Australian moving to England

Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:07 am
Just Joined

mudskipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian moving to England

I am a 22 year old from Melbourne. I went to England last year to visit family(in London and Fleet, Hampshire). And also this January. When I was there this year I totally loved the place, but still I thought 'it is only a holiday' . Now after coming back Ive decided I can not be happy back here atm . Its like some kind of power, destiny is pushing me to go to England.

So I am going to go in the next month or 2. Most probably to Fleet, or around that area... Guildford, Aldershot, Farnborough, maybe Slough or Reading.

I feel so comfortable here, living at home. But I can not forget England, so I have to go... even that I know that I will have to do any job(I am hoping to be a plumbers labourer, or for a plasterer or roofer... or Hotel porter, hopefully) and live anywhere(ummm max 70quid pw house share, lol).

Any recommendations???

PS: oh, its all fallen into place for me, because of my family I have a EU passport, so there is no problemos for me being in england and working...
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australian moving to England

Originally Posted by mudskipper
I am a 22 year old from Melbourne. I went to England last year to visit family(in London and Fleet, Hampshire). And also this January. When I was there this year I totally loved the place, but still I thought 'it is only a holiday' . Now after coming back Ive decided I can not be happy back here atm . Its like some kind of power, destiny is pushing me to go to England.

So I am going to go in the next month or 2. Most probably to Fleet, or around that area... Guildford, Aldershot, Farnborough, maybe Slough or Reading.

I feel so comfortable here, living at home. But I can not forget England, so I have to go... even that I know that I will have to do any job(I am hoping to be a plumbers labourer, or for a plasterer or roofer... or Hotel porter, hopefully) and live anywhere(ummm max 70quid pw house share, lol).

Any recommendations???

PS: oh, its all fallen into place for me, because of my family I have a EU passport, so there is no problemos for me being in england and working...
yes,give it a go and join the many thousand of aussies that dont wish to come back to their homeland once they have experienced the social life and culture .Anyway you can always come back so wheres the harm .Good luck to you in pommie land .
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:25 am
Just Joined

geordiekiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say go for it, like the pp said you wont be alone, and its a good idea to get out of London too. I lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years and loved it, but I much prefer it now (I live in Newcastle) when there arnt nearly as many travellers around and you get a much better experience of life here.

I met my fiance here and, although we're moving back home (I'm from NZ) because we've got a toddler now, I couldnt recommend the place enough. You'll love it. Just go with the flow, and remember your on their turf now so they get first dibs on insults!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:25 am
Just Joined

mudskipper is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah... I just realised.... IVE GOT NOTHING 2 LOSE. I mean... I dont have a job here that I will lose, im not a house owner.... hell why was I even thinking about not going.

Thanks to reading the forum I am now more eager to go, I mean some people have to sell houses, have wives/husbands that will probably winge, and... kids...

mmmm looks like it does not totally suck 2 be me . LOL
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:30 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

yeah... I just realised.... IVE GOT NOTHING 2 LOSE. I mean... I dont have a job here that I will lose, im not a house owner.... hell why was I even thinking about not going.

Thanks to reading the forum I am now more eager to go, I mean some people have to sell houses, have wives/husbands that will probably winge, and... kids...

mmmm looks like it does not totally suck 2 be me . LOL
just bambozzzle all the poms with bull you got snakes and kangaroos in the back garden and they will listen in awe and play the wild colonial boy from rough tough outback aussie who wrestles crocs for a hobby and the english sheilas will be melting at your feet ,have fun and enjoy it youll have no regrets .
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Get it out of your system - there are few better places than London when you are in your 20s.

When you get to your 30s, you've been around Europe a few times, your liver is a shadow of its former self, you're sick of smoky pubs, you've finally had enough cheap charlie & you've managed to save a bit of cash & are looking to settle down maybe with kids, thats when Oz becomes more & more attractive.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Get it out of your system - there are few better places than London when you are in your 20s.

When you get to your 30s, you've been around Europe a few times, your liver is a shadow of its former self, you're sick of smoky pubs, you've finally had enough cheap charlie & you've managed to save a bit of cash & are looking to settle down maybe with kids, thats when Oz becomes more & more attractive.
in otherwords retire
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australian moving to England

Any recommendations???
Loads of advice on jobs & accommodation, Aussie sports, social events, travel and message boards can be found on the TNT website aimed at Commonwealth citizens temporarily living and working in the UK and Down Under (although it is mainly biased towards the London area on the UK site):

http://www.tntmagazine.com

Have fun!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=mudskipper]I am a 22 year old from Melbourne. I went to England last year to visit family(in London and Fleet, Hampshire). And also this January.........

What a fantastic adventure it would be for you and who knows you may want to stay for good.
Good on you for wanting to give it a go.
I wish you all the very best. Good Luck.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Sooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the roughSooty is a jewel in the rough

Any recommendations???

You'll probably settle in quickly if you get your own place. Given what you've said, if I were you I'd go to far-west London. That way you'll have excellent public transport, be near your relatives, and probably have a better chance of finding work than in the towns you mentioned. If you're on your own you should be able to find decent digs for 70 quid. It'll just be a room and you'll be sharing the kitchen and bath, but you can upgrade later. I've got lucky a couple of times and got a cooker and my own shower/toilet for around 80-90 ppw.