Vaccinations.........again!!

Old Dec 4th 2002, 8:59 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vaccinations.........again!!

Hello!!! S'me again!

Can anyone please clarify a few things for me, as my GP and the staff there don't explain things properly, even after I've asked them several times.

After getting Lord knows what when I asked for my vaccination records to be written on a seperate sheet from my other medical stuff, I spoke to the other nurse, and she said she'd do another one with only my jabs on letterheaded paper. I know a lot of you said this isn't necessary, but it's really for my own peace of mind.

I told the nurse that I'd need to be up to date on Tetanus and Diptheria, Rubella, Mumps and Measles. Now, I saw on my records that I'd had a seperate Diptheria jab when I was one but no Mumps or Measles jabs. On the sheet I have in front of me, there are 3 booster Tetanus, last one was 1998, the Polio vaccine, 1990, and I think my Rubella was in 1990. I asked the nurse about getting Measles and Mumps, and she just said that's in with the Rubella, and she didn't know "how I was going to get around that" ????? (What's that all about?) And I also asked her if my Diptheria would've been in with my last Tetanus, and she didn't answer that at all.

Can anyone out there answer the things she had "great difficulty" answering?
1: How do I get the MMR if I've already had the R, but not the MM?

2: Do I need another Diptheria jab, or is that included in the last Tetanus?

Thanks so much in advance for any words of wisdom.
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

lil_tone76 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vaccinations.........again!!

According to my doctor, even though I am immune to rubella, she still prescribed MMR for me. I got a TD booster as well. As far as Varicella was concerned, she didn't want to give me any shot before doing a titre to verify whether or not I was immune. I don't know if this info helps but I think the best bet would be to go to your family doctor and ask all those questions. Nurses do not necessarily have all those answers either.

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hello!!! S'me again!

Can anyone please clarify a few things for me, as my GP and the staff there don't explain things properly, even after I've asked them several times.

After getting Lord knows what when I asked for my vaccination records to be written on a seperate sheet from my other medical stuff, I spoke to the other nurse, and she said she'd do another one with only my jabs on letterheaded paper. I know a lot of you said this isn't necessary, but it's really for my own peace of mind.

I told the nurse that I'd need to be up to date on Tetanus and Diptheria, Rubella, Mumps and Measles. Now, I saw on my records that I'd had a seperate Diptheria jab when I was one but no Mumps or Measles jabs. On the sheet I have in front of me, there are 3 booster Tetanus, last one was 1998, the Polio vaccine, 1990, and I think my Rubella was in 1990. I asked the nurse about getting Measles and Mumps, and she just said that's in with the Rubella, and she didn't know "how I was going to get around that" ????? (What's that all about?) And I also asked her if my Diptheria would've been in with my last Tetanus, and she didn't answer that at all.

Can anyone out there answer the things she had "great difficulty" answering?
1: How do I get the MMR if I've already had the R, but not the MM?

2: Do I need another Diptheria jab, or is that included in the last Tetanus?

Thanks so much in advance for any words of wisdom.
Kate. xxxxxxx
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:15 pm
Shannon

I was in a similar situation. I had had mumps but not the MR. It is possible to get the measles vaccine separately but it takes months and months. Instead, I was just vaccinated again with all three. I had a vaccine reaction (fever for 24 hours) which the doctor said could be due to my reaction to the vacicne when I already had active immunity.

Anyhow, I was fine after that!

Shannon

Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe they make ya'll get all these boosters. I have lived in the US all my life and I never had to get all these booster shots! Hell, I just had a Tetanus shot last summer and I hadn't had one in about 25 years. The only reason I got it then was my neighbor's dog bit me and I had to. Ahhhhh, what people do for love!!! LOL

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by Scout
I can't believe they make ya'll get all these boosters. I have lived in the US all my life and I never had to get all these booster shots! Hell, I just had a Tetanus shot last summer and I hadn't had one in about 25 years. The only reason I got it then was my neighbor's dog bit me and I had to. Ahhhhh, what people do for love!!! LOL

Cheers,

Leslie
I have extreme difficulty in standing up, apparently!!!! I've had so many accidents in the last 27 years, I'm surprised anything I drink doesn't leak out from all the Tetanus jabs!!!! Thanks for the replies, peeps!
Kate, the human pin cushion (LOL)!!!!xx
Old Dec 5th 2002, 11:46 am
Scarlett

>1: How do I get the MMR if I've already had the R, but not the MM?

just tell them you have to have it - show them a print out from the embassy
website if necessary. i had had R but couldn't get the two Ms separately so had
to have MMR even though it meant i'd had rubella twice. wasn't a big deal. the
nurse told me there was no other way to do it.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Dec 5th 2002, 1:29 pm
Squire

In article , lil_tone76
writes
    > As far as Varicella
    >was concerned, she didn't want to give me any shot before doing a
    >titre to verify whether or not I was immune.

Varicella - NOT available in the United Kingdom; therefore, not required

--
squire
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Dec 5th 2002, 6:36 pm
Jacqueline Bergstedt

To set your mind at ease, you don't need all those vaccinations done before
your interview. If your vaccinations are incomplete, the Doc will tell you
to have it done , but it will not stop you getting your visa. You will need
them eventually - you can even have them done after you arrive in the US, or
if you dont want to pay, then do them on the NHS before you leave. Or the
Doc will do them there and then for you, but it is expensive. There is a
deadline but I cant remember what it is. The Doc will know, Im sure.

Regards, Jacqueline
Scarlett wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >1: How do I get the MMR if I've already had the R, but not the MM?
    > just tell them you have to have it - show them a print out from the
embassy
    > website if necessary. i had had R but couldn't get the two Ms separately
so had
    > to have MMR even though it meant i'd had rubella twice. wasn't a big deal.
the
    > nurse told me there was no other way to do it.
    > regards
    > -=-
    > scarlett

Old Dec 5th 2002, 7:46 pm

Originally posted by Jacqueline Bergstedt
if you dont want to pay, then do them on the NHS before you leave. Or the
Doc will do them there and then for you, but it is expensive.
Regards, Jacqueline
I do want to have them done on the NHS. I've paid for enough throughout my working life, so I may as well get my money's worth!!!
Heh heh!!!
Kate. xxxxxx