Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah that's just what this country needs eh, a self-appointed, rich, old, weasly faced narcissist to swoop-in and save the day.

Unfortunately I expect he'll be popular and get lots of votes.
He may be rich but he is generous. He donated his 50 million from Trademe to his charitable foundation.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I had a quick look but I couldn't see any policies.

i can't see what he proposes to do - and for that reason I'm out.
The Opportunities Party (TOP) is an unregistered political party in New Zealand. It was founded by philanthropist Gareth Morgan in November 2016.[1][2] The party supports "a prosperous, fair and equitable society", environmental sustainability, and the adoption of a written constitution.[3]

So, it seems to be about endeavouring to level a very wonky playing field and to address the manifold inequalities in our society. He is also very much about the environment.

If the majority of the populous does not think the mainstream parties need a good shake up and is happy with the status quo, then I guess this country has the ineffective, self serving government it deserves.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

This wouldn't be the first time a NZ millionaire has started a party that upset the apple cart.

Bob Jones' "NZ Party" helped oust National in the 1980's

Only problem: it introduced Labour's dreaded Rogernomic's policies, and it's been mainly downhill since then.

If you haven't watched this before, you should.

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/in-...of-plenty-2002

A good background for all recent migrants.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
He may be rich but he is generous. He donated his 50 million from Trademe to his charitable foundation.
Maybe a step towards becoming the benevolent dictator.

Lets not forget that this is New Zealand and that anyone in possession of more money than they know what to do with has a 'family' trust to aid them in keeping monies away from the tax man.

The $50m from Trademe was afterall placed in the Morgan 'Family' Foundation of which his son and family would be the primary benefactor; I expect the original $50m remains largely intact and tied up in investments somewhere and is generating a reasonable income to provide funds for his ongoing benevolence.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Nov 4th 2016 at 9:04 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah that's just what this country needs eh, a self-appointed, rich, old, weasly faced narcissist to swoop-in and save the day.

Unfortunately I expect he'll be popular and get lots of votes.
Just what I was thinking lol. I def wouldn't vote for him!
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SSky
Just what I was thinking lol. I def wouldn't vote for him!
I guess it will be him, me and the other 200 that have thus far joined. Don't think there will be many more from what I can glean!!! I have never liked any main stream political party and this is something out of the ordinary.

Different values, different vision.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
The Opportunities Party (TOP) is an unregistered political party in New Zealand. It was founded by philanthropist Gareth Morgan in November 2016.[1][2] The party supports "a prosperous, fair and equitable society", environmental sustainability, and the adoption of a written constitution.[3]

So, it seems to be about endeavouring to level a very wonky playing field and to address the manifold inequalities in our society. He is also very much about the environment.

If the majority of the populous does not think the mainstream parties need a good shake up and is happy with the status quo, then I guess this country has the ineffective, self serving government it deserves.
So the one policy so far is a written constitution - which wouldn't be a bad thing and could be a step in a process to take the monarchy out of the system, but I am afraid that I remain a little bit sceptical that the whole programme could offer a better way to run the country and is no more than righteous-sounding aspirations at the moment.

I suppose that I will have to wait and see what the policies are before I can make a decision - they will be due in the 'coming months' according to the article I read on Stuff.co.nz.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 5:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

You'd rather have a written constitution than a more fluid arrangement? It occurs to me that the idea of a fixed, unchanging constitution is very dated now. Almost anything I might think to enshrine in constitution is likely to look very dated in the future.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't a written Constitution what has led to all the Right to bear arms nonsense in the US

We also have the original written constitution, the one on ten stone tablets, which has
been causing havoc for millennia

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 6th 2016 at 1:12 am.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Isn't a written Constitution what has led to all the Right to bear arms nonsense in the US
I don't think that is the cause and effect. France has a written constitution and i haven't been anywhere more civilised than there. Both France and the US are republics so have no place for a monarch hence the constitutions.

This could all be a red-herring anyway because I see on the Herald website today that his party now has 886 members as of Sunday afternoon but no policies - constitution or anything else.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I see on the Herald website today that his party now has 886 members as of Sunday afternoon but no policies - constitution or anything else.
Speaks volumes about the type of person who will be attracted to this party.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I heard him on the radio and he said the policies would be out on 8th Dec. Some of the policies sounded good, a fairer tax system for one, he didn't mention cats but hopefully he still has the curfew on them up his sleeve - that would get my vote!!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I heard him on the radio and he said the policies would be out on 8th Dec. Some of the policies sounded good, a fairer tax system for one, he didn't mention cats but hopefully he still has the curfew on them up his sleeve - that would get my vote!!
Sounds like 'mother and apple pie' policies - which usually means more spending and tax 'the rich' (who can depart when they wish) :-).
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Sounds like 'mother and apple pie' policies - which usually means more spending and tax 'the rich' (who can depart when they wish) :-).
I didn't really hear it all, just caught the end of the interview, but think it was a flat rate tax - which would be awesome!
Old Nov 6th 2016, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kotare
More government sending: sounds good to me.

Tax the rich who depart: do we need the unproductive wealthy who just use NZ as a nuclear bunker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.