Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is American radio so bad?

Why is American radio so bad?

Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is American radio so bad?

I listen to BBC radio via computer and I never fail to wonder why some enterprising person hasn't created radio drama, etc. that would appeal to the US audience? US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
Before computers were popular (in the cold, dark days of the 70s and 80s) I would listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR. For 2 hours every Saturday night I would be transported to a place and time populated by Norwegian bachelor farmers and wonder why Garrison Keillor didn't buy his own radio station and play that stuff 24 hours a day.
Luckily I can now listen to Radio 4 in real time. My American friends who have been introduced to BBC radio are amazed and instantly hooked. THEY wonder why their radio is crap. My librarian friend listens to Radio4 at work and can't believe how good it is.

So, why does good American radio continue to be virtually non-existent
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:50 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is American radio so bad?

It just is.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

stop messing about and get Sirius
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

stop messing about and get Sirius
Agree absolutely. It beats terrestrial radio hands down.

But, it seems the OP is on the lookout for Radio 4 style drama, the sort of Radio equivalent of Masterpiece theatre, which Sirius doesn't touch. That's what you get for not having a licence fee....
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:05 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I listen to BBC radio via computer and I never fail to wonder why some enterprising person hasn't created radio drama, etc. that would appeal to the US audience? US radio comedy seemed to be popular in the days before TV but fizzled after visual entertainment took hold.
Before computers were popular (in the cold, dark days of the 70s and 80s) I would listen to "A Prairie Home Companion" on NPR. For 2 hours every Saturday night I would be transported to a place and time populated by Norwegian bachelor farmers and wonder why Garrison Keillor didn't buy his own radio station and play that stuff 24 hours a day.
Luckily I can now listen to Radio 4 in real time. My American friends who have been introduced to BBC radio are amazed and instantly hooked. THEY wonder why their radio is crap. My librarian friend listens to Radio4 at work and can't believe how good it is.

So, why does good American radio continue to be virtually non-existent
I agree with you, I am still listing to various Irish radio stations. I have set up my computer to automatically 'tape' shows from the live Internet streams, as some of them are on at inconvenience times.
Then I can listen to the recorded MP3's as and when I get the time.

My gut feeling is that Radio stations in general here are funded by commercial means, eg. advertising. where as BBC4 is funded by the taxpayer. That can give the station more scope to create good content as it does not need to be concentrating on advertisement revenues. I have tried to listen to the radio here but I find its very commercial driven, and difficult to listen to at times.

I think the same thing can be said about TV. One thing I really miss living here is British TV. The BBC sets the level of programming, and is funded by tax payers, so that means that the commercial TV stations in the UK have to compete as best they can with the standard of the BBC. Over here it is amazing the stuff that gets out on the air. Of course for every 10 TV shows there are some very good ones. I think usually the ones with good funding are better, and these are the ones that make it to the UK in the end. From living here It amazes me how many tv shows there are that I had never even heard of. After watching an episode or two I realise why. ;-)
Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Another possible reason why US radio is so bad is that one company dominates the local radio station market, Clear Channel. It's hard for newcomers to break into the market and having one company responsible for the editorial content is questionable IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_C...Communications
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:02 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

... because of Clear Channel
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:15 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Another possible reason why US radio is so bad is that one company dominates the local radio station market, Clear Channel. It's hard for newcomers to break into the market and having one company responsible for the editorial content is questionable IMO.

so thats why the stations sound the same no matter where you are in the US? makes sense to me.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964

Thanks for that, I had no idea why 'Rick and Bubba' and the like were so common. I listen to NPR in the mornings on the way to school, it's not too bad.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

From the Wikipedia article, could someone explain what this means:

"Other controversies have included changing many syndicated shows, most notably The Rush Limbaugh Show, from syndication to "network" status by flipping from well-known stronger news-talk stations to much weaker stations which are owned by Clear Channel, thereby making the show a "network" show instead of being syndicated."

What's the difference between syndication and network status?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:36 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your local public radio station(s), they carry some radio dramas (mostly oldies). But even those are getting fewer and fewer because individual programs are funded by the listeners, grants/foundations, and a few government dollars. There is not a market for it so commercial radio doesn't want it....they can't sell advertising during the time slot because not enough people will listen to it.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:11 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought that they should air fewer ads, but charge more for them.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:32 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Elitist.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:59 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Elitist.
Why, are you having trouble finding your Right Size Smoothies?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Define good and then others may be able to give you pointers where to find such audio entertainment.

For me, I listen to NPR and local college stations. I don't like commercial radio stations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.