Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Importing a motor vehicle into South Africa

Importing a motor vehicle into South Africa

Old May 9th 2005, 8:03 am
Just Joined

pie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the rough
Default Importing a motor vehicle into South Africa

I am looking at moving to South Africa towards the end of the year and am considering importing my motor vehicle to South Africa. The current market value for the car is very low and with the cost of cars in South Africa being expensive, I am thinking that it may be worthwhile.

Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old May 9th 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Importing a motor vehicle into South Africa

The Letter of Authority (LOA)-you can get this from SABS(South African bureau of standards) web site.
A Letter of Authority must be obtained by any person or organisation wishing to :

import a new or used vehicle (passenger vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer) into South Africa;
build or modify a vehicle.
A LOA must be obtained irrespective of whether the vehicle was built in SA or a foreign country.

Types of vehicles for which a LOA is required

Passenger vehicles (cars, buses and motor cycles)
Goods vehicles (trucks or vans)
Trailers
Special vehicles such as mobile cranes, tractors, harvesters
Conformity of vehicles

All vehicles whether manufactured in SA or imported, must conform to the requirements for vehicles as set out in the Road Traffic Act, and importers must supply proof of conformity to the SABS

The requirements for vehicles are in general aligned with European requirements, ie the applicable regulations and directives of the EEC. These are similar to those used in the ECE. Importers of foreign vehicles are strongly advised to consult the SABS to determine the specific requirements for their vehicle/s. This is particularly important for vehicles that are

Left hand drive; or
that originate in countries outside of Europe, such as the Americas, the Far East and Australasia.
Left hand drive vehicles

NOTE!!! - LEFT HAND DRIVE VEHICLES. EFFECTIVE 23 JULY 2004 A LHD VEHICLE MAY ONLY BE LEGALLY IMPORTED & OPERATED ON SA ROADS IF IT WAS FIRST REGISTERED & LICENCED IN THE NAME OF THE IMPORTER (OR REGISTERED OWNER) BEFORE 1ST JANUARY 2000. PLEASE CONTACT THE SABS FOR ADVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO IMPORT ANY LHD VEHICLE.
PERMISSION TO IMPORT A LHD VEHICLE, IF GRANTED, IS PERSONAL TO THE IMPORTER. THE VEHICLE MUST BE SOLD OR DISPOSED OUTSIDE THE RSA, OR DESTROYED. THIS INCLUDES DONATIONS AND BEQUESTS. DIPLOMATIC VEHICLES THAT ARE LHD OR OTHERWISE NON-COMPLIANT WITH CURRENT REGULATIONS MUST BE EXPORTED AT THE END OF THE TERM OF DUTY IN RSA.

Private individuals or organizations importing vehicles for their own use

Vehicles of foreign origin – used vehicles

Except for certain special vehicles that are not available in SA, such as mobile cranes, used vehicles may only be imported by immigrants having permanent residence in SA, or returning SA residents and citizens.
The vehicle must have been owned, licenced and operated by the applicant, whilst living in the foreign country, for a minimum of 6 months prior to export.
Importers must obtain a Letter of Authority 1 from the SABS.
Foreign vehicles

Except for special vehicles, used foreign vehicles may not be imported for purposes of sale or resale.

Good luck! Just like anywhere else in the world here in SA red tape can be quite horrendous.I'm not sure exactly what customs duty and vat add up to but it's in the region of around 25-30% of the value of the vehicle and than on top of that another 14% for VAT.
Old May 9th 2005, 9:07 am
Just Joined

pie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the roughpie101 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stormer
The Letter of Authority (LOA)-you can get this from SABS(South African bureau of standards) web site.
A Letter of Authority must be obtained by any person or organisation wishing to :

import a new or used vehicle (passenger vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer) into South Africa;
build or modify a vehicle.
A LOA must be obtained irrespective of whether the vehicle was built in SA or a foreign country.

Types of vehicles for which a LOA is required

Passenger vehicles (cars, buses and motor cycles)
Goods vehicles (trucks or vans)
Trailers
Special vehicles such as mobile cranes, tractors, harvesters
Conformity of vehicles

All vehicles whether manufactured in SA or imported, must conform to the requirements for vehicles as set out in the Road Traffic Act, and importers must supply proof of conformity to the SABS

The requirements for vehicles are in general aligned with European requirements, ie the applicable regulations and directives of the EEC. These are similar to those used in the ECE. Importers of foreign vehicles are strongly advised to consult the SABS to determine the specific requirements for their vehicle/s. This is particularly important for vehicles that are

Left hand drive; or
that originate in countries outside of Europe, such as the Americas, the Far East and Australasia.
Left hand drive vehicles

NOTE!!! - LEFT HAND DRIVE VEHICLES. EFFECTIVE 23 JULY 2004 A LHD VEHICLE MAY ONLY BE LEGALLY IMPORTED & OPERATED ON SA ROADS IF IT WAS FIRST REGISTERED & LICENCED IN THE NAME OF THE IMPORTER (OR REGISTERED OWNER) BEFORE 1ST JANUARY 2000. PLEASE CONTACT THE SABS FOR ADVICE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO IMPORT ANY LHD VEHICLE.
PERMISSION TO IMPORT A LHD VEHICLE, IF GRANTED, IS PERSONAL TO THE IMPORTER. THE VEHICLE MUST BE SOLD OR DISPOSED OUTSIDE THE RSA, OR DESTROYED. THIS INCLUDES DONATIONS AND BEQUESTS. DIPLOMATIC VEHICLES THAT ARE LHD OR OTHERWISE NON-COMPLIANT WITH CURRENT REGULATIONS MUST BE EXPORTED AT THE END OF THE TERM OF DUTY IN RSA.

Private individuals or organizations importing vehicles for their own use

Vehicles of foreign origin – used vehicles

Except for certain special vehicles that are not available in SA, such as mobile cranes, used vehicles may only be imported by immigrants having permanent residence in SA, or returning SA residents and citizens.
The vehicle must have been owned, licenced and operated by the applicant, whilst living in the foreign country, for a minimum of 6 months prior to export.
Importers must obtain a Letter of Authority 1 from the SABS.
Foreign vehicles

Except for special vehicles, used foreign vehicles may not be imported for purposes of sale or resale.

Good luck! Just like anywhere else in the world here in SA red tape can be quite horrendous.I'm not sure exactly what customs duty and vat add up to but it's in the region of around 25-30% of the value of the vehicle and than on top of that another 14% for VAT.
Thanks, useful information. Is the value of the vehicle based on the market value in the UK or the market value in South Africa? With the second hand car market in the UK being very weak or weaker than South Africa, this value differs considerably, even if one converts the UK market value in rands.
Old May 9th 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pie101
Thanks, useful information. Is the value of the vehicle based on the market value in the UK or the market value in South Africa? With the second hand car market in the UK being very weak or weaker than South Africa, this value differs considerably, even if one converts the UK market value in rands.
Without going into the whole debate on why you want to come here and bring your car (there are plenty of other post re: this theme) and assuming you've done your homework my guess would be the country of origin of the car. One of my friends (if I remember correctly) got few quotes from the car dealers in the UK stating trade in value of the car and used that as supporting documents. Sorry can't help you more, try and search the forums, I remember seeing one thread with exactly the same questions asked.
Old May 9th 2005, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Forgot to ask: what car is it?
Old May 9th 2005, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Forgot to ask: what car is it?
it a Alfa Romeo 145, Clover Leaf
Old May 9th 2005, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pie101
it a Alfa Romeo 145, Clover Leaf
Check www.autotrader.co.za, I got few hits.

2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) Full house, Induction system + sound system, Pioneer CD player, Calibra Cyclops 12` ... more >>
Cascades Motor Corporation R 95 500

2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2 L (P) ABS, e/w, a/c, c/l, a/b, JVC CD/shuttle, good condition. R92 000. ... more >>
R 92 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 Twinspark (P) Grey leather, full house, sunroof, g/lock, fl/cd, airbags, 17` mags, just been serviced, ... more >>
Abhishek R 78 000

1998 Alfa Romeo 145 t-Spark (P) FSH, full house, tinted windows, perfect condition, R20 000 sound system optional extra. ... more >>
Giancarlo R 75 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 (T) A/c, p/s, r/t, 159 000km, excellent condition ... more >>
Willow Crest Motors R 73 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) Excellent condition, full house, with cloth seats ... more >>
Associated Auto R 72 900

1996 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) ... more >>
Toits Menlyn R 59 990

PAGE: 1
Old May 9th 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Check www.autotrader.co.za, I got few hits.

2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) Full house, Induction system + sound system, Pioneer CD player, Calibra Cyclops 12` ... more >>
Cascades Motor Corporation R 95 500

2000 Alfa Romeo 145 2 L (P) ABS, e/w, a/c, c/l, a/b, JVC CD/shuttle, good condition. R92 000. ... more >>
R 92 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 Twinspark (P) Grey leather, full house, sunroof, g/lock, fl/cd, airbags, 17` mags, just been serviced, ... more >>
Abhishek R 78 000

1998 Alfa Romeo 145 t-Spark (P) FSH, full house, tinted windows, perfect condition, R20 000 sound system optional extra. ... more >>
Giancarlo R 75 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 (T) A/c, p/s, r/t, 159 000km, excellent condition ... more >>
Willow Crest Motors R 73 000

1997 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) Excellent condition, full house, with cloth seats ... more >>
Associated Auto R 72 900

1996 Alfa Romeo 145 2.0 (T) ... more >>
Toits Menlyn R 59 990

PAGE: 1

Thanks, the maximum trade-in value here in the UK is approx £1950. If this is coverted into rands at the current rate, this means I should be paying customs on approx R25000. This is about a third of the market price in SA. I am not sure if SA customs would agree with this as it would be in their best interest to maximise their duties.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Daniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the rough

I imported a vehicle into SA several years ago when I emigrated to South Africa. As an Immigrant I was then entitled to import one Duty Free vehicle, with only VAT payable on the vehicle, plus several small amounts in terms of local Stamp Duties and, of course, Clearance Charges due to the Clearing Agent (the car was imported by sea from the UK). The VAT due (14%) was payable on the ORIGINAL cost of the vehicle in the UK, excluding any Car Tax and VAT there. I would suggest you contact one of the local vehicle dealers in your area to obtain the actual dealer price for the car at the time of manufacture or first registration.

If you are not an Immigrant to SA, you may have to import the vehicle on a Temporary Import Permit (unless you want to fully import the vehicle immediately), for which you will be expected to post a security bond for the potential import duty. The AA in Basingstoke should be able to assist you in applying for a Triptyque in this regard. It is essential that you follow this regime carefully, because should you write-off your vehicle, however this happens, the vehicle will be considered fully imported and duty will become payable immediately.

I wrote an opinion on this matter a few years ago for a client when I was a Tax Manager at one of the big firms here. If you would like to have a copy please ask and I will e-mail it to you privately.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Daniel M
I imported a vehicle into SA several years ago when I emigrated to South Africa. As an Immigrant I was then entitled to import one Duty Free vehicle, with only VAT payable on the vehicle, plus several small amounts in terms of local Stamp Duties and, of course, Clearance Charges due to the Clearing Agent (the car was imported by sea from the UK). The VAT due (14%) was payable on the ORIGINAL cost of the vehicle in the UK, excluding any Car Tax and VAT there. I would suggest you contact one of the local vehicle dealers in your area to obtain the actual dealer price for the car at the time of manufacture or first registration.

If you are not an Immigrant to SA, you may have to import the vehicle on a Temporary Import Permit (unless you want to fully import the vehicle immediately), for which you will be expected to post a security bond for the potential import duty. The AA in Basingstoke should be able to assist you in applying for a Triptyque in this regard. It is essential that you follow this regime carefully, because should you write-off your vehicle, however this happens, the vehicle will be considered fully imported and duty will become payable immediately.

I wrote an opinion on this matter a few years ago for a client when I was a Tax Manager at one of the big firms here. If you would like to have a copy please ask and I will e-mail it to you privately.

Would you not also be liable for this tax if you sold it within a certain time say two years?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Daniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the roughDaniel M is a jewel in the rough

Would you not also be liable for this tax if you sold it within a certain time say two years?

If you are formally IMMIGRATING to South Africa and have not yet taken advantage of the "one duty free car" allowance the payment of the appropriate VAT and smaller duties would be final.

If you are simply moving temporarily to SA then you can avoid paying the Import Duty by taking out a Tryptique (see the AA in Basingstoke) and "rolling over" the tempoary import permit every six months. You would be advised to take out appropriate insurance in SA whilst your car is on the roads here.

If you want me to send you a copy of the Opinion that I produced a while ago, just ket me know and I will e-mail it to you.

Daniel M