Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mosquito bite relief

Mosquito bite relief

Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Mosquito bite relief

I thought i was doing well this year in terms of bites, late afternoon saturday i got some serious bites on my ankles.

It is now Tuesday afternoon & the swelling has just started to go down

If anyone suffers badly like i do the link below might be of some use

http://tipnut.com/over-40-mosquito-b...h-relief-tips/

NG x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquito bite relief

I still rely on "Anthisan" cream..the relies bring it over when they come to visit. Cant seem to get it here.

I suppose something like the "benadryl" cream would do much the same thing (antihistamine).
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I still rely on "Anthisan" cream..the relies bring it over when they come to visit. Cant seem to get it here.

I suppose something like the "benadryl" cream would do much the same thing (antihistamine).
Totally agree if you can get hold of it.

I have been taking Benadryl tablets, i found some Hydrocortisone cream 1% which over here you need a prescription for. In Canada you can only buy .5% over the counter.

To be honest, little reduced the swelling & i didn't want to see the doctor so i tried the Baking Soda. To my surprise it reduced the redness & some itching after having applied it for 30 minutes. Even some of the swelling went down?

What a nightmare

NG x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a few bad reactions to some bites and then others just the irritation of itching... Please tell me it gets easier
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

athena88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NovaGirl
I thought i was doing well this year in terms of bites, late afternoon saturday i got some serious bites on my ankles.

It is now Tuesday afternoon & the swelling has just started to go down

If anyone suffers badly like i do the link below might be of some use

http://tipnut.com/over-40-mosquito-b...h-relief-tips/

NG x
try aroma therapy oils they are much better for the skin. A few drops of lavender, camomile and if it's a bit infected tea tree mixed in a base oil like sweet almond, olive or sunflower oil will do. try a little to begin with to make sure your not sensitive.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Please tell me it gets easier
I can only speak for myself, but I dont react now nearly as badly as when I first arrived. Takes a few years though

I do still get the odd one that's so itchy I have to do something about it.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
I can only speak for myself, but I dont react now nearly as badly as when I first arrived. Takes a few years though

I do still get the odd one that's so itchy I have to do something about it.

OMG! A few years

Maybe i should take up drinking once i am fully fighting fit, at least that way i won't feel anything

NG x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by athena88
try aroma therapy oils they are much better for the skin. A few drops of lavender, camomile and if it's a bit infected tea tree mixed in a base oil like sweet almond, olive or sunflower oil will do. try a little to begin with to make sure your not sensitive.

Thank you for that, I think Aroma therapy oils are something i need to try at some point
xx
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I react to some bites, to the point of not being able to walk because ankle has gone football size... nothing but loratidine makes any difference (benadryl works too but I don't always want that drunk feeling) so if I notice a bite I pop a loratidine asap just in case. Superstore seems to be the best price of them, can't remember but it's something like 72 tabs for less than what you'd pay for 6 brand-name Claritin tabs in a proper drugstore
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I react to some bites, to the point of not being able to walk because ankle has gone football size... nothing but loratidine makes any difference (benadryl works too but I don't always want that drunk feeling) so if I notice a bite I pop a loratidine asap just in case. Superstore seems to be the best price of them, can't remember but it's something like 72 tabs for less than what you'd pay for 6 brand-name Claritin tabs in a proper drugstore

OH has the same problem with Benadryl, i on the other hand can take the full 8 in 24 hours & feel fine.

I have tried Claritin with little joy, i just don't want to take so many tablets if i can help it.

I did worry a bit yesterday as this is the first time i have had difficulty walking.

NG x
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

When I had an infected bite on my ankle, the pharmacist told me to apply Polysporin antibiotic cream. I had been applying Benadryl cream but was told it should not be applied to visibly broken or infected skin usually caused by scratching.......pain, pleasure, pain, pleasure syndrome.............

I was also told to dilute some Epsom salts in warm water and use a cotton pad to bathe the area.

Personally, I now carry an Afterbite pen to apply ASAP. Hopefully it will take away the itch so no further damage is done by scratching

Oh, the joys of summer
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

I guess I have just been here to long, as mosiquitos don't seem to bother me.....but on Saturday night I was sitting outside and all the back of my legs were lots of tiny bites...and were they ever itchy....noseeums! I thought I would go nuts scratching! I put an ice cube on them just for some relief and they were gone the next day! Thank goodness. An gal I met from UK used to shower in lemon grass oil, aroma therapy oils put on a sponge and she was the only one not getting bitten..I think the bugs don't like the smell or scent of it. Perhaps we should try some lavender oils, rubbed all over the the exposed areas! I also hate deer flies they are the worst!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:30 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that really does work for the itch - but unfortunately you end up smelling like fish 'n chips - is vinegar. Just dab the bites, works like a charm.

I have to agree that my first few years here were the worst, and now I don't react as badly. However, this year is really bad so far for mossies and I've been bitten quite a lot.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby just covered in marks on his arms where he scratched, me some bites are ok, some just have a slight itch and then I get the big all out ones with swelling, pain, redness and nothing seems to ease them and that is after I put the cream on as soon as bitten. Have had a very swollen hand and eye (couldn't see out of it for most of the day) today it is my elbow and the heat coming off it is hotter than the temp which is hot. May try some of the stuff mentioned
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:40 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

i bought some aloe vera after sun gel for a bit of sunburn a few weeks ago. Last week, when I had heaps of bites, couldn't find any of the anti-itch creams so lobbed some of it on the bites - worked a treat, really took the heat and itch out of them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.