Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:18 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Oh as for dinner - I have two small dinners. A small bean and mushroom and avocado salad before the gym. Some rabbit leaves in there too.

When I get home I will have chicken and a salad of olives, tomatoes, feta, cucumber, onions, garlic and capsicums. Somewhere between a med salad, a greek salad and just whatever else I find in the fridge.

But not the manky scrap bag in the fridge. I make sure I don't fish around in that.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Now might be a good time to wean him off those or make your own chicken in breadcrumbs and take on board more sneaky ways to bulk out meals with extra veggies, such as adding grated carrot to mince dishes.

If you read the food labels here, most ready made or processed meat products fall to the lowest common denominator i.e, LAMB scraps and are IMO best avoided. Pork 'fllavoured' sausages and beefburgers are usually blended with lamb and thus gives a very unusual flavour. I don't mind lamb if it's meant to be lamb, but it hacks me off when a burger that is supposed to be beef, has lamb featured high up in the contents list. The only way to go is to make your own.
I have tried making my own here but he is really a astubborn fussy so and so. Its not like weve been soft with him made him sit at table for an hour until he tried pitta bread!!! well I ask you no hope !
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shirl
Well he won't eat another suasage once he has tasted our rubbish ones here. I bought one or two packs to compare taste but there is no comparison to the UK ones. Still sausages I can easily do without!! And before you all start.... I have not tasted Doug's sausages as I am in the South Island LOL !!!
Are these just the ones from supermarkets? or are butchers ones the same? Cant imagine a B-B-Q without sausages Guess we all will have made sacrifices for our dreams
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:48 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We usually get the Tegel chicken and cheese sausages, thin virtually non-existent skin (hate thick plastic skin!). OH and kids also like venison sausages but I find them too strong a taste.

I've had a hell of a week - very stressful - and have not made it food shopping so living off if its. We'd run out of meat in the freezer, all I had was a tin of Home Brand tuna left in the pantry, 4 sheets of lasagne, 1/4 onion, a jar of Home Brand pasta sauce and a can of Home Brand sweetcorn. So tuna pasta it was! There wasn't enough mixture to cover the top layer of lasagne sheets and I didn't have enough milk to make a cheese sauce. I had two crusts of bread which I put in the food processor with a dash of milk, a bit of grated cheese, a tin of cheap toms and some Tuscan seasonings and spread that over the top.

I found 2 burger baps in the freezer and made some garlic butter and put in the last of the Tuscan seasoning and popped them in the oven for the last 5 mins so we had 1/2 a bap each.

It was actually all very tasty and filling.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
We usually get the Tegel chicken and cheese sausages, thin virtually non-existent skin (hate thick plastic skin!). OH and kids also like venison sausages but I find them too strong a taste.

I've had a hell of a week - very stressful - and have not made it food shopping so living off if its. We'd run out of meat in the freezer, all I had was a tin of Home Brand tuna left in the pantry, 4 sheets of lasagne, 1/4 onion, a jar of Home Brand pasta sauce and a can of Home Brand sweetcorn. So tuna pasta it was! There wasn't enough mixture to cover the top layer of lasagne sheets and I didn't have enough milk to make a cheese sauce. I had two crusts of bread which I put in the food processor with a dash of milk, a bit of grated cheese, a tin of cheap toms and some Tuscan seasonings and spread that over the top.

I found 2 burger baps in the freezer and made some garlic butter and put in the last of the Tuscan seasoning and popped them in the oven for the last 5 mins so we had 1/2 a bap each.

It was actually all very tasty and filling.

that actually sounds really nice, i am quite jealous now as we had fish and mushy peas last night but the tuna pasta dish sounds good
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
eat a shedload of meat and put the scraps in the bin it makes the bin rather stinky malinki.

I put my scraps and old food (I can't compost where I am) into a bag in the fridge until rubbish day. But I can't get them to do the same!
Aha ... we have a dog who scoffs all the dinner leftovers, & veg peelings, egg shells etc go in the worm farm. Even with 2 adults and 2 children we only put out a black rubbish bag once a fortnight!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
Aha ... we have a dog who scoffs all the dinner leftovers, & veg peelings, egg shells etc go in the worm farm. Even with 2 adults and 2 children we only put out a black rubbish bag once a fortnight!
we're down to a blue bag a fortnight what with recycling and the composter
but then I am like your dog, had Tuesday's dinner for lunch today.......
you serve it, I'll eat it, even when under the influence of lurgie......
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:32 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

See that's the problem. We are manic little recyclers and will take out boxes of stuff each Thursday.

So we don't have a lot of rubbish and I am loathe to pay $2.50 for a rubbish bag. The rubbish we do is stinky stuff.

I am one step away from dropping it at mums each week. But I don't think that's a good plan.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes, Pak n Save, but New World and the Warehouse do too. I don't pay either and take my own bags. Lots of people use the cardboard boxes or do it the way you suggest and just throw the loose shopping straight from the trolley into the back of the car. I couldn't be bothered with all that, as it must be ten times harder to unload when you get home. A re-usable shopping bag costs $1.39 or $2.00 for the cool bag type and they last forever.

It sums up nicely the lengths some people will go to here to save a dollar.
I still use my reusable Tescos and M&S bags over here
Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I still use my reusable Tescos and M&S bags over here
I use my reusable Sainsburys bags, which are excellent! Still going strong after 4 years
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alchris
Are these just the ones from supermarkets? or are butchers ones the same? Cant imagine a B-B-Q without sausages Guess we all will have made sacrifices for our dreams
The trouble is you don't know without trying and you have to try a lot before you find something palatable and eventually, after a while and a lot of wasted money you just say to yourself, ahh **** it, I can live without them.

Today's menu was cold boiled bacon, jacket potatoes, salad and homemade coleslaw - will be pretty much the same for lunch and possibly dinner tomorrow.

Made a lemon cake yesterday, so that was our pud.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

I put my scraps and old food (I can't compost where I am) into a bag in the fridge until rubbish day. But I can't get them to do the same!
Blokes
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I love threads like this! I made a lasagne the other day, so made enough for two and froze one so that's tonight's dinner. I pad mine out with garted carrot, pumpkin and occassionally courgette if I can sneak it in without the kids kicking off. Makes the mince go further and has the added benefit of getting some sneaky veggies into the kids!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I love threads like this! I made a lasagne the other day, so made enough for two and froze one so that's tonight's dinner. I pad mine out with garted carrot, pumpkin and occassionally courgette if I can sneak it in without the kids kicking off. Makes the mince go further and has the added benefit of getting some sneaky veggies into the kids!
we have lasagne too but it started out life as spag. bol. (the favourite of Lardy MkIII).
there's a great veggie lasagne where you just slice up and boil up the veges first and then layer that - our kids have eaten it with lots of ketchup. MarkII is learning to eat his greens but MkIII often turns his nose up at everything.

Off to make the salad now
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alchris
I have tried making my own here but he is really a astubborn fussy so and so. Its not like weve been soft with him made him sit at table for an hour until he tried pitta bread!!! well I ask you no hope !
My youngest was the fussiest of eaters,my eldest eats anything.Brought up the same just as yours. He had the plainest of things and as for eating meat!!!!! Since we came here the wee one has tried and likes chicken,beef and different fish fingers ( would only eat birds eye back home ) as well as trying yams and other veggies. He also likes venison sausages.We are now growing our own veggies and he is really keen to try them once they are ready. So there is hope,honest.

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.