Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky Tv In Spain

Sky Tv In Spain

Old Feb 18th 2005, 6:07 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sky Tv In Spain

We are being told and are reading different info re using Sky boxes in Spain. We have Sky+ here and would like to take that with us. I have seen the normal Sky boxes on sale in Spain, but not Sky+ yet. I know you are not supposed to have Sky boxes in Spain but if you have an address for post to go to in the UK and an English bank account is that then ok?

The other thing is that you have to have Sky linked up to your phone line in this country. Presumably the same would apply in Spain and would Sky know where you were then and if you didn't have it linked to a phone line would they stop your service?

I aint going if I cannot have all my Sky channels (except Sky sports)!!!! - sad isn't it?

Would be grateful for info from anyone living out there who is using the Sky service.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky Tv In Spain

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We are being told and are reading different info re using Sky boxes in Spain. We have Sky+ here and would like to take that with us. I have seen the normal Sky boxes on sale in Spain, but not Sky+ yet. I know you are not supposed to have Sky boxes in Spain but if you have an address for post to go to in the UK and an English bank account is that then ok?

The other thing is that you have to have Sky linked up to your phone line in this country. Presumably the same would apply in Spain and would Sky know where you were then and if you didn't have it linked to a phone line would they stop your service?

I aint going if I cannot have all my Sky channels (except Sky sports)!!!! - sad isn't it?

Would be grateful for info from anyone living out there who is using the Sky service.
Mr SKY says its only for thr UK, but there are as many sky systems out here. I dont think sky+ will work out here.
You dont have to have your phone line in. They only use it in UK to charge you for extras like films, and sport etc.
You will need a bigger dish so dump yours.
There are about 25 adds for sky sevices in the local rag.
I used to have sky but dumped it, cable has nearly all the channels and only 300€ a year.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

You can use your Sky+ here in Spain. You will not of course be able to use your existing dish, but you will need up to a 2.4m with a twin LNB.

We paid about 1000€ for a 1.9m dish to be installed with a twin LNB. I would think a 2.4m would be quite a bit more.

As far as connecting to the phone goes, the contract states only for the first twelve months, after that there is no requirement.

You will as you say, need to be registered at a UK address and pay from a UK based bank account or credit card.

Have a look at this website it will give you more information
http://www.astra2d.co.uk/spain.htm

Derek
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:49 pm
AngloSpawn

logicunity will become famous soon enough

take a look at

www.skycards.net
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:24 am
Just Joined

bugnutuk is an unknown quantity at this point

i use to fit sky systems for bsb you can use sky+ in spain .also you dont need the telephone line connected but yo must retain british banking details . i took an old analouge 80cm dish to holland with a digital lnb and the signal we got was fantastic it is more the quality u need that signal strength
also the satelite position is 28.2 E hope this will help u
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

WHY HAS 300 €, ( 300 euros )

CHANGED TO 300€
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

rogerb will become famous soon enough

If you join the Yahoo group costablancaexpats, Gill, they have IIRC an FAQ on this subject, AND an associated TV chat group, with some 'resident experts' who'd be able to answer ALL your TV-related questions
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

redken is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky tv pay a license fee to the uk government, to broadcast there services in the uk only. It is highly illegal to have a sky card to receive the uk channels in Spain. If you are caught with the card, or you are installing the equipment with a uk sky card. you could be looking at a prison sentence or a very big fine. receiving the uk sky channels in Spain is very illegal this information came from sky tv it self if you would like to verify this information just call sky tv uk.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by redken
Sky tv pay a license fee to the uk government, to broadcast there services in the uk only. It is highly illegal to have a sky card to receive the uk channels in Spain. If you are caught with the card, or you are installing the equipment with a uk sky card. you could be looking at a prison sentence or a very big fine. receiving the uk sky channels in Spain is very illegal this information came from sky tv it self if you would like to verify this information just call sky tv uk.
No need to call Sky this is utter and absolute rubbish.

The use of a Sky card outside of the UK is a breach of the terms and conditions of the user's contract with Sky, nothing more. It is a civil matter and the worst that can happen is that if someone is found out the card can be deactivated and on many occasions if someone lets slip that they are in Spain whilst on the telephone to BSkyB the reaction is along the lines of 'I didn't hear that'.

The reason BskyB have to be seen to be restricting the use of their cards outside of the UK is because of rights issues with the makers of the programmes they broadcast.

If what redken says is true perhaps he could explain why Sky haven't sent the boys round to put in prison the owners of the hundreds of bars on the Costa del Sol that have based their whole livelihood on running so-called 'sports bars' where not one but dozens of domestic viewing cards are used simultaneously and are BskyB also going to imprison several of their own personalities who have holiday properties on the coast with Sky television? I don't think so.

Grow up, redken, (what an appropriate name the other one is a dickhead as well) it's not the first of April until Friday.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Richb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
No need to call Sky this is utter and absolute rubbish.

The use of a Sky card outside of the UK is a breach of the terms and conditions of the user's contract with Sky, nothing more. It is a civil matter and the worst that can happen is that if someone is found out the card can be deactivated and on many occasions if someone lets slip that they are in Spain whilst on the telephone to BSkyB the reaction is along the lines of 'I didn't hear that'.

The reason BskyB have to be seen to be restricting the use of their cards outside of the UK is because of rights issues with the makers of the programmes they broadcast.

If what redken says is true perhaps he could explain why Sky haven't sent the boys round to put in prison the owners of the hundreds of bars on the Costa del Sol that have based their whole livelihood on running so-called 'sports bars' where not one but dozens of domestic viewing cards are used simultaneously and are BskyB also going to imprison several of their own personalities who have holiday properties on the coast with Sky television? I don't think so.

Grow up, redken, (what an appropriate name the other one is a dickhead as well) it's not the first of April until Friday.
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Pops is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies if I am repeating a previous thread but I have a problem with a Sky Digi Box, Panasonic.
All FTA channels are available when I connect it to my UK dish, when I connect to a friends dish on the Costa Del Sol nothing, is there something I should be setting for receiving in Spain?

Pops
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:37 am
Just Joined

digitalsales is an unknown quantity at this point

Using a Sky box in Europe is slightly different we as a company have thousand out there with clients how ever there as some draw backs.

If the Box is a subsidized one and not on a phone line Sky will turn it off. You are better paying a little more or like us sell an ex demo which does not need a phone line connection.

You can if you know what you are doing also pay for your subscriptions on a Spanish, Italian, French in fact almost any credit card every month. And for you who do not have a UK address again it is not a problem. Even adding things like Premiership Plus, NSN, MUTV or any other things like that are no problem. the only draw back is if you want a pay per view movie sporting events are no problem as they are advertised 2 - 3 weeks in advance.

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pops
My apologies if I am repeating a previous thread but I have a problem with a Sky Digi Box, Panasonic.
All FTA channels are available when I connect it to my UK dish, when I connect to a friends dish on the Costa Del Sol nothing, is there something I should be setting for receiving in Spain?
Pops
Whether a Sky digibox works or not does not necessarily depend on it being connected to a telephone line and If you are only using it for FTA channels it doesn't need to be connected to a telephone anyway.

There is nothing specific that you need to do to make a digibox work in Spain but the dish does need to be much bigger and properly aligned.

You don't give the model of the digibox. Some have more sensitive tuners than others. The Panasonic TUDSB 30 is best for fringe areas although it has become less reliable since the last software update. The later Panasonics have less sensitive tuners.

What happens when you plug it in to your friend's dish. Does it start off saying 'searching for listings' then say 'no satellite signal being received' or does it not do anything at all?

If it results in the 'no signal' message try going to channel 101 or pressing the 'channel up' button twice because all digiboxes default to channel 998 when they are first powered up and as it is a fairly weak channel it may not be possible for the digibox to receive it.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

digitalsales is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with Sky is as follows they like all the other broadcasters will not openly admit that they are letting the subscriptions outside there area we as a company stock almost every card you can think of and as a company again have thousands of Sky cards in Europe

www.digitalsales.co.uk

For further information

Originally Posted by Richb
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by digitalsales
The problem with Sky is as follows they like all the other broadcasters will not openly admit that they are letting the subscriptions outside there area we as a company stock almost every card you can think of and as a company again have thousands of Sky cards in Europe

www.digitalsales.co.uk

For further information

Advertise your services on Marketplace only...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.