Reload this Page >

we never really accounted for the stress side of the process

we never really accounted for the stress side of the process

Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:54 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we never really accounted for the stress side of the process

A couple of years ago when we first looked into the big move to Oz, it was all very exciting and intense, but just wanted to say that now the date for leaving gets nearer, the shipping, selling of house and everything that goes with such a big move has really taken its toll, both of us look fine, but the stress has had its effect, sleep, cant remember when we last had a good night. It does not change our minds about going but just wanted to say its not all roses and no doubt it will be the same when we first get to Perth for at least the first few months.
For you guys that hve done it, did you feel the same? and how long did it take for you to relax a little??????
Or is it simply that I'm a stressy nutter!

Suz
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:07 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we never really accounted for the stress side of the process

Originally posted by suz

For you guys that hve done it, did you feel the same? and how long did it take for you to relax a little??????

Suz

Yes it did feel the same!

Probably about six months to get through (this end) - you will get through it, your stresses to date have prepared you for the difficult time ahead in adjusting.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:11 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

i suppose it could be a little stressful,but enjoy the ride,hopefully you will only do it once.In life the journey is more important than the destination i does think.Don't worry,it could be worse ,they could have said you can't get in
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Suz,

When I look back on it all from my sun lounger, cocktail in hand, kids fanning me with bannana palms I really do think shit we must have been mad! When I read the trials and tribulations of everyone on the site you realise that it really is a gut wrenching thing to go through...

Is it worth it? Only time can tell but I hope for everyone that it is.

I was joking about the cocktail by the way! Heck I was joking about the rest of it too but it sounds good.

And yes, It does take a while to relax at the other end

DI
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I think when we look at emigrating we tend to look at all the good bits, the new house, the better weather, the relaxed new life, all the bits that we dream life will improve by. Its pretty easy while in the comfort and security of our "old life" to only look at the great bits of the new one. Then all of a sudden the moves on, jobs are gone, people are saying goodbye, its all a bit harsher. After that you land and end up having to build from scratch all you once had!! It is hard, I know when we go back to the UK I fully expect the first few months to be hell.

Can you imagine I go from Company Director with several homes and endless contacts to faceless unknown with no contacts and no income and no idea of whats what. I have to be honest I would not even know if I was being ripped off buying a house in the UK, because after 10+ years its all foreign to me. (Mind you I'm the sort who will find out pretty quick ) Can you imagine rebuilding a business from scratch after raking in business without even thinking about it?? Scary or wot. Same with giving up a good job, hard to think you might end up mowing lawns or something.

So its the same for everyone really. Probably the people who feel it less are those who have nothing to give up, I've been there, owned nothing so had nothing to loose. Much much easier.

In the end tho, you just say this is a temporary phase, look where I will be in a Year, month whatever and then its worth it.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DianeOZ
Suz,

When I look back on it all from my sun lounger, cocktail in hand, kids fanning me with bannana palms I really do think shit we must have been mad! When I read the trials and tribulations of everyone on the site you realise that it really is a gut wrenching thing to go through...

You crack me up Di, I know next month while in UKers, we will have to put up with dozens of people who really think thats how we live. Wheres me Daquiri
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:09 am
suz
Forum Regular

From my sunlounger in our empty sitting room, I raise my cup of tea to all of you who have gone before and are still sane, we must be nutters

Cheers

Suz
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Dotty

I agree with the its easier if you have nothing to leave bit, our life here is to be honest crap, through circumstances outwith our control we have had to up sticks and move 600 miles from what most would consider the safety and security of family and friends to a place where we neither like or fit in (both of which i know are connected), i know i'm classed as one of the forums dreamers and i cant wait untill dianes kids have taught mine how to fan mum with palm leaves, but when your life here is shit then your expectations of what will make it better are lower.

You must be really unhappy to give up the financial security that you appear to have in order to start over again in the UK, i only hope it lives up to your expectations and your time away hasnt coloured your memories.

Good Luck

Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I haven't got into this Oz thing....I'm here with a cup of tea too.....not a cocktail or palm tree in sight!!!

I think for us the stress came in waves. It was a big relief to get the move over and done with - so once you're on the plane, you'll feel relaxed.....of course if you're not you only have to ask for a G&T!

When we got here it was exciting - finding a place to live, chatting to locals, etc. Then it was stressful looking for jobs and realising we had no friends, our 'home' wasn't ours, we didn't really know where to 'hang out'. Then something would happen to make it exciting again (we'd make some friends or discover something wonderful in the city). It was all up and down, but even so, the 'downs' weren't really 'downs'. We knew it would take a bit of work so there was nothing unexpected that happened. It was just all a new adventure.

I think 'shutting down' your life in one country is more work than 'starting up' in a new country.

Good luck with the move, hope it all goes well and you get to Oz OK
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by suz
A couple of years ago when we first looked into the big move to Oz, it was all very exciting and intense, but just wanted to say that now the date for leaving gets nearer, the shipping, selling of house and everything that goes with such a big move has really taken its toll, both of us look fine, but the stress has had its effect, sleep, cant remember when we last had a good night. It does not change our minds about going but just wanted to say its not all roses and no doubt it will be the same when we first get to Perth for at least the first few months.

Suz
Hi Suz
we only sent our dimia app. in September via agent and i have already contracted shingles! my blood pressure is high and i now have an abnormally high cholesterol count! my hair is falling out in chunks and i can't sleep, hope that the 'gods in oz' pull their finger out otherwise i'll be suicidal by the time that yellow envelope arrives!
best wishes to you
rach
Old Oct 28th 2003, 4:57 am
suz
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,
This whole forum has been great, allows you to let off a bit of steam once in a while, I,m usually pretty laid back so this whole experience kinda took me by suprise, Steve on the other hand has sailed through it and normally its the other way round, Hey camping out in your front room is quite cool, no clutter, no dusting and no kids toys to trip you up every five mins!!!!!!!

Bye for now
Suz
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to hear from you Suz. Your 'crazy' mentality will get you through this I am sure.

The most stressful bit for us is by far selling the house and co-ordinating that with the move and other dates. Surely life will be a breeze after this. It is like organising your favourite Daughter's wedding when you can't finalise any dates or details until a few weeks before you go!!

Not too long to go now and remember if you don't like it in Perth come over and visit all of us Brissie bound
It would be good to see you again.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:16 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suz

Suz

Haven't really though about it too much: just filled in the forms, sent 'em off, answered a few emailed questions & sit around watching telly and having a quiet drink waiting to see what happens.

JOKING, OF COURSE!

I doubt there will be many contemplating a life-changing move like this, with all the attendant concerns, who are NOT stressed up to some extent.

If it starts to get you down, just take a gander out of the window.......
Old Oct 29th 2003, 5:38 am
suz
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Haven't really though about it too much: just filled in the forms, sent 'em off, answered a few emailed questions & sit around watching telly and having a quiet drink waiting to see what happens.

JOKING, OF COURSE!

I doubt there will be many contemplating a life-changing move like this, with all the attendant concerns, who are NOT stressed up to some extent.

If it starts to get you down, just take a gander out of the window.......
Hows it going Rog,
never mind me and my ramblings, I think half my problem is I'm just not very good at waiting! we all seem to do rather allot of that during this particular process!
Bye for now
Suzanne
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suz
Hows it going Rog,
never mind me and my ramblings, I think half my problem is I'm just not very good at waiting! we all seem to do rather allot of that during this particular process!
Bye for now
Suzanne
Just heard that the lab has lost Sue's blood test - so, since we're in the States at the moment (came Monday) we might have to fly back just to do that!

Not stressing, natch.......