Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineer in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia

Civil Engineer in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia

Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

OneBrightStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Civil Engineer in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia

Hi

I have read other threads but my case is slightly different and also didnt want to hijack anyone's else thread.

I am currently working in the UK and have been offered a position in Riyadh. Office location is a couple km away from the city centre.

Salary is approximately KSA 30,000/month inclusive of everything. Havent got a clue about the annual leave or flights at the moment as we are at initial discussions.

I am married and have a small baby. Does the above offer sound reasonable? They said either you take less salary and then 25% of salary would be housing allowance or take the whole package as a salary whatever you prefer. Visa etc will be sorted out by them and salary would be tax free.

Just thought would get your thoughts on the package and is it any better than earning 40k gross in the UK? What are the other things which I should ask for or look for? Obviously I want to have a bigger salary and make some savings otherwise no point going and living there.

Thanks
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Engineer in Riyadh - Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by OneBrightStar
Hi

I have read other threads but my case is slightly different and also didnt want to hijack anyone's else thread.

I am currently working in the UK and have been offered a position in Riyadh. Office location is a couple km away from the city centre.

Salary is approximately KSA 30,000/month inclusive of everything. Havent got a clue about the annual leave or flights at the moment as we are at initial discussions.

I am married and have a small baby. Does the above offer sound reasonable? They said either you take less salary and then 25% of salary would be housing allowance or take the whole package as a salary whatever you prefer. Visa etc will be sorted out by them and salary would be tax free.

Just thought would get your thoughts on the package and is it any better than earning 40k gross in the UK? What are the other things which I should ask for or look for? Obviously I want to have a bigger salary and make some savings otherwise no point going and living there.

Thanks
Doesn't sound enough to me. In fact, it looks very low - I wouldn't take that in Dubai let alone in Saudi.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:41 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
You need to find out how much you need to spend out of your salary on your accommodation, and that means (with a wife and young child) accommodation that is in a compound, rather than a flat where your wife is stuck inside all day until you come home to chauffeur her around. She will go mental unless she has freedom to move.

Deduct that from your monthly salary, and then re-assess.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

This is going to sound stupid but I am going to ask it anyway. When you say your salary is inclusive of everything else such as accommodation, are you saying your Sar30k per month has to cover your accommodation, is the value after you add in the money for accommodation or are you getting accommodation in addition?

That obviously makes a big difference to the amount left over after living over here.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

OneBrightStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers guys, it doesnt sound like a good deal at all and mrs is not really happy with staying inside all day until I come back. I'll be working long hours anyway so dont think will have any energy left by the time I get back home.

Yes SAR 30k/month is the total package and according to them, do whatever you want to do with the money as they wont be paying anything but the salary.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys, it doesnt sound like a good deal at all and mrs is not really happy with staying inside all day until I come back. I'll be working long hours anyway so dont think will have any energy left by the time I get back home.

Yes SAR 30k/month is the total package and according to them, do whatever you want to do with the money as they wont be paying anything but the salary.
Best thing to do is thank them however you think appropriate, and decline their offer.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:35 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

walk away
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello BrightStar

Read your thread with interest earlier. I work within finance and was also offered a role in Riyadh earlier this year. The package was SAR 34k per month all inclusive.

The comparator for me was a shaky job in London paying £75k gross p.a.
I chose to stay in London - but often think if I made the right decision. I am working at a commodities trading house and my position is at risk.

I guess the key factor is if the prospects in your civil engineering field are better in Saudi when compared to UK. I know many engineering firms in Riyadh are busy on the King Abdullah financial district.

Just as with my offer though, the package is on the low side to contemplate living in Saudi Arabia.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:09 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Guys, 30-34kSAR per month is crap, trust me. A single guy can survive but with a family, forget it. I am on double that plus bonus and still I am wondering if this is worth it. A proper compound house, a car and two kids in primary school will consume your entire annual income if you're on 30kSAR per month. And that is without (badly needed) holidays, shopping sprees (badly needed for your old lady), groceries (London prices easily if you shop in decent chains) etc.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:22 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it mate, SAR30k/m is derisory and you'll end up back in the UK with a large Tax/ NI bill to pay, in quick order. The salary needs to start with a 5, preferably with the company paying for a compound villa on top.

With a family in tow, why not look to Qatar? The place is embarking on one of the biggest investment programmes on the planet, so plenty opportunities for a CE. Far more liberal and your wife and kid can get out and about in the car, whilst you graft. Chose your company wisely though, the sponsorship issue makes it difficuly (or impossible) to change.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Don't do it mate, SAR30k/m is derisory and you'll end up back in the UK with a large Tax/ NI bill to pay, in quick order. The salary needs to start with a 5, preferably with the company paying for a compound villa on top.

With a family in tow, why not look to Qatar? The place is embarking on one of the biggest investment programmes on the planet, so plenty opportunities for a CE. Far more liberal and your wife and kid can get out and about in the car, whilst you graft. Chose your company wisely though, the sponsorship issue makes it difficuly (or impossible) to change.
Start with a 5?

You live in a dream world pal. a Civil Engineering position starting at 50,000 a month PLUS compound villa on top? Jesus wept.

OP; Look away from KSA, look at things that have a package value greater than the offer you have where they include or give allowances on top of something like 25-35,000 a month.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Start with a 5?

You live in a dream world pal. a Civil Engineering position starting at 50,000 a month PLUS compound villa on top? Jesus wept.

OP; Look away from KSA, look at things that have a package value greater than the offer you have where they include or give allowances on top of something like 25-35,000 a month.

Bang on the money , 50,000 + add on's fu** me some people are in dreamland .

Talk about pricing yourself put of a job !
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:33 pm
womble

the salary itself is ok (start with a 5 only happens for 25-30yr exp snr managers in O&G), but... that then assumes you get an allowance for housing, flights, school etc. start with a 5 would work if it is an all inclusive salary and your kids were in primary.