Permanent Resident Card Emergency

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default Permanent Resident Card Emergency

I'm posting this on the USA Forum for double the exposure...either way, hopefully someone can help.

Last month, the head of the HR department asked to see my Permanent Residency Card (the one I got after Adjustment of Status). I explained to her that it had been in my wallet when I lost it last year and I had never got a replacment. I showed her my passport with it's big red stamp saying I'm authorised to stay here till 2006. I showed here the official letter that said I had been successful in my application for a Permanent Residency Card. But she's now playing hardball and threatening to terminate my employment if I don't comeup with that damn ******* card.

Is it possible for me to just get a replacement card from Immigration? Or do I have to go through the whole application procedure from scratch? If so, do I need to submit all the same AOS materials, like bank statements and shit?

Jesus, this is a headache.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:37 pm
Guest21

Default Re: Permanent Resident Card Emergency

Originally Posted by Dant3
I'm posting this on the USA Forum for double the exposure...either way, hopefully someone can help.

Last month, the head of the HR department asked to see my Permanent Residency Card (the one I got after Adjustment of Status). I explained to her that it had been in my wallet when I lost it last year and I had never got a replacment. I showed her my passport with it's big red stamp saying I'm authorised to stay here till 2006. I showed here the official letter that said I had been successful in my application for a Permanent Residency Card. But she's now playing hardball and threatening to terminate my employment if I don't comeup with that damn ******* card.

Is it possible for me to just get a replacement card from Immigration? Or do I have to go through the whole application procedure from scratch? If so, do I need to submit all the same AOS materials, like bank statements and shit?

Go to the BCIS site and there is an address there as far as I remeber its where you send your card if it is printed wrong? I would send of all the relevant paperwork ie copy of the approval and all the documnets you have that Immigration have ever sent you to back your story and see what comes back at you, or if you are close and can get to your local Ins office get an info-pass and speak to someone there, they may at least give your a letter to prove that a new one is on the way.

Whiskers

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Go here: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

And read about the I-90 form. That's what you need in order to get a replacement card.

I don't think it's difficult, but I've never done it...

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 11:53 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

There is a form, the I-90 which can be filed, (for a fee, of course) in order to get a replacement card.

I see that Rene's put up a link too but this one, (above) will take you directly to the page for the form.

Seems like you'd have to re-do the biometrics though, it doesn't give you a choice.

Did you report the loss at the time?

I can't seem to find anything about what to do if you lose your green card though I think it'd be common sense to report it to the authorities.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Want to make her life miserable? She's not allowed (by law) to reverify your status. I can look up the relevants later on (this came up elsewhere recently), but it is related to form I-9 and you can find instructions *for employers* on uscis.gov and ssa.gov

HR is NOT my favorite department
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

File an I-90.

BTW, what's the emergency -- just because the HR person wants to grossly violate the law and get HER employer in trouble? It seems quite weird to me.

What is the REAL story?
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Hmm. Sounds like a little HR hardball to me! Requesting more or different documentation than the minimum necessary to meet this requirement may constitute an unfair immigration-related employment practice.

Employers must have new hires complete an I-9. The instructions on the I-9 call for one document from List A OR one document from List B and one from List C.

List A items could include:
i) Unexpired foreign passport, with I-551 stamp or attached Form I-94 indicating unexpired employment authorisation
ii) Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (USCIS Form I-151 or I-551)
iii) Unexpired Employment Authorisation Card
iV) Unexpired Employment Authorisation Document issued by USCIS that contains a photograph (USCIS Form I-688B)

If you have ONE of these, you are in compliance and the HR Mgr needs to be informed of this, in as diplomatic a manner as you see fit.

If you don't have one of the above, then you will need to provide one item from List B and one item from list C. However, if you have a valid SSN (without a not valid for work disclaimer printed on it) and a driver's licence, you're in like Flynn

An expired card cannot be used to satisfy Form I-9 requirements for new employment. Expiration dates do not affect current employment, since employers are neither required nor permitted to re-verify the employment authorisation of aliens who have presented one of these cards to satisfy I-9 requirements unless the employee has changed names or it was noted on the I-9 filled upon hiring, that the document was due to expire.

Last edited by bionomique; Jun 4th 2005 at 12:50 am.