Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:14 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taboo-subjects in NZ?

Originally Posted by englishheaven
I dont know why they are so obsessed with Gallipoli, there were more British there than ANZACS. I suppose that comes from having very little history to be proud of.
As I said, it was not to do with numbers. It's to do with intent, nation building, being NZ (or Australian) rather than British etc etc etc. Generally I hate references to nation building but I think it's hard to deny that the feeling exists. Regardless whether you so believe it.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Good ideas to start an argument - point out:
1. Which country actually conquered Everest first.
2. Anything to do with the All Blacks and how crap they are.
3. Discuss how small and insignificant their pathetic little country is.
4. NZ houses are not habitable in winter.
5. Watties is shit.
6. Christmas should be cold.
7. The weather in NZ is the same as in England.
8. Their media is biased
9. Ignorance is not bliss, and
10. They should move to Australia and actually be paid for their work.

Obviously this post is just in response to the original question, and these topics should be avoided when speaking with a Kiwi (or a Brit expat!)
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:32 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Right. The gloves...they be off.

It takes a lot to wind me up. Although, actually I did the other day when someone started spurting on about pacific island imports to the All Blacks, raiding the islands and scouting for players.

I pointed out that it was relatively racist (assumption that the players were not kiwi simply because the were also from the Islands, not to mention those born here, those raised here and all sorts of reasons) and a tired argument i would soooooo win. I did btw. Easiest argument to refute.

Last edited by Kiwiprincess; Apr 15th 2009 at 5:35 am. Reason: brevity darling
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:36 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Another thing which annoys me: Wellington Wind, or more specifically, landing at Wellington Airport.

Born & Bred Wellingtonian says: You haven't landed until you come in sideways.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:37 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Like I said, not much annoys me

Or, a lot does. But that's not to do with being a kiwi
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

Ask a Kiwi to say "fish and chips"
Old Apr 15th 2009, 5:57 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Yeah I keep disappointing people on that one. Something's weird with my vowels. 'A's get mangled as a typical kiwi would (oddly, not all words though). But the 'I' is somewhere in between a kiwi and a non-kiwi vowel.

No wonder people think i am odd.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishheaven
I dont know why they are so obsessed with Gallipoli, there were more British there than ANZACS. I suppose that comes from having very little history to be proud of.
Bit of an arrogant thing to say.

Do you think NZ'ers were magically created out of thin air? The vast majority of them can lay claim to the same history as you can though their English/Scottish/Irish ancestors.

In any case if you don't understand the importance of things like ANZACs then you should perhaps educate yourself. Your statement is pretty much the equivalent of saying Remembrance Day in the UK means nothing.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71

Do you think NZ'ers were magically created out of thin air? The vast majority of them can lay claim to the same history as you can though their English/Scottish/Irish ancestors.

In any case if you don't understand the importance of things like ANZACs then you should perhaps educate yourself. Your statement is pretty much the equivalent of saying Remembrance Day in the UK means nothing.
...which for most Brits, it does. Maybe the kiwi pride shown on ANZAC day is something which differentiates a proud nation like NZ from one like UK
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Grizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash1
The kiwi`s wont tolerate any disrespect about the All Blacks. Where as us pomms accept that we aren`t going to win the football world cup because our team is crap but we support them anyway , the kiwi`s will not accept that they aren`t the world champions and every game they lose they were robbed !!!!! Roll on 2011. I`d love to see England beat them in the final.
Ash
Are you kidding? The reason I'm leaving Scotland is that I am fed up with the English attitude. They think it is their right to win everything, I'm fed up hearing about '66 (but never mention '67), as a nation England seems to have forgotten that it would have achieved nothing had it not been for its neighbours and colonies. Speaking of which, lets not forget English history, it was the English who, when colonising America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, murdered the aboriginal population and their culture. The only way I'd consider staying is if they put Alan Hanson on a desert island, and yes I know he's Scottish, but he turned to the dark side years ago.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grizz
Are you kidding? The reason I'm leaving Scotland is that I am fed up with the English attitude. They think it is their right to win everything, I'm fed up hearing about '66 (but never mention '67), as a nation England seems to have forgotten that it would have achieved nothing had it not been for its neighbours and colonies. Speaking of which, lets not forget English history, it was the English who, when colonising America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, murdered the aboriginal population and their culture. The only way I'd consider staying is if they put Alan Hanson on a desert island, and yes I know he's Scottish, but he turned to the dark side years ago.
Someone's bitter - and in need of a history lesson
Old Apr 15th 2009, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Someone's bitter - and in need of a history lesson

I, that's right mate, it's everyone else who needs history lessons. Bitter? Its you who's complaining about NZ. Everyone has a right to see their own nation through rose colored glasses, NZ looks like a beautiful place to me, their Rugby team is consistently in the top few teams so I think they have a right to be proud.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:01 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grizz
I know what '66 means but what does '67 mean? Celtic won the European cup?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Scotland beat the world cup winning team, if you ever watch the game you will see Scotland ripped the p1ss, shame it's the only time they have done that. And yes Celtic became the first team in thr UK to win the European Cup, again Scottish football went on a decline, especially after the death of Jock Stien and Alax Ferguson went down south. At least we still have the scenery.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71

NZ's history (or lack of) - I guess that's another thing not to talk about!! Haha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.