Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview appointment but still no SSN/EAD

Originally Posted by pattschn
Hey
I got my EAD today Now i can get my SSN, is that right? How long does that take and how long does it take to get an ID? Because I am not sure if i want to get all that before or after my interview in 2 weeks.
If your AOS interview is only 2 weeks away, I'd wait until you actually get your green card to get you SS card. That way you can get one without the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" legend on it.

After applying for your SS card, it takes about 2 weeks to come in the mail.

As for other ID, you mean State ID? You can get that based on your EAD, which will be valid for 1 year, or again you can wait until you have your green card, and the ID will be valid for 2 years (if you get a conditional green card).

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

kthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of lightkthx is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your AOS interview is only 2 weeks away, I'd wait until you actually get your green card to get you SS card. That way you can get one without the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" legend on it.

After applying for your SS card, it takes about 2 weeks to come in the mail.

As for other ID, you mean State ID? You can get that based on your EAD, which will be valid for 1 year, or again you can wait until you have your green card, and the ID will be valid for 2 years (if you get a conditional green card).

Rene
Btw, in Texas whenever I got my drivers license with conditional green card they gave it to me for the full duration (6 or 7 years). He said they treat 2yr green card as permanent one.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

pattschn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for ur answers !! I think I am going to wait until I have my GC (yes, I meant State ID @ Noorah). Is there a timeline how long it takes to receive the GC in mail?
Another thing that is on my mind: is the GC an actual CARD or do they put something like a VISA in my passport (my brother had a student visa in his passport)? Im just wondering because my german passport expires next year and if I want to visit my parents I have to get a new passport by april.

Thanks for ur help, this forum is amazing and so helpful !!!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:41 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for ur answers !! I think I am going to wait until I have my GC (yes, I meant State ID @ Noorah). Is there a timeline how long it takes to receive the GC in mail?
Another thing that is on my mind: is the GC an actual CARD or do they put something like a VISA in my passport (my brother had a student visa in his passport)? Im just wondering because my german passport expires next year and if I want to visit my parents I have to get a new passport by april.

Thanks for ur help, this forum is amazing and so helpful !!!
No real timeline for receiving it, but as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's around 2 weeks.

And the GC is actually a card. You should carry it with you at all times.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Oh ok, i didnt remember that post, thank u

Thats good to know!! Thanks again for ur quick respond
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

I had my interview this morning and got approved for my greencard Thanks to all of you, you guys were a big, big help for me !!!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview this morning and got approved for my greencard Thanks to all of you, you guys were a big, big help for me !!!
Super! Wonderful news!

Ian
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Actually it was pretty short, maybe 10-15 minutes. The officer just asked simple questions like: when did you meet? where did you meet? when was the first time you came to the united states? Have your husband been to germany? While we were answering he was looking through my documents and looked through the passports to check the dates I told him. Then he wanted to see pictures and made copys of our photobook and the documents he needed. That was pretty much it, he was small-talking with my husband about german girls and about the IS. I felt like he was the one having an interview