Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The trip we all dread the most!

The trip we all dread the most!

Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default The trip we all dread the most!

Hi guys, I've not been posting much lately and not really been looking in that often, Debbie on the other hand has been around offering help and advice.

We've just got back from Christchurch airport (that is the children and I) Debbie is on her way back to England, sadly her mother past away on Thursday, she had had a massive stroke on the Friday before and had been unconcious ever since. No one could say if she would regain conciousness or even how long she was likely to ramain unconsious. Its been a real mental battle to know what to do, she wanted to be there for her mother and her brothers but didn't want to leave us behind is Timaru, but also felt she needed to be in contact as not wanting to be on a plane and miss the messages being sent to us.

It was totally unexpected, she was only 64, Debbie chatted with every Saturday morning using the web cam and never would have guessed what was about to happen. She did manage to come here for 3 weeks in January so at least she did get to see the place we now call home. So we can be grateful for this and she got to spend some time with the grandchildren and to see how happy and settled they are. We as I'm sure most of you did felt quite a lot of guilt for taking their grandchildren away from them when they had only just got them

Please think of Debbie on the hardest journey she'll ever have to make from New Zealand.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default The trip we all dread the most!

Gosh, I am so sorry to read this.

My sincerest sympathies and condolences to you all.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The trip we all dread the most!

Hi Nigel,

So sorry to hear your news, our thoughts are with you all.

Lee & Vicki
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:28 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read your sad news. Our thoughts are with you all

Kev & Sarah
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
Hi guys, I've not been posting much lately and not really been looking in that often, Debbie on the other hand has been around offering help and advice.

We've just got back from Christchurch airport (that is the children and I) Debbie is on her way back to England, sadly her mother past away on Thursday, she had had a massive stroke on the Friday before and had been unconcious ever since. No one could say if she would regain conciousness or even how long she was likely to ramain unconsious. Its been a real mental battle to know what to do, she wanted to be there for her mother and her brothers but didn't want to leave us behind is Timaru, but also felt she needed to be in contact as not wanting to be on a plane and miss the messages being sent to us.

It was totally unexpected, she was only 64, Debbie chatted with every Saturday morning using the web cam and never would have guessed what was about to happen. She did manage to come here for 3 weeks in January so at least she did get to see the place we now call home. So we can be grateful for this and she got to spend some time with the grandchildren and to see how happy and settled they are. We as I'm sure most of you did felt quite a lot of guilt for taking their grandchildren away from them when they had only just got them

Please think of Debbie on the hardest journey she'll ever have to make from New Zealand.
First of all our deepest condolences on your loss. I lost my own mum in the exact same way so I can feel for Debbie. Of course I did not have to fly half way around the world and by myself. When you get to speak to Debbie please tell her not to feel guilty for not being there. I was only 35 mins away and even that was not enough time for me to get to her.

We will be thinking of you all.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:45 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nukiwi
First of all our deepest condolences on your loss. I lost my own mum in the exact same way so I can feel for Debbie. Of course I did not have to fly half way around the world and by myself. When you get to speak to Debbie please tell her not to feel guilty for not being there. I was only 35 mins away and even that was not enough time for me to get to her.

We will be thinking of you all.
yep me too lost my dad the same way in 1990 and I was only 30 mins away

sorry to hear that and deep condolences xxxx

my mum is still alive 84...and maybe something is bound to happen to her one day and im so far away... I feel for you
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your sad news,sending all of you best wishes. This is the one thing that I keep thinking about as the main thing for not going to NZ but as others have said,you can be so close but still unable to do anything to prevent this happening. Safe journey to Debbie.

Phyllis and family x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:43 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, that's just so sad for you all. Thinking of you and wishing Debbie safe travels. xx
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences. That's gonna be a really long and sad journey for Debbie. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

I too lost my father in May the very same way, he was 66, it is a shock and very very upsetting, it doens't matter where in the world you are you will never be prepared for it.

My heart and feelings go out to Debbie, think of the good times think of the way she was, my thoughts are with you.

x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you all.

My Dad died the same way Jan last year but my Mum made it quite clear that she wanted us to carry on with our plans to move to NZ. It will be a huge wrench but sometimes you have to put yourselves first.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very hard time for everyone including yourself and your children.
It is a very long lonely journey on the plane when something like this happens and you sit there with just you and your thoughts.

My heart goes out to you all at this very sad time and as people have said something like a stroke or heart attack happens very quickly and it doesnt matter where you are sometimes you just can't be there.in time.
All the best
Cally xx

Last edited by cally49; Oct 26th 2008 at 6:23 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

so sorry to here your sad news,cant even pretend to know how bad you all must be feeling..thinking of you all....Jacky
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

I know how Debbie is feeling. My Mother became ill after we had booked a holiday going away with my daughter and family. The Doctors advised us to go on the holiday because we would have a lot to cope with on our return. They felt it was going to be a long illness (cancer) She said go on your holiday and enjoy yourselves. Sadly she died 2 days after we left for Tenerife and it took 2 days for us to get a flight back. So please do not blame yourselves, I know you are on the other side of the world but no one can predict what is going to happen so even if you had not emigrated you may not have been there at the time as we weren't. As you say she did see you settled and how happy her grandchildren are.

My son in laws Mother died in January and he had to make the same sad journey as your wife but he felt all the better seeing his brothers & sisters etc who were going through the same pain.

My thoughts are with you.

June

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Oct 26th 2008 at 7:11 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:00 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Many many sympathies. I quite agree with the title of the thread - 2 sets of parents still in Blighty and one day we'll be making the same decisions and journeys.
My thoughts with you all.
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.