
This year there doesn't seem to be many at all. At first I thought it was the usual slump you get before and after Xmas, but we are into March now and if anything it seems to be getting worse - Perth only has 7, Brisbane and Melbourne 14

Are there a lot of welders out of work in Oz at the moment?

I hope things pick up as I'm in the process of doing my TRA at the moment.

I realise this is just one job website but is it a true picture of how the welding
game is out there just now?

Stu.
Hi
Not sure this helps, but all the welding jobs on the websites did not prove positive for my other half. They were either low paid or working away from home which is the last thing you want when starting a new life in Oz. He got a list of contacts from word of mouth and just kept calling them and asked if he could go in a take a welding test. He got a job within a couple of weeks from applying, although he has mentioned that the work is dropping off a little. It really does pay off to keep calling and knocking on doors so to speak. We are in Brisbane and he has had steady work for 9 months now so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:56 am
Just Joined

cheesman is an unknown quantity at this point

is anyone here still looking for welding jobs I my have some going in South Australia