Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most.....about NZ?!

What do you miss most.....about NZ?!

Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default What do you miss most.....about NZ?!

Okay, a bit of a twist on the original 'What do you miss most?' thread already on here!

So for those of us still in the planning stage of emigration, (and stuck in the UK!)... what do you miss most about New Zealand?

For me it's:

The beautiful scenery,
The fresh air,
The friendly folk,
The lack of crowds,
The open spaces,
Speights Distinction Ale,
Scroggin bars

Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most.....about NZ?!

Hey good one!
I miss ... my cousins
Perky nanas
the weather
my cousins
Perky Nanas...
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was last back in the UK, I missed:

Toffee Pops
Nice Orange Juice
Good Coffee
Jim Hickey
Richard Till
My car!

Amongst other things!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I missed when back in UK last was:
the wonderful Wellington coffee

Longterm would probably also miss the scenery, the higher sunshine hours and the fairer voting system but that's about it.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 6:51 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I was back in the UK I missed

The flat white Coffee
Getting my shopping packed for me
The Scenery
Friendly people in shops
Tasty Streaks
My Home
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

The scenery esp the ruggedness of the South Island/Dunedin and Central Otago.
Chocolate fish.
Buzz bars.
Pineapple lumps.
Rashuns.
Twisties.
Potato top pies.
Mince and cheese pies.
Speights.
Proper milkshakes.
Ice creams dipped in chocolate.
Flat white coffee.
(Right better get off food now!!)
The blue skies and fresh air.
My family
Less crowds and fewer people.
The All Blacks and watching test matches in the House of Pain.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I was in NZ, Whangaparaoa \ Stanmore bay area 1998 \ 1999. I know it was 10 years ago. But sitting out on the deck in the sun, watching the world go by was amazing!

I miss the fact I can't do that here and wish that someday! Someday I can do that again but under my (our) own steam!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:37 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
The All Blacks and watching test matches in the House of Pain.
We might have seen the last of those with the French test earlier this year. The new stadium is coming along nicely though!
Old Sep 27th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by irnbru14
When I was last back in the UK, I missed:

Toffee Pops
Nice Orange Juice
Good Coffee
Jim Hickey
Richard Till
My car!

Amongst other things!
Jim Hickey is my Uncle and he lives in Dorset!?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newnip
Does he fly in every week to do the weather on TV One?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Does he fly in every week to do the weather on TV One?
Quite possibly - he is a bit mad! Although I'm not sure the New Zealanders would get his thick brummy accent!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

cows_go_moo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newnip
My dad lived next door to Jim Hickey's sister when I was a kid and his parents lived on the other side of them. They were the lovliest people ever and I always remember Jim giving us a ride on his trailer and getting my name wrong.