Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

6 Months Today and going back

6 Months Today and going back

Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 Months Today and going back

Its been six months since we been in BC, and thinking of going back because kids don't like the schools here.Its has been very stressful six months, and come to the decision that we will go back end of school term.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Months Today and going back

Sorry to read that, but if things havent improved I suppose you have to do what you have to do.

Of course, kids being kids they will probably change their mind by then...
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive holiday. Let's hope they like it back in the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point

What didn't they like about the schools, were they older or younger kids?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If I recall from the other tread one is 16. Its a rough age to move a kid and break up those hard earns social contacts. And 16 year olds are professional complainers by and large anyway If what I hear from others is true.

I moved from one end of England to the other at 16 FWIW, and hated my new school. With hindsite there was nothing wrong with it other then the absense of my old friends.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 8th 2012 at 1:46 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point

ah, my eldest is 13yrs, hoping she will settle as she will be starting before high school, and she seems quite keen, if nervous, about the move
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:45 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

That's a real shame. We moved about a lot when my hubby was in the military but the kids just got on with the school moves.They had to. Dad's got a job here so we all go and get on with life!

Not sure if it's easier for teenage girls to settle into life in Canada? I can only imagine how you are feeling as our kids all love it here. Our eldest daughter was 17 when we moved here and luckily she was very keen to come, settled quickly into school and has made lots of friends. She still keeps in regular contact with UK school friends and family over Skype and FB though.

What is your son going to do when you return to the UK? Is he going to return to the school he left to do A'levels as I imagine he will now have lost a year so won't be with his old friends anyway

It must be very hard for you guys right now....but sounds like you have already decided. Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by snowcandy
That's a real shame. We moved about a lot when my hubby was in the military but the kids just got on with the school moves.They had to. Dad's got a job here so we all go and get on with life!
That sounds familiar, even if the military was not involved in my case...
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are 16 and 13, my son wants to do his A levels when we goes back and 13 years old will go back to year 10, it is very hard decision.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:53 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Would you go back to where you moved from or elsewhere? It can take more than a year to settle ANYWHERE. When I moved with work in my younger days it would always take 10-12 months before I felt at home. Good luck with whatever you decide, got to be a hard choice.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:02 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Was your eldest against the idea from the start? It must be very difficult and frustrating for you if he wasn't prepared to give it a go?

What is it he dislikes so much about Canada and is there anything that could make or have made it better? Might be useful for others coming out with kids of a similar age
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

6 months and because a kid doesn't like the school???? Are you kidding?

Hopefully you have a better reason than that.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
6 months and because a kid doesn't like the school???? Are you kidding?

Hopefully you have a better reason than that.
Why do they have to have a better reason than their son to be happy. Some people do take their children's feeling into consideration as well.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Why do they have to have a better reason than their son to be happy. Some people do take their children's feeling into consideration as well.

Of course. But it's obvious BEFORE you leave a country to settle a new one that children are going to have difficulty and a painful readjustment period. That's par for the course. But 6 months is not long enough to settle into a new country. 16yrs is an awkward age anyway and most teenagers want their own way. I'm not suggesting that this is the case in this situation but that isn't long enough a period to have given settling into a new country a proper chance of success. So I hope there are other reasons of more substance so that later down the line the parents wont regret their decision to pull out before giving it a proper chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.