Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

kate7590 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

We are hoping to move to Canada in the future, hopfully next year sometime. My fiance is Canadian and has been here on a holiday visa for over a year.
We have a dog and a rabbit that we want to take with us.

About the rabbit-
He is a German lop, weighing approx 3kg.
Does he need any vaccinations to travel?
Any idea how much it will cost to fly him over?
Iv heard different things from people, some say he can travel in the cabin as long as hes in a secure carry cage, others say he has to be in the hold.
Can the normal carry boxes be used to transport him, or does it need to be a specially made one??
How much will it cost?

About the dog-
Hes a nearly fully grown BC x, weighing approx 20kg.
Now I know a little more about this, but not enough!
I know he needs a rabies vaccination and clear blood tests.
He is already microchipped and neutered.
Do I buy a big crate to transport him in? Or does the airline provide one/rent one?
Any idea how much it will cost for him?

Can I do all of this myself or do I have to get a 3rd party organisastion involved, such as petsaway/jetsetpets?
Im easger to do this without a huge amount of money spent if possible!

Any help greatly appriciated x
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying rabbit & dog from UK to Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by kate7590
We are hoping to move to Canada in the future, hopfully next year sometime. My fiance is Canadian and has been here on a holiday visa for over a year.
We have a dog and a rabbit that we want to take with us.

About the rabbit-
He is a German lop, weighing approx 3kg.
Does he need any vaccinations to travel?
Any idea how much it will cost to fly him over?
Iv heard different things from people, some say he can travel in the cabin as long as hes in a secure carry cage, others say he has to be in the hold.
Can the normal carry boxes be used to transport him, or does it need to be a specially made one??
How much will it cost?

About the dog-
Hes a nearly fully grown BC x, weighing approx 20kg.
Now I know a little more about this, but not enough!
I know he needs a rabies vaccination and clear blood tests.
He is already microchipped and neutered.
Do I buy a big crate to transport him in? Or does the airline provide one/rent one?
Any idea how much it will cost for him?

Can I do all of this myself or do I have to get a 3rd party organisastion involved, such as petsaway/jetsetpets?
Im easger to do this without a huge amount of money spent if possible!

Any help greatly appriciated x
1. You need an import permit for the rabbit see: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...gomorphe.shtml
2. Depends on the airline, for example Air Canada states Cats and Dogs, in the cabin, but not to/from UK, they have to go cargo. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...-in-cabin.html
3. It is not going to be cheap
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:46 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

you can do the dog yourself...you have to buy the crate

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...n-baggage.html
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

It may be easier and cheaper just to eat the rabbit
Old Oct 31st 2009, 2:14 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
It may be easier and cheaper just to eat the rabbit
Nice with some potatoes, carrots and lots of gravvvvy
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

watergirl73 is an unknown quantity at this point

When my husband moved to Canada 2 years ago after we got married he brought along the dog as well. He had to get a medical and all shots etc for the dog, crate, and it cost him about 250 pounds to fly the dog to Toronto.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sheadboy
you can do the dog yourself...you have to buy the crate

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...n-baggage.html
We brought ours this way however the Dog and the crate combined weight has to be 32kg's or less.

Might be a bit tight with the dog already 20kg's. Get it on a bantam weight diet and shave it before flying to lose some extra weight...
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
We brought ours this way however the Dog and the crate combined weight has to be 32kg's or less.

Might be a bit tight with the dog already 20kg's. Get it on a bantam weight diet and shave it before flying to lose some extra weight...
Or have dog chops with the rabbit stew.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:13 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Somebody at OREO or Rabbit Rescue might be able to help with the bunny. Or at least be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/
http://www.rabbitrescue.ca/

Don't eat it. You'll make me sad.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

What Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant futureWhat Limits has a brilliant future

Can't believe there are no jokes about flying rabbits!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by What Limits
Can't believe there are no jokes about flying rabbits!
But I was tempted
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:38 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

We are planning on moving next year and we are going to take the boat from Southampton to NYC then drive as I'm not sure one of my dogs in particular could stand a flight.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Libertay
We are planning on moving next year and we are going to take the boat from Southampton to NYC then drive as I'm not sure one of my dogs in particular could stand a flight.

Any idea how much this is going to cost you? :]

Kate x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:46 pm
London -Vancouver bound

Libertay is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the dogs will cost between 300-500 $US per dog it will take 6 days to get to NYC
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you :] Might have a think about this. Im gueseing its more expensive for us humans to travel by boat than to fly though :S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.