Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aqueous Cream supplies!...Help!

Aqueous Cream supplies!...Help!

Old May 17th 2006, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all
Default Aqueous Cream supplies!...Help!

I tried asking this on another forum that had a health section, but no-one had an answer that helped...just a redirection to another site, that didn't help!

I suffer from dry skin, a very mild eczema that I keep under control by using aqueous cream instead of soap.(I'm allergic to soap)
It's a paraffin based emollient cream that is easily available in any UK pharmacy and is dirt cheap. I have had terrible trouble scouring the web for any reference to it in Canada. I've found some products that seem similar, but fancy brand names and very expensive.
Please if anyone knows what I am talking about, and has any suggestions on where I can get it or something similar, please let me know.
I am quite worried as I will definatly need to be able to wash when I get to Canada!!!...without all of my skin peeling off!!!
Thanks
Sally
Old May 17th 2006, 1:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aqueous Cream supplies!...Help!

I suppose, if all else fails, the thing to do is bring a big supply with you when you come, and get regular parcels sent out, and brought by any visitors! ... at least until you find something that works here.
Old May 17th 2006, 1:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I suppose, if all else fails, the thing to do is bring a big supply with you when you come, and get regular parcels sent out, and brought by any visitors! ... at least until you find something that works here.
That's what I did. Just before I left I got my GP to write a prescription for a huge quantity of exczema cream. Somewhat ironically, the condition cleared up soon after I got here.
Old May 17th 2006, 1:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Does this product have an official name?

Sounds like something my kid was using for while.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Does this product have an official name?

Sounds like something my kid was using for while.
It's name is Aqueous Cream BP, and is made by different manufacturers all calling it the same thing,
The ingredients are as follows : Liquid paraffin 6%w/w, white soft paraffin w/w, also contains Purified water, Emulsifying wax, Chlorocresol 0.1% w/w.

The BP on the end of the name refers to the country it is made in, so I was told by me local pharmacist, who I also asked this question to....she didn't know!

Morwenna and Souvenir - Yes, I probably will! I wonder how many tubs I can fit in my suitcase, and I hope it doesn't spill over the packs of paxo stuffing that apparently is also not available in Canada. Not too worried about he paxo, but would really like to be able to find this cream!
Thanks for your thoughts
Sally
Old May 17th 2006, 3:47 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Cetaphil (the best one)
It is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic. Cetaphil can be used with or without water and can even be used to clean sensitive baby rash areas. Cetaphil is used bythose currently on topical medications for various skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, etc.

http://www.cetaphil.ca/contact.cfm

Choice DM Body Wash:

I used it for my son until his eczema disappeared (bet your itchy skin does when you get here). Soothes with moisturizers to relieve dry, itchy skin. . ChoiceDM Moisturizing Body Wash provides special care for dry, sensitive skin. Non-drying formula gently cleanses and soothes to relieve dry, itchy skin. Non-irritating, fragrance-free, soap-free formula. Bristol-Myers Squibb . Made in Canada.

When the skin has cleared up, use Phisoderm, available in major drug stores at about $7.99.

There are other "cream" moisturisers too - usually found in the same place in the stores. These cleansers will always be found in the pharmacy section, not the soap/bath section.

Last edited by dingbat; May 17th 2006 at 3:49 pm.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

louisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sally h
It's name is Aqueous Cream BP, and is made by different manufacturers all calling it the same thing,
The ingredients are as follows : Liquid paraffin 6%w/w, white soft paraffin w/w, also contains Purified water, Emulsifying wax, Chlorocresol 0.1% w/w.

The BP on the end of the name refers to the country it is made in, so I was told by me local pharmacist, who I also asked this question to....she didn't know!

Morwenna and Souvenir - Yes, I probably will! I wonder how many tubs I can fit in my suitcase, and I hope it doesn't spill over the packs of paxo stuffing that apparently is also not available in Canada. Not too worried about he paxo, but would really like to be able to find this cream!
Thanks for your thoughts
Sally
i'm sure i have seen this product, or something very similar, in the Co-op. they have an online grocery delivery but you have to log in to find out. their site is www.picndel.com.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Investor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud ofInvestor has much to be proud of

BP is an abbreviation of 'British Pharmacopeia' which is a directory of contents that all such medicines have to contain regardless of whichever company manufactures it. In other words if you purchased Aqueous Cream BP
in Boots it would be exactly the same product that you would get if you purchased Lloyds own brand, but they are allowed to vary the price.

I am sure that Canada will have something similar to the British Pharmacopeia so it will be a case of looking at all the creams contained in it and finding the nearest thing to aqueous, but you probably won't get an exact match.
Old May 17th 2006, 4:06 pm

Thanks for your thoughts
Sally
That stuff sounds pretty basic. I'm sure you'll be able to find no-name brands here. BP, by the way, stands for British Pharmacopoeia, which is the complete set of standards for all medicines in the UK. It is typically found on non-branded stuff (ie the patent has run out or there never was one), like aspirin and paracetomol (get used to calling it Tylenol). Thus, if you have a pack of 500mg paracetomol BP from Boots and one from Tesco, they will be exactly the same. You will also find BP attached to the generic ingredients in branded products, such as creams.

Now, where did I put that anorak?
Old May 17th 2006, 4:54 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

The best thing to do is either try Oilatum (which u can get here) or emulsifying ointment (the base for aqeous cream). What we did was then make you own aqueous cream by adding water and mixing up. The Emulsifying oinment is liquid parafin based and fairly stiff so u might need to build some muscles up to get it mixed (I used my hands initially). A mix of 4:1 water:emulsify should be good. Off the top of my head the emulsifying is around $20 -$30 a 500g tub, not half as cheap as Boots eh.

Hope this helps
Old May 17th 2006, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Aqueous Cream supplies!...Help!

Originally Posted by nivlad
The best thing to do is either try Oilatum (which u can get here) or emulsifying ointment (the base for aqeous cream). What we did was then make you own aqueous cream by adding water and mixing up. The Emulsifying oinment is liquid parafin based and fairly stiff so u might need to build some muscles up to get it mixed (I used my hands initially). A mix of 4:1 water:emulsify should be good. Off the top of my head the emulsifying is around $20 -$30 a 500g tub, not half as cheap as Boots eh.

Hope this helps

To everyone who replied.
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!
You have all given me hope that I will not have to go around looking like a dried prune.
Sally
Old May 17th 2006, 5:10 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

To everyone who replied.
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!
You have all given me hope that I will not have to go around looking like a dried prune.
Sally
Do u use steroids? We are still using over the counter hydro we bought at boots on my daughter. We have had to use a bit during the winter when the house is very dry. Anyway, stock up with steroids, if u use them as they are a lot more expensive over here and not an over the counter drug.
Old May 17th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Do u use steroids? We are still using over the counter hydro we bought at boots on my daughter. We have had to use a bit during the winter when the house is very dry. Anyway, stock up with steroids, if u use them as they are a lot more expensive over here and not an over the counter drug.
I use the occasional dap of H5 cream, but not very often. Thanks for the warning, I'll buy acouple of tubes just in case.
Sally
Old May 17th 2006, 5:29 pm

Hope this helps
Is your obvious interest in creams in any way reflected in your user name?
Old May 17th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally h,
you could try the Shoppers Drug Mart once your in Canada, they are also on line if you want to search before you go.
You can now get Aqueous cream in a solid form similar to soap, at least it wont spill in your luggage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.