Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Are there any Brits in Alaska?

Are there any Brits in Alaska?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:41 am
Hello Moto!!!!!

IloveAlaska is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any Brits in Alaska?

I have been here 4+ years. Whenever I am in the English food section of Fred Meyers I always listen out for another British accent, but alas, so far I haven't heard one!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any Brits in Alaska?

Where are you? I lived in Fairbanks and Dutch for five years with short stints in small interior bush locations from '91-96. Spent lots of time in Meyers amazed by all it had to offer lol! I loved Alaska and embraced all it nad to offer but found it culturally a bit too different after a while.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 1:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

JanAlaska is there and I think someone else asked about the place recently, no idea where abouts in the state though, so there's a few of you at least
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
JanAlaska is there and I think someone else asked about the place recently, no idea where abouts in the state though, so there's a few of you at least
Wasilla.....if I'm not mistaken.

Jim.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there ... where in AK are you ?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:09 am
Just Joined

MGH.AK has a spectacular aura aboutMGH.AK has a spectacular aura aboutMGH.AK has a spectacular aura about

I'm planning on being a Brit in Alaska this autumn (after wedding) , all being well
I was in Title Wave on my first trip over to Anchorage and I'm sure a guy working in there was a Brit, was too shy to ask though

PS It was me that asked about AK last August :-)

Last edited by MGH.AK; Jan 19th 2012 at 8:11 am. Reason: Add extra line
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:15 pm
Hello Moto!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Hi there ... where in AK are you ?
We are 73 miles north of Wasilla, just above Talkeetna. I make a trip to Wasilla every couple of weeks for groceries. Or about once a month we go all the way into Anchorage for a CostCo shop! I definitely prefer doing it during the summer months as opposed to winter time, you know the score.......snow, icy roads......oh and moose!!!!

Do you actually live in Wasilla?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:30 pm
Hello Moto!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes it's really exciting, when you realise you're not on your own! I had never ever thought about checking out this website before, but I'm glad I did now
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

MGH.AK has a spectacular aura aboutMGH.AK has a spectacular aura aboutMGH.AK has a spectacular aura about

There must be more than 3 of us there (even though I haven't moved there yet)
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:37 pm
Hello Moto!!!!!

Originally Posted by MGH.AK
I'm planning on being a Brit in Alaska this autumn (after wedding) , all being well
I was in Title Wave on my first trip over to Anchorage and I'm sure a guy working in there was a Brit, was too shy to ask though

PS It was me that asked about AK last August :-)
On a previous post you mention you will be living in Anchorage? Have you looked at any other areas, or will you have a job to go to Anchorage? When we were wanting to move here, I told my husband I wanted to be no more than a couple of hours from "civilization", other wise he would of moved us out to the middle of the boonies!!!!!!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:42 pm
Hello Moto!!!!!

Originally Posted by MGH.AK
There must be more than 3 of us there (even though I haven't moved there yet)
Hee hee!!

Yes I met a lady from Sheffield a couple of years ago. She lives in Wasilla. Then in November I met another English lady who has lived in Anchorage for about 20 years. She told me there used to be a group of Expat English ladies who met up every so often, but for some reason they stopped
Maybe we should start a new group????
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I'm living just the other side of Wasilla by the Palmer-Wasilla hwy. I've met a couple of other Brits here, firstly theres Mitch who works in Wasilla Fred Meyer and his dad who works in the Palmer Fred Meyer also one of the patients at the surgery where I work is a Brit so we have a chinwag when she comes for her appointments.
I think the idea of meeting up is a great one
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:51 am
Hello Moto!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
I'm living just the other side of Wasilla by the Palmer-Wasilla hwy. I've met a couple of other Brits here, firstly theres Mitch who works in Wasilla Fred Meyer and his dad who works in the Palmer Fred Meyer also one of the patients at the surgery where I work is a Brit so we have a chinwag when she comes for her appointments.
I think the idea of meeting up is a great one
Seriously! Gosh I can't believe there are so many of us! I'm definitely up for a meeting! I actually have a neighbor who is from Lancashire, and we are always chin wagging!!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Looks like I'll do my shopping at Freddies in Wasilla
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

For a while we were all working at Freddies in Wasilla .... the British invasion !!!

Theres a local 5 a side football group who play I think mostly on Sundays. I know Mitch plays football and for a while my daughter played on the same team. Its interesting to watch the difference between the American players and the Brits, it was also interesting watching the Americans trying to interpret what the Brits on the field were shouting to/at each other. I've also heard of a local rugby league not sure on details of that but I could find out if anyone is interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.