Reference letter from my Employer

Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

vj1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Reference letter from my Employer

Hi,
CIC, Buffalo sent a letter to me asking for Letters of reference (employment) detailing my present and previous work experience. My current employer is my first employer and my employer will not issue a letter of reference with details. May I use other letter like salary hike letter for the reference or just write a letter to CIC explaining the problem.
Please advise…

Thanks,
Vj
Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reference letter from my Employer

Hi VJ

Originally Posted by vj1974
Hi,
CIC, Buffalo sent a letter to me asking for Letters of reference (employment) detailing my present and previous work experience. My current employer is my first employer and my employer will not issue a letter of reference with details. May I use other letter like salary hike letter for the reference or just write a letter to CIC explaining the problem.
Please advise…

Thanks,
Vj
Nope, any letter that you write will be considered self serving and will carry little weight. You are going to have to find a work around, such as saying you need the letter for to apply for a bank loan or whatever. Without a letter from the employer stating your duties, you may be out of luck.

PMM
Old Sep 13th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Dont you have co-workers ?? Just request them to write down all details about your work and sign the letter.

Hi,
Please advise…

Thanks,
Vj
Old Sep 13th 2004, 8:23 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orazone
Dont you have co-workers ?? Just request them to write down all details about your work and sign the letter.
You could use the job posting from when you were hired on or some other company document describing your duties
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

amina is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried talking to your employer (on good mood) on why can't he issue a detailed letter of reference? Did you tell that him that it won't consume much of his time considering that this can be accomplished even on a single sheet of paper? You should tell him that he doesn't need brainstorming in doing your simple request. Also, don't you have an HR Department that handles matters like these?

Hi,
Please advise…

Thanks,
Vj
Old Sep 13th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

going2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Reference letter from my Employer

Is Reference letter enough from the past employers or it is necessary to have some other support documents?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Amina,
Many employers have policy not to write down details. I dont know why but I asked one guy and he said , bcaz in the past some people took them to court to prove the stuff they wrote in the reference letter. I dont know if its true or not.
Faisal.

Originally Posted by amina
Have you tried talking to your employer (on good mood) on why can't he issue a detailed letter of reference? Did you tell that him that it won't consume much of his time considering that this can be accomplished even on a single sheet of paper? You should tell him that he doesn't need brainstorming in doing your simple request. Also, don't you have an HR Department that handles matters like these?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

amina is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I understand that this is indeed happening to some of us. But here's my suggestion to VJ, why not make a draft of your duties and resposibilites by yourself then present to your employer for clarification/correction. (Do this with your utmost humility). Do tell him the purpose of this document. If the draft is edited and agreeable between you and your boss, retype it, make it formal then have it signed. Hope this works.

Originally Posted by orazone
Amina,
Many employers have policy not to write down details. I dont know why but I asked one guy and he said , bcaz in the past some people took them to court to prove the stuff they wrote in the reference letter. I dont know if its true or not.
Faisal.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 1:55 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by amina
Yeah, I understand that this is indeed happening to some of us. But here's my suggestion to VJ, why not make a draft of your duties and resposibilites by yourself then present to your employer for clarification/correction. (Do this with your utmost humility). Do tell him the purpose of this document. If the draft is edited and agreeable between you and your boss, retype it, make it formal then have it signed. Hope this works.
I was honest with my employer and told exactly why I needed the letter. My boss actually told me to write the letter. He signed it, because everything in the letter was true. I can't see why they would mind signing it if everything is correct. May be I'm just lucky and I have a great boss.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, thats right. I also did the same. I even presented CIC's Initial Assessment letter to my employer clearly telling him what they are looking for. My employer asked me to write a letter and put all the required info there. I did the same and he signed it. My HR manager even added lines like Mr. ABCs Employment is garanteed till Jan, 2006 and at this time his salary is x $ /year.

Originally Posted by MJ23
I was honest with my employer and told exactly why I needed the letter. My boss actually told me to write the letter. He signed it, because everything in the letter was true. I can't see why they would mind signing it if everything is correct. May be I'm just lucky and I have a great boss.