Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most??

What do you miss most??

Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

crumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to beholdcrumpy10 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: What do you miss most??

NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!

where do we sign????

are you serious???

roll on EOI etc etc!!

Anna
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most??

Originally Posted by metsecman
There are three yeast extract products available here and I like them all. Marmite (NZ version of Marmite) MyMate (imported UK version) and Vegemite (Australian version).
It is not illegal to distill alcohol here so you can make loads of Gin.
I stand corrected but I was close

I'd just like to point out that my gin is from that very nice man Gordon & is not homemade. Actually, I've a bottle of Tanqueray as well
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough

muller corner yogurts ,how sad am I ??cant get on with nz yogurts !!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:20 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

With you Vitalstatistix on the double cream. There seems to be only one type of cream in fact, no choice of single or double
Not sure I agree with you on the hamsters though, I thought this was a thread about food?I know the Syrian ones can be large [compared to other breeds] but there can't be much meat on them

I miss good cheese and sausages

Last edited by Persephone; Jul 3rd 2009 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
With you Vitalstatistix on the double cream. There seems to be only one type of cream in fact, no choice of single or double
Not sure I agree with you on the hamsters though, I thought this was a thread about food?I know the Syrian ones can be large [compared to other breeds] but there can't be much meat on them

I miss good cheese and sausages
Oops! Just re-read the OP's post I was obviously having a blonde moment. Though my Dad used to threaten to serve our hamsters on a round of toast. I have been emotionally scarred by this ever since
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:47 am
Just Joined

jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough

Oatibix (hate the NZ weetbix - it's not spelled correctly anyway!!)
Anything M&S, especially their cauliflower cheese
Hotel Chocolat (I think I'm going to cry ...)
A really good curry
IKEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matalan & Wilkos
UK TV/humour (too Yankified here)
BOGOFs

Despite missing all these things, plus family & friends, I still couldn't go back & live in the UK.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

BigStuey is an unknown quantity at this point

Club Biscuits.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

Post coming through your door in the morning! Wide selection of newspapers, Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Doughnuts. Soft, doughy, covered in sugar and filled with jam. The sort you get 10 for £1 at any supermarket...not the hard American style ring doughnuts you get here.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

newnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud ofnewnip has much to be proud of

OOh yes, doughnuts, caramel or vanilla ones, jam at a push, that dribble as you're trying to eat them - I want one (or several) now!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:54 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most?? Cream

[QUOTE=Persephone;7720152]With you Vitalstatistix on the double cream. There seems to be only one type of cream in fact, no choice of single or double

I missed the huge variety of cream when I got here 4 years ago, but now don't at all. If you want single that's easy, in every supermarket. If you want double you whisk it for 2/3 minutes and hey presto yummy double cream. A lot of supermarkets sell extra thick cream if you are interested and if you find a good mediteranean shop such as in Wellington and Paraparaumu you can find clotted cream too sometimes. With most things in New Zealand you can get a lot of things somewhere but just need to shop around or make it yourself with very little effort. I love the fact that there are not rows and rows of preprepared meals, precut carrots and premashed potatoes all with loads of preserved things and E numbers in them.
I have really learned how to cook really good healthy food from scratch since arriving here and bake and cook just for pleasure now at the weekends. Something I never would have done in England. My 11yr old daughter is always in the kitchen and now cooks occasional dinners for us as well as baking yummy stuff in the week.
Def a change in lifestyle for my family, and all for the good. Haven't had a chicken nugget in 4yrs!!!

Last edited by Biddy; Sep 12th 2009 at 7:57 pm.