Reload this Page >

Bournemouth - best areas to live

Bournemouth - best areas to live

Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:41 am
Just Joined

amazonwoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bournemouth - best areas to live

Hi All,

After 23 years in Perth, Western Australia we are thinking of moving back to the UK. Even though we are originally from the North of England for lots of reasons, including a better climate, we are considering Bournemouth or other areas of Dorset. Can anyone give me advice on the best areas to live. I don't drive so need access to buses and trains etc. Don't want to be too rural but not too built up either. Need shops and coffee places nearby. I have a great government job which I will regret leaving but hoping to get something similar maybe. I will be 60 next year so employment might not be easy.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows the area or has done something similar.

Cheers
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:24 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bournemouth - best areas to live

Originally Posted by amazonwoman
Hi All,

After 23 years in Perth, Western Australia we are thinking of moving back to the UK. Even though we are originally from the North of England for lots of reasons, including a better climate, we are considering Bournemouth or other areas of Dorset. Can anyone give me advice on the best areas to live. I don't drive so need access to buses and trains etc. Don't want to be too rural but not too built up either. Need shops and coffee places nearby. I have a great government job which I will regret leaving but hoping to get something similar maybe. I will be 60 next year so employment might not be easy.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows the area or has done something similar.

Cheers
Hi and welcome to BE,

Bournemouth is a great place to live but obviously being a large town is quite built up and busy. Other towns in Dorset are smaller and quieter, Dorchester is lovely as is Swanage and Wareham. All have reliable bus networks but the smaller towns are not as accessible as Bournemouth and Poole. All are very busy in the summer months.

It really depends on what you are looking for, I would say however generally Dorset property prices in relation to wages are very expensive. Bournemouth, being a large town, does have some cheaper areas, but as you would expect these are the less desirable parts of the town in which to live. The same can be said of Poole.

Jobs down here, like everywhere, are in short supply, because of the high property price to wage ratio down here if I were you I would first research the type of money I could earn and then look to see where I could afford based on that.

After 23 years in Perth the decision to move back must have been a tricky one, good luck with it all. I left Perth 5 years ago and have never regretted coming back to the UK once!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pommybird, I must admit the decision isn't final by any means. In fact my husband is having cold (or should that be hot) feet right now! I want to explore the options and get lots of information, so we can make an informed decision as hopefully it's the last move we will make.

I'm concerned about employment as I still have a few working years left. We would be able to buy a decent house with the money from our house sale here. That's why we can't go too rural, though that would suit my husband more as he is an artist and would like a studio.

I've read that Cantebury is a good place to live. I am looking on Rightmove so will just keep looking.

You say you haven't regretted going back to the UK. How is life there? We read so much about the economic climate and immigration overload. What is life in the UK really like?

Would love any imput from anyone.

Have a great day (It's early morning here)
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pommybird, I must admit the decision isn't final by any means. In fact my husband is having cold (or should that be hot) feet right now! I want to explore the options and get lots of information, so we can make an informed decision as hopefully it's the last move we will make.

I'm concerned about employment as I still have a few working years left. We would be able to buy a decent house with the money from our house sale here. That's why we can't go too rural, though that would suit my husband more as he is an artist and would like a studio.

I've read that Cantebury is a good place to live. I am looking on Rightmove so will just keep looking.

You say you haven't regretted going back to the UK. How is life there? We read so much about the economic climate and immigration overload. What is life in the UK really like?

Would love any imput from anyone.

Have a great day (It's early morning here)
As a native of Poole, I would say that jobs issue is everywhere from what my SIL is telling me.She lives in Poole and commutes to Shaftesbury everyday for work, and she is in financial services.

We are still keen to move back and I would think that Salisbury is an area that would be central to places like Bmth, Southampton and even commute to London by train...just a thought! House prices are very expensive though!

Good Luck, I would be very interested to know how you get on!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Lucky you don't drive. Just read that Bournemouth is number three in the top ten worst places for car vandalism in the U.K.

Last edited by Returnee; Nov 25th 2011 at 1:16 am.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Yikes! Don't like the sound of that. Bournemouth may be off the list. Salisbury might be worth a look. I have a sister and niece in Market Harborough. I suppose having a choice of the whole country just makes things too difficult. We will have to narrow it down. I still think South, with good public transport and trains. Hubby drives so not a problem all the time. I like to be within walking distance of shops and cafes but hubby would like land to grow stuff. Where are Phil and Kirsty when you need them?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Lucky you don't drive. Just read that Bournemouth is number three in the top ten worst places for car vandalism in the U.K.
Are you back in Community care then?

Don't forget to take your medication this time
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:25 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't pay any attention to 'returnee', he always posts comments like that!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:06 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bournemouth for 34 years before moving to Aus in 2005, most of my family still live there. There are some great suburbs and some not so great ones - I can recommend Southbourne (where we lived), Westbourne, Talbot Woods, Merrick Park, Tuckton. Also Christchurch, Highcliffe, Mudeford. Most of Poole IMO is not nice appart from Sandbanks which has some of the most expensive real estate anywhere.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you back in Community care then?

Don't forget to take your medication this time
Many community care homes in England now have financial problems and some are closing down. Just saw on the BBC TV news that a 102 year old English lady's care home closed and she has emigrated to New Zealand to join her daughter, who is married to a New Zealander.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Returnee
Many community care homes in England now have financial problems and some are closing down. Just saw on the BBC TV news that a 102 year old English lady's care home closed and she has emigrated to New Zealand to join her daughter, who is married to a New Zealander.
I've got some rope I'll mail you free if you send me your address...
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

I have sent you an email.

I have lived in Bournemouth for 35 years, and have been back for a year since trying South Australia as a pleace to live.

Johnnyyt
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't open your email but my work one is funny and blocks lots of simple stuff!

My husband has dug in his heals and really can't face moving back to the UK. I think it's the high unemployment and all the bad things we hear about it on the news over in Australia. Plus the thought of packing up everything again and flying our dog over. It all seems too hard unless we are both certain we want this.

It's still a possibility, but not for the near future I'm afraid.

How long were you in South Australia and how have you found the move back? Better or worse?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't open your email but my work one is funny and blocks lots of simple stuff!

My husband has dug in his heals and really can't face moving back to the UK. I think it's the high unemployment and all the bad things we hear about it on the news over in Australia. Plus the thought of packing up everything again and flying our dog over. It all seems too hard unless we are both certain we want this.

It's still a possibility, but not for the near future I'm afraid.

How long were you in South Australia and how have you found the move back? Better or worse?
We only managed 5 months after having the intention to make the big move a long term one but like many others we were have returned, too long a story to go into it now.

We are back to what we know, our son is back into his school after a big struggle to get him there, and I am a contractor doing what I used to be employed full time. Better or worse - who knows what may have happened but we are where it is best for us for now, mabey for ever. Don't regret having a go and diferent circumstances etc etc may have led to different situations but we are happy and together.

On the whole we found Aus to be much more expensive and the lower exchange rate had a real impact. We liked many things and some not so much , and some not at all but we think if we were to go back SA may not be the right state for us.

I will send you a pm with my email address.

Johnnyyt
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Bournemouth last week for the first time in twenty years and I have to say I was a bit disappointed...
I remember it being the hip place to go with lots of boutiques and cafes and clubs. This was in the early 90's mind you.
Last week it seemed a bit well...scruffy and provincial. All the trendy little shops and cafes I remember had gone.
I go to Brighton quite a bit and that town is still very buzzy and continental feeling. Bournemouth sadly was a bit well...blah.
But I walked along the pier, wonderful views.
I guess it all depends on what you want out of life, Bournemouth is a beautiful retirement place and I have fond memories of it's trendy heyday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.